Fund set up amid claims 83 year old Brit was held prisoner near Bangkok while Thais siphoned off his pension

webfact

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

The British Embassy can arrange for re-patriation but not always without cost.  It will depend on the person's ability to pay now or later.  

The guy in the story has a pension and he has family in UK

i don't see any valid reason for the British consulate to not do something

they are sure at 100% to be paid back for the ticket plane in this case

We're all quick to jump to conclusions, eh?  We don't know the whole story. Thinking objectively, this could also be a case of the old lad has a thai wife or girlfriend, they grew older, he can't go anywhere, the thai extended family take care of him (yes, of course that could mean many things) and they use the pension money to feed and house him under an arrangement where some of that funds their livelihood as well... some symbiotic relationship? the bird on the hippo? mutualism not parasitism? And maybe, just maybe, he doesn't want to return to sunny England.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chivo said:

We're all quick to jump to conclusions, eh?  We don't know the whole story. Thinking objectively, this could also be a case of the old lad has a thai wife or girlfriend, they grew older, he can't go anywhere, the thai extended family take care of him (yes, of course that could mean many things) and they use the pension money to feed and house him under an arrangement where some of that funds their livelihood as well... some symbiotic relationship? the bird on the hippo? mutualism not parasitism? And maybe, just maybe, he doesn't want to return to sunny England.

You can be right, but it's still a scam

if your story is the reality, and it could be 

the old guy wasn't a prisoner at all, and if he doesn't want

to return in UK (And i can understand him,particularly with the virus crisis)

why the gofundme for the ticket plane?

• Like 1

Older people can be abused easily. There s’ an old gent in my ex condo, ( moved out) as mad as a hatter. He has a great 3 room corner which must have cost a bit. I always felt so sorry for him, tried to speak, but he only mutters in maybe Swedish . I have no idea how he manages alone.

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

One of the dangers of growing old in Thailand ... make sure your family do not have a history of dementia ... because then your fate is tied to the kindness (or unkindness) of strangers.

Dementia is not hereditary, educate yourself.

9 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Maybe he doesn't even exist.

Nice easy 1,000 quid made from 10 minutes of creating a Fund Me page? 

Obviously you have zero knowledge of the UK government pension.

Of course he has money be it if only 6,000 bt per week 

We are born to cheat and lie. It is not learned behavior but in DNA. 

There is no difference between Thai and non Thai. 

All human cheat and steal when given an opportunity. 

It is your responsibility to guard yourself. 

And thanks for the advice for me, "why buying, rent". 

1 hour ago, JulieM said:

Here is the relevant Facebook page:  timeline?lst=1065495107:509210157:158990

So the facebook page has been deleted?

I hope the Thai police is going to dig in this story

the false statement of Thais abusing an old pensioner

is at least an attempt at the country reputation.

The Thai immigration has already all the datas about this crook

it's time now to stop it and get him out of the country

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

So the facebook page has been deleted?

I hope the Thai police is going to dig in this story

the false statement of Thais abusing an old pensioner

is at least an attempt at the country reputation.

The Thai immigration has already all the datas about this crook

it's time now to stop it and get him out of the country

The Facebook page has not been deleted. The link works for me. Search Facebook for Declan Jamrs Theodore. That is not a typo. The second name is shown as Jamrs on Facebook.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trolling4warlords said:

Are you lot really this gullible to believe this? Where is the video of good old "Ron" going to pick up this pensioner? Where is the video of this pensioner saying thank you? I mean according many you, Thais are scammers and thieves but OH No not good old RON! He couldn't possibly be a scammer. ONLY Thais are scammers! 

Pathetic 

i sat with a group of four Farangs last night,(obviously socially distanced) two out the four had lost houses and a fair bit of money to their x Thai wives, one lad had also paid for a lease so he can live in the house he paid for,The lad who seen me off the night before had ''lost'' £750.000 with a silly amount of land he had paid for....out of the six people that i spoke to that is 50%

so is it the people i knock about with or is it the law in Thailand that makes it so easy both in regulation and enforcement . Pathetic is right

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zoza said:

i sat with a group of four Farangs last night,(obviously socially distanced) two out the four had lost houses and a fair bit of money to their x Thai wives, one lad had also paid for a lease so he can live in the house he paid for,The lad who seen me off the night before had ''lost'' £750.000 with a silly amount of land he had paid for....out of the six people that i spoke to that is 50%

so is it the people i knock about with or is it the law in Thailand that makes it so easy both in regulation and enforcement . Pathetic is right

No one admits to being had over.There are more that have been screwed  than happy. But what do i know ive only been here seeing it for 28 years.

The land of fake smiles and evil little barstuards...... I've seen this little chestnut done a few times.....   Nearly as good as the loving wife slowly poisoning the husband and then taking control of the finances........ Another little gem in the land of the devious.... Oooh yes, let's retire in Thailand..... Really ? About as safe as playing Russian roulette with an automatic.....