Wearing a mask on motorbike makes sense?

Mak25

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My glasses mist over if I wear one. A mask is not compulsory in our province anyway, so I'm not worried about it. Put it on when I go into a shop, toss it back under the seat when I'm done.

"A mask is not compulsory in our province anyway," How do you know that? Maybe because one IO told you? Another IO might say it is. Anyone really know which provinces say a mask is compulsory and which isn't?  

Doesn't seem to make medical sense since any virus will disperse once you are underway. And you probably have enough distance between yourself and other riders, except maybe at traffic lights in larger cities. But the social issue of making the police and the public comfortable is something different.

i seen this a few times yesterday
it made me laugh

people riding bike with mask and those plastic visor masks
and still NO HELMETS..........????‍♂️

Thailand road deaths = 80 per day
C19 ~50 in 5 months

yeh, don't worry about the clear and obvious danger of cracking your skull open,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

I see bikers stopped at lights within half a meter of each other, so wearing masks makes sense at the moment.

Not if you are wearing a full face helmet and keep it shut.

18 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I've managed to come off, fall , crash whatever, 3 times on my little scooter, twice in the village and once on my driveway when it was slopy and gravelly. Wasn't wearing either a mask or helmet once.

Have only come off my big bike once when I was pisssed and went into the back of another car. Damaged the helmet.

I hope you are proud of yourself and any occupants in the car you hit were not hurt through your selfishness.

• Thanks 1

The only reason why I wear a mask here is to provide the local Thais with some peace of mind. It offers me very little protection, unless it is an N95 or N99 mask. These cloth masks may help a little bit, in terms of preventing someone who is infected, from spreading it. But, it does next to nothing to prevent anyone from catching it. I notice less and less people wearing masks now, and that is fine, since Covid is gone, baby gone from Thailand. 

34 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"A mask is not compulsory in our province anyway," How do you know that? Maybe because one IO told you? Another IO might say it is. Anyone really know which provinces say a mask is compulsory and which isn't?  

Masks are still required in the city, but not in the villages and countryside. That came from our Phu Yai Ban, who doesn't wear one herself anymore.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The only reason why I wear a mask here is to provide the local Thais with some peace of mind. It offers me very little protection, unless it is an N95 or N99 mask. These cloth masks may help a little bit, in terms of preventing someone who is infected, from spreading it. But, it does next to nothing to prevent anyone from catching it. I notice less and less people wearing masks now, and that is fine, since Covid is gone, baby gone from Thailand. 

Weird thinking, if a mask assists in 'preventing someone who is infected from spreading it' then that very action is restricting another from 'catching it' and thus the chain is broken, the more 'chains' that do not exist the less risk of people catching it. Therefore mask wearing does indeed prevent people from 'catching it' The occasion the mask is not as useful is if infected people refuse to wear one, exposing even the surrounding mask wearers to unnecessary risk!!

16 hours ago, Silent Number said:

Speak for yourself. Although mine is in pristine condition still in its original package,hardly used.

Recommend to have scan. 

The brain tends to get fungi or molds if it gets hardly being used. 

It might be the reason why you look as you presented yourself.

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Weird thinking, if a mask assists in 'preventing someone who is infected from spreading it' then that very action is restricting another from 'catching it' and thus the chain is broken, the more 'chains' that do not exist the less risk of people catching it. Therefore mask wearing does indeed prevent people from 'catching it' The occasion the mask is not as useful is if infected people refuse to wear one, exposing even the surrounding mask wearers to unnecessary risk!!

My thinking is logical. I know for a fact that I am not infected. So, there is no risk of me spreading it. So, how does my not wearing one endanger anyone? I have not been traveling, I have been mostly staying at home, and I have never had any symptoms of the disease that only incubates for 5-14 days. Where is the reasoning? Where is the good sense? There is far too much paranoia and scare mongering going around. It is not productive, nor is it healthy. I already said the mask assists in helping prevent the spread, IF ONE is infected. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

My thinking is logical. I know for a fact that I am not infected. So, there is no risk of me spreading it. So, how does my not wearing one endanger anyone? I have not been traveling, I have been mostly staying at home, and I have never had any symptoms of the disease that only incubates for 5-14 days. Where is the reasoning? Where is the good sense? There is far too much paranoia and scare mongering going around. It is not productive, nor is it healthy. I already said the mask assists in helping prevent the spread, IF ONE is infected. 

Oh boy so people are now self diagnosing, don't need tests then, everybody 'who knows for a fact' they are not infected has no worries about spreading the virus and no need for mask

Right

And people are complaining they won't allow a mass influx of foreigners into Thailand!!!

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Masks are still required in the city, but not in the villages and countryside. That came from our Phu Yai Ban, who doesn't wear one herself anymore.

I do live in a village in the countryside, and I do not wear a mask when I am exercising riding my cycle, a policeman has already told my wife to tell me to wear a mask even when riding my cycle or be fined 20.000 Bt, I still don't wear a mask when riding my bike, and the stupid policeman will get no money from me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My glasses mist over if I wear one. A mask is not compulsory in our province anyway, so I'm not worried about it. Put it on when I go into a shop, toss it back under the seat when I'm done.

I used to have that fogging misty glasses problem also.

You have to get the ones that have the silicon and wire seal that molds the mask to your nose and cheek gaps. Then your exhaled moist breath won’t fog up your glasses.

I don’t get misty fogged glasses anymore.

It also helps if your masks have a one way exhalation valve.

Edited by Catoni
Correction
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I've tried it with my full face helmet and it isn't practical.

If u are super worried about the police, stick one on under your chin, then you can just blame the helmet for why it isn't covering your nose and mouth.

I use when riding in Bangkok when the P2.5 levels were high. Can buy in bike shops or various sites like Banggood. Even seen cheap ones in Tesco or Big C.

648904000011340842_zc_v49_ezgif_5_509c6e53325a_900x.jpg

61bbvAc3pJL._AC_SX522_.jpg

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Oh boy so people are now self diagnosing, don't need tests then, everybody 'who knows for a fact' they are not infected has no worries about spreading the virus and no need for mask

Right

And people are complaining they won't allow a mass influx of foreigners into Thailand!!!

I don't know where @spidermike007 lives, but if his situation is anything like mine, I can understand his confidence. I'm living in a village some 70 kms from the nearest confirmed C19 case, in a province that has not had a case for 6 weeks or more.

All the returnees to the village who went into self isolation have long since been cleared by the health authorities. So I too am very confident that I have not had, or been exposed to this virus.

It's not a matter of 'self diagnosis', it's just good old common sense. So I too have forsaken the mask except when I go into town, which isn't very often.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I do live in a village in the countryside, and I do not wear a mask when I am exercising riding my cycle, a policeman has already told my wife to tell me to wear a mask even when riding my cycle or be fined 20.000 Bt, I still don't wear a mask when riding my bike, and the stupid policeman will get no money from me.

He'd doubtless save more lives if he concentrated on chasing down motorcyclists without helmets. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:09 AM, innosiem said:

Thailand road deaths = 80 per day

yup, saw yet another one yesterday evening.
pickup truck without lights,
motorbike rider dead on his face, no helmet in sight