Hygeinic procedure when wearing masks to restaurants

Jingthing

15 hours ago, timendres said:

Practically speaking, if you are this concerned about the virus, you should not be eating in a restaurant. There are quite a number of videos showing the very high degree of exposure inherent in eating out, and your mask is the very least of your concerns. Personally, I do not know why anyone would want to eat out under the current conditions. There is zero allure to eating in a restaurant at this time. I am not referring to the risk of exposure to the virus. I am referring to the fact that there is nothing appealing about eating in a restaurant under the current nonsense that is being implemented.

The only thing appealing to eating in a restaurant is that your food tastes much much better then letting it being send home by grab or wichever delivery service or when buying it there and bringing it home yourself . 

12 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

You could always put a button hole in the mask, for your frag.  It would be good because you could reinhail your second hand smoke and spare the rest of us.

Why would you want sparing? Cigarette smoking has been proved as efficacious as hydroxychloroquine for warding off Covid-19. Even the Donald has taken up smoking.

Trump Smoking a Bong - Imgur           Trump Smoking weed Blank Template - Imgflip         What has he been smoking?': Swedes scratch heads at Trump's ...

Edited by Phil McCaverty

42 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Why would you want sparing? Cigarette smoking has been proved as efficacious as hydroxychloroquine for warding off Covid-19. Even the Donald has taken up smoking.

Trump Smoking a Bong - Imgur           Trump Smoking weed Blank Template - Imgflip         What has he been smoking?': Swedes scratch heads at Trump's ...

Good to see you're a MAGA supporter. Now we have one thing in common.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Not compared to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Just putting this out there. All of those countries have a similar climate and socially distance by nature. Shaking hands and hugging each other in the street isn't the norm.

Others suggest that Thais are genetically disposed to having a resistance. Its been shown in several countries that those from certain ethnic groups are more at risk than others. 

Maybe the Thai government is the dogs rollocks. Maybe after years of research we'll know the real reason. Just be thankful, as I am, to be living in Thailand at this point in history, one of the safest places on the planet.

According to official figures Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam have had 0 Covid-19 related deaths, Myanmar has 6 officially record Covid-19 relate deaths - I struggle to believe that, however, looking at the Johns Hopkins University hospital map there are a lot of nations which have very low numbers of deaths, these nations are generally considered 'developing nations', I wonder if they have carried out many tests.

I wonder if carrying out many tests in Europe and the US has not 'over reported' what could be considered harmless cases of Covid-19 (if there is such a thing) and that the deaths have been heavily over reported (i.e. an alligator ate a man who died of Covid-19) and that many of the deaths in the UK for example are 'over reported'.

But, it has been reported that there is an 'increase' in deaths for 2020 (20,000 more people died compared to previous years - for the first 17 weeks of the year).

It would be interesting to see Thailand's figures for Total deaths averaged out for the past 10 years for the first 17 weeks and compare to the total deaths for the first 17 weeks this year.

I think this is the best way to evaluate the risk and decide if we need to take such measures as continuing to avoid restaurants, whether kids go back to school etc and whether we need to wear face masks at all.

Washing hands remains key, not just to kill SARS-CoV-2, but to limit the spread of any illness, from the regular cold, to Influenza to bacteria borne sicknesses.

Personal hygiene is absolutely key at the 'herd level' and I think this is far more effective in the long run than wearing a face-mask.

That said, I don't see any harm in wearing face masks in tightly compact busy areas such as the BTS or on a bus, in a restaurant wearing a face mask seems like overkill.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I always thought that wearing a mask was to protect other people and not yourself.

Exactly. 

The exceptions are certain medical professionals etc. that wear different kinds of masks to protect themselves because they are exposed to massive viral loads. 

• Like 1

Hand washing is important but it's useless to prevent infection from breathing droplets which is the main risk in restaurants. 

Again there seems to be a ridiculous disconnect with many of the responses. 

This is not a pros and cons of masks thread. 

It's specifically about localities where it is MANDATORY to wear a mask to enter restaurants. When that is the case and it is the case in much of Thailand now then you need to somehow properly deal with your mask before eating. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

According to official figures Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam have had 0 Covid-19 related deaths, Myanmar has 6 officially record Covid-19 relate deaths - I struggle to believe that, however, looking at the Johns Hopkins University hospital map there are a lot of nations which have very low numbers of deaths, these nations are generally considered 'developing nations', I wonder if they have carried out many tests.

I wonder if carrying out many tests in Europe and the US has not 'over reported' what could be considered harmless cases of Covid-19 (if there is such a thing) and that the deaths have been heavily over reported (i.e. an alligator ate a man who died of Covid-19) and that many of the deaths in the UK for example are 'over reported'.

But, it has been reported that there is an 'increase' in deaths for 2020 (20,000 more people died compared to previous years - for the first 17 weeks of the year).

It would be interesting to see Thailand's figures for Total deaths averaged out for the past 10 years for the first 17 weeks and compare to the total deaths for the first 17 weeks this year.

I think this is the best way to evaluate the risk and decide if we need to take such measures as continuing to avoid restaurants, whether kids go back to school etc and whether we need to wear face masks at all.

Washing hands remains key, not just to kill SARS-CoV-2, but to limit the spread of any illness, from the regular cold, to Influenza to bacteria borne sicknesses.

Personal hygiene is absolutely key at the 'herd level' and I think this is far more effective in the long run than wearing a face-mask.

That said, I don't see any harm in wearing face masks in tightly compact busy areas such as the BTS or on a bus, in a restaurant wearing a face mask seems like overkill.

In Thailand the number of road deaths seems really down, esp during Songkran. It would be interesting to see the difference between 2019 an 2020 (March to May). Also the incidence of other respiratory infections.

Another comparison should business revenues during the same period.  

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hand washing is important but it's useless to prevent infection from breathing droplets which is the main risk in restaurants. 

It's specifically about localities where it is MANDATORY to wear a mask to enter restaurants. When that is the case and it is the case in much of Thailand now then you need to somehow properly deal with your mask before eating. 

If you are a germaphobe you shouldn't go to restaurants. If your not it's OK to go. Close your mouth chewing and don't talk with food in your mouth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

My prediction - vaccine 2nd half of next year....with looming distribution question of who gets it first....

anyone who wears a pool noodle while dining should be exempt from getting the vaccine....

Someone else can have my vaccine. I'm not having anything injected into me that hasn't been injected into a few million others first. More chance of getting bad side effects from a rushed vaccine than dying from Corona.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Which can be answered with the most basic levels of common sense.

Before eating, take the mask off and put it in a disposable bag, then into your pocket. Use Gel on your hands before eating. Put on a fresh mask once you've finished eating.

Further discussions are a natural progressions on a forum designed for just that, further discussion. Perhaps the ridiculous disconnect is because of the somewhat ridiculous topic.

I'm waiting for the topic asking how to wipe down your 10baht coin before giving it to the Songthaew driver !

Social isolation recommendations (world wide) involve keeping 2m away from everyone. If a restaurant is set up for social isolation then a diner will not be closer than 2m to someone from a different household and the mask is somewhat superfluous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaisabai said:

I think Thai people will never understand that a mask is more or less useless, except when a person has the virus avoiding to pass it on.

See how masks are treated by most people. they are put on and off countless times, thereby touching the mask all the time with dirty hands. 

as for wearing the mask in a restaurant; I am a smoker, am I expected to change my mask after every puff?

I like thaibeachlover's comment "That's because there is no practical information. Do whatever you like as you won't be either right or wrong"

As far as I am concerned, I attach my mask to my shirt (through a button hole) and that is where it is hanging most of the time. I only wear it in supermarkets and walking in the street (again, kind of stupid because walking the street these days, you see hardly anyone around, just wearing it not to offend anyone).

Like JVS's comments: "I only wear a mask because i have to, I only have one and that is the one I have used

ever since it was required"

My biggest worry is that this mask "circus" will carry on once this is all over (will it ever be over?)

in the meantime, just going with the flow!

thaisabai

Since the start I've carried an old dust mask in my pocket just in case, but never had to wear it.

I get that some people are really scared and think a mask will save them, so good luck to them, but they really should be wearing goggles as well, as a mask without googles is like using a condom with the tip cut off. Might make one feel better, but not much use in a practical sense.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Daughter constantly berates me about my smoking. Her mask advice is sound, she gives mask advice to other nurses. Here she is demonstrating the mask she advises others to wear, a mask not available to NHS nurses, she had to buy her own.

1874918168_WhatsAppImage2020-04-06at13_12_29.thumb.jpeg.54bc3e70779edccbc7e6fa498d07ffb0.jpeg

I appreciate that she's demonstrating, but I hope when she's actually in with infectious patients she's wearing some sort of eye protection and a gown with long sleeves.

Apparently it's now OK to use the same mask with multiple patients, so how does she avoid transmitting the disease from one patient to another on her non disposable mask?

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I appreciate that she's demonstrating, but I hope when she's actually in with infectious patients she's wearing some sort of eye protection and a gown with long sleeves.

Apparently it's now OK to use the same mask with multiple patients, so how does she avoid transmitting the disease from one patient to another on her non disposable mask?

The photo was taken before the Covid-19 outbreak. Note the Christmas tree. She had researched various face masks and was demonstrating which masks were for which applications. Apparently this is the one she now recommends when dealing with Covid-19 patients.

4 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The photo was taken before the Covid-19 outbreak. Note the Christmas tree. She had researched various face masks and was demonstrating which masks were for which applications. Apparently this is the one she now recommends when dealing with Covid-19 patients.

Thanks, but I'd really like to know how she avoids transmitting the disease on a non disposable mask. I guess it's not a mask though, more a respirator mask. Does she use a full face shield that can be cleaned between patients? That's what I'd use if they didn't provide proper gear.

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Social isolation recommendations (world wide) involve keeping 2m away from everyone. If a restaurant is set up for social isolation then a diner will not be closer than 2m to someone from a different household and the mask is somewhat superfluous.

If one thing is a pack of bunkum it's that 2 meter thing which was dreamed up by politicians. I have yet to see a 2 meter distance being kept in any shop or supermarket. People do tend to outside though, before going in and walking by others at 10cm distance. In many establishments it just isn't possible to keep that far apart.

• Thanks 1

I just lower the mask to the chin before starting to eat or drink, and move it back up once done.

The primary function of an ordinary mask is to prevent spreading the virus if you are unknowingly infected, by stopping droplets when you breathe out, speak, cough or sneeze. I'm not under any illusion that the mask I wear will protect myself - that's what other people's masks are for!

There's no point in overthinking it. If you're worried, simply don't eat out. No matter how you handle your own mask, eating out is one of the more dangerous activities because you put things in your mouth that you have little control over.

• Thanks 1

The risk in restaurants is not eating. 

It is breathing. 

Also people are talking and sometimes loudly even shouting causing more spray. 

Even with the distancing the ventilation may be bad. 

Eating outside is generally a lower risk. 

Of course touching your face is also a risk. 

But eating. No. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Someone else can have my vaccine. I'm not having anything injected into me that hasn't been injected into a few million others first. More chance of getting bad side effects from a rushed vaccine than dying from Corona.

Mine too, and my ventilator queue place too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1