Hygeinic procedure when wearing masks to restaurants

Jingthing

43 minutes ago, Fling said:

I rarely wear a mask even going to the mall. 

Where do you live? 

It's required to enter malls in Thailand now. Not sure if that applies to all provinces. 

Anyway this is about restaurants in Thailand where it's required to wear a mask to enter. Including mall restaurants. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fling said:

Maybe just take off the mask before you eat huh. Seriously 

Obviously you need access to the mouth to eat. 

Some people lower the mask to their chin.

That's considered a bad practice by medical experts. 

So taking off the masks. 

Then later back on. 

There are protocols for mask wearing that generally involve putting it on at home and never removing it until back home. Hand washing before both. 

Restaurants are not home. 

So that breaks the protocol. 

The specific details of that matters.

Asking here for very specific details of best practices to do that in a restaurant. 

There has been suggestions about those details posted here. 

Thank you to those who have posted on topic. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If ever there was a topic to justify the Thai phrase 'Farang think too much' - this is it !

:sorry:

I know you want this to be serious topic Jingthing, but the simplicty of it and consequent 'over-thought' does add an element of W.T.Flook

There are thousands of articles and YouTube videos on mask wearing protocol. 

But there is almost nothing on this specific complication of being required to wear masks to enter restaurants and then the specific best practices protocol for that when you need to eat. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Where do you live? 

It's required to enter malls in Thailand now. Not sure if that applies to all provinces. 

Anyway this is about restaurants in Thailand where it's required to wear a mask to enter. Including mall restaurants. 

You’ve been reading this site way too much apparently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So taking off the masks. 

Then later back on. 

There are protocols for mask wearing that generally involve putting it on at home and never removing it until back home. Hand washing before both. 

Restaurants are not home. 

So that breaks the protocol. 

The specific details of that matters.

Asking here for very specific details of best practices to do that in a restaurant. 

There has been suggestions about those details posted here. 

Thank you to those who have posted on topic. 

You’d think that would be obvious ???? 

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If ever there was a topic to justify the Thai phrase 'Farang think too much' - this is it !

I know you want this to be serious topic Jingthing, but the simplicty of it and consequent 'over-thought' does add an element of W.T.Flook

Thank you ???? ???? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are thousands of articles and YouTube videos on mask wearing protocol. 

But there is almost nothing on this specific complication of being required to wear masks to enter restaurants and then the specific best practices protocol for that when you need to eat. 

Its hardly a complication. Do we really need YouTube video's for common sense protocol?

Wear it in there, take it off when you are eating. Put a new one on after eating. Dispose of the old one in your pocket (or in a bag in your pocket), put it in the bin on the way out of the restaurant - Does something so basic really need a set of guidelines?

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its hardly a complication. Do we really need YouTube video's for common sense protocol?

Wear it in there, take it off when you are eating. Put a new one on after eating. Dispose of the old one in your pocket (or in a bag in your pocket), put it in the bin on the way out of the restaurant - Does something so basic really need a set of guidelines?

If it was so obvious why do most people lower the masks to their chins? 

Also if removing the mask most people are going to put on the same mask later. 

In that case as they are in public not at home there must be best practices as far as hygiene, where and exactly how to position the soiled mask, and then reapplying. 

Sure there 100 ways to do that poorly.

I'm looking for best practices in a similar way that you can find best practices for making up at home. 

The restaurant thing really is a complication whether you realize that or not. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Surgical masks will only prevent sick people from infecting others.

Don't you guys have n95's in Thailand now?

N95 (and goggles) is the only thing that will protect you from the virus.

Besides the numbers are so low in Thailand - what are you worried about?

15 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

This isn't about N95 masks.

In Thailand most people have been wearing cloth or surgical masks to PROTECT OTHERS. That works if most people do it.

They are still required to wear in Thailand.

They are required to enter malls, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

Thailand's numbers like almost everywhere are an UNDERCOUNT.

Testing has been very limited.

The majority of people infected especially the low or asymptomatic never enter the official radar. 

Then on the other end if people die at home there is no reason to test them. 

• Haha 1

I found a medical source on taking masks off and then reusing them. They suggest placing it inside side up on a clean paper towel or plastic container. I guess you could carry a paper towel in a plastic bag and then do that at a restaurant. Putting the mask itself into  plastic bag might work too but I think that would be trickier to do without touching the mask in the wrong places.

While I'm in no rush to go to restaurants under these current conditions, if/when I do, I think I'm sorted now on best practices for dealing with the mask at the restaurant. 

Perhaps some other people might find this information useful for their masked restaurant adventures as well.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This isn't about N95 masks.

In Thailand most people have been wearing cloth or surgical masks to PROTECT OTHERS. That works if most people do it.

They are still required to wear in Thailand.

They are required to enter malls, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

Thailand's numbers like almost everywhere are an UNDERCOUNT.

Testing has been very limited.

The majority of people infected especially the low or asymptomatic never enter the official radar. 

Then on the other end if people die at home there is no reason to test them. 

15% of people who catch covid will need to be hospitalized. That is how they know how many people have it or not. You can't hide that. People who are sick will go and get tested.

If you have 10 cases in Thailand it means there is no more than 50-100 asymptomatic.

Those cloth masks only work so well. Wearing an N95 will protect the users especially if they are on the bus or crowded place.

I might add that you have a higher chance of catching dengue or Japanese encephalitis than covid this days.

Edited by Don Chance

4 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Honestly it probably doesn’t even do that. Maybe if you work in a hospital you might need a mask but not in the cafeteria ????

• Like 1

Germaphobes should stay home and watch U Tube videos on staying safe. If you have to take out the trash or answer the door for Food Panda you should put on a full hazmat suit. You should also tell Food Panda guy to keep the change because  you never know who touched the money. Do you also wipe down your keyboard after every use?

If venturing out to a store you should take a supply of fresh masks and alc gell to disinfect yourself from the grummy population. You can't be too careful because Thailand is still reporting an occasional new case every day. 

Of course doing such would make your immune system s*it and leave you at higher risk.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I found a medical source on taking masks off and then reusing them. They suggest placing it inside side up on a clean paper towel or plastic container. I guess you could carry a paper towel in a plastic bag and then do that at a restaurant. Putting the mask itself into  plastic bag might work too but I think that would be trickier to do without touching the mask in the wrong places.

While I'm in no rush to go to restaurants under these current conditions, if/when I do, I think I'm sorted now on best practices for dealing with the mask at the restaurant. 

Perhaps some other people might find this information useful for their masked restaurant adventures as well.

I found a trash can for mine. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 5:57 AM, bodga said:

Which will  probably  never  come,  throw  the  mask  away  and  take  your  chances

Oh ye of little faith  https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/oxford-university-covid-19-vaccine-monkey-data ,  might never be totally eradicated but a vaccine will enable us to survive the virus , imho

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fling said:

This really is a joke seriously wearing a mask in a restaurant I wouldn’t put up with bs like this in the United States and I don’t put up with it here either. 

Nobody in their right mind sees the USA as an example to follow on virus policy. 

Anyway its not a joke. 

As Thailand is opening up its restaurants to limited in house service masks are required to enter the restaurants. 

Obviously you can't eat with them fully on.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, checkered flag said:

You can't be too careful because Thailand is still reporting an occasional new case every day. 

Not. Reporting cases of people who have returned from abroad and are in quarantine. Hardly any from contamination in Thailand. Much less than one per day.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Don Chance said:

15% of people who catch covid will need to be hospitalized. That is how they know how many people have it or not. You can't hide that. People who are sick will go and get tested.

If you have 10 cases in Thailand it means there is no more than 50-100 asymptomatic.

Those cloth masks only work so well. Wearing an N95 will protect the users especially if they are on the bus or crowded place.

I might add that you have a higher chance of catching dengue or Japanese encephalitis than covid this days.

Only those people that have severe symptoms are hospitalized not 15%. Estimates are that 15 -20% of the population has the infection but are asymptomatic.  It seems that most of those in the hospital have underlying conditions that makes them susceptible, including old age.  

Your right that dengue and JapB encephalitis are more serious but are transmitted by mosquitoes, not airborne.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So taking off the masks. 

Then later back on. 

If you want the actual protocol. Every time take mask off mouth/ nose discard it and put on a new one when necessary. How much money do you have?

Putting a used mask on is just as bad as having one around one's neck.

I used to wear a surgical mask for most of my working day, so I know a bit about their use. I didn't have to pay for them.

3 hours ago, superal said:

Oh ye of little faith  https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/oxford-university-covid-19-vaccine-monkey-data ,  might never be totally eradicated but a vaccine will enable us to survive the virus , imho

IF and that's a big IF they develop and test and have available a safe vaccine for billions of people, it MIGHT be available before herd immunity is reached by people catching it and recovering. I'm putting my money on a vaccine being too late to help much.

Jesus OP, masks give u 0 protection from real viruses. Fat 0. U need hazamat suit. On the top of that this virus is not dangerous as fake media tells us, as well there is no virus around. Mask will make you sick before any virus do.

• Like 2