Fund set up amid claims 83 year old Brit was held prisoner near Bangkok while Thais siphoned off his pension

webfact

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do you know what allegedly means? One person is making this claim, I have yet to see any proof that it's true.

al·leg·ed·ly
Used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, although there is no proof.
That's why I added allegedly. 
2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Allegedly this is false imprisonment and theft in Thailand of an elderly gentelmen. 

Mate calm down.

Edited by dinsdale

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Living here full time for 11 years here is a "Johnny come lately"?  That's a bit like the "I used to live in shoebox in the middle of the road" skit.

Int middle o road lad..... And yeah you were late..... 1990-2000...... the best..... after 2010 it was over..... You've got a year or two to pick a life boat.......  maybe.... 

On the fundraiser there is a comment from Marion Phillips saying “thank you so much for your kind donations, it means so much to my dad.” Then on Marion Phillips Facebook page there’s this picture which seems to be of her dad.

4F53477E-7272-4143-96DA-6CF9E6C3B810.jpeg

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

On the fundraiser there is a comment from Marion Phillips saying “thank you so much for your kind donations, it means so much to my dad.” Then on Marion Phillips Facebook page there’s this picture which seems to be of her dad.

4F53477E-7272-4143-96DA-6CF9E6C3B810.jpeg

Yes and?

Have you contacted Marion Philips to know more about this story?

On the fundraiser they were also few other messages

one concerning the British legion and another Lloyd for help

did the family contact these people? On her facebook the family doesn't seem 

to be without money, why they need to go un a gofundme to have their dad comeback?

Plus still on the site there was another message (Now the message is not longer here)

with someone asking why this amount of money for the plane and indicate a cheap flight

with Lufthansa, the answer from the ''rescuer'' was the old guy has some back problems and

he needs a special plane...

What else? Someone here has contacted the british embassy or consulate about this case?

i think they need to be informed that the ''rescuer'' argue on public they don't want to take

care of the case

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 1:43 PM, giddyup said:

I suppose you'll never see an elderly pensioner being scammed in a western country.

You will, but not with the tacit connivance of the local police; not with the local government enacting racist laws;dual pricing; mediaeval property-owning laws.

LOL = Land of Lawyers.

Too bad he has to repatriate.  Under a watchful eye (assuming he may have dementia), with a trusted person in charge of finances, he probably could have lived a better life here rather than in UK.

I know it’s hard to manage when folks get this old, but there must be some legal firms that handle management of old folks’ money (who aren’t scam outfits) or having a trusted executor (key word being *trusted*) to step in.

That’s why I’ve already set up a younger, trusted executor (with backup and oversight) for my modest finances if I suddenly stroke out, etc.

Poor fella...

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

You will, but not with the tacit connivance of the local police; not with the local government enacting racist laws;dual pricing; mediaeval property-owning laws.

LOL = Land of Lawyers.

And all this is happening in this case is it? Or are you just venting?

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 2:41 AM, Canuck1966 said:

Thais know they can do what they want to foreigners without recourse from the police/law

Truly repugnant quagmire of a place

Flights to your home country are probably available...please take one.

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

And all this is happening in this case is it? Or are you just venting?

I was replying to a comment from a poster who said this happens in other countries.  Yes I was venting having fallen foul of all of the sins I quoted.

What's the guy's Visa status? If it's OK let him decide where to live and pay his own way back if he wants to go. Too many stories of poor old Brits on TV. A while back there was one of a son wanting to get Dad back home to a nursing home, because he was spending everything on wine, women and song.  Then there was another recently of a Brit who had no money to pay a 1700 Baht hospital bill in Lopburi. I think foreigners in Thailand need to show they have financial resources to get Visa in Thailand. What's going on? I smell a scam.

8 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

What's the guy's Visa status? If it's OK let him decide where to live and pay his own way back if he wants to go. Too many stories of poor old Brits on TV. A while back there was one of a son wanting to get Dad back home to a nursing home, because he was spending everything on wine, women and song.  Then there was another recently of a Brit who had no money to pay a 1700 Baht hospital bill in Lopburi. I think foreigners in Thailand need to show they have financial resources to get Visa in Thailand. What's going on? I smell a scam.

If you think this only happens to Brits you may need to broaden your racist horizons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

If you think this only happens to Brits you may need to broaden your racist horizons.

Probably not, but all three articles were Brits. Maybe the British community should find a way to look after their own.

Edited by checkered flag

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

But considering they won WW2 their pensions are disgusting according to posts here. They should be the highest in Europe.

3 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

But considering they won WW2 their pensions are disgusting according to posts here. They should be the highest in Europe.

Agree that British pensions are too low. However, it shouldn't be Thailand's obligation to take care of them.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 1:43 PM, giddyup said:

I suppose you'll never see an elderly pensioner being scammed in a western country.

Must happen I guess - abuse by family more likely - attacks on pensioners in their homes do make it into the UK press.

Why would an elderly poor British pensioner want to come to Thailand esp as an ExPat? Did he blow his fortunes or was he poor at the start? I think there are many Thais that need my help more than him. If the author is so concerned he should help him and be done with it instead of making all Brits look bad. Take care of your own is my advice.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 5:27 PM, Boycie said:

Studio_20200522_172452.png.9ed97906071c736b3bc0667c7a1cd1c6.png

No any photo from Ron at the airport gate? Or in the plane?

Maybe a copy of the ticket plane? 

Well if ''just a quick update'' is enough for the donors

we can be sure to read more of these ''stories'' in the future

Edited by kingofthemountain