Thailand tourism to contract by 1.69 trillion baht this year – Kasikorn Research

webfact

Thailand tourism to contract by 1.69 trillion baht this year – Kasikorn Research

000_1R565Y.jpg

Passengers attempt to observe social distancing as a preventive measure against the spread of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus as they ride in a BTS commuter train during rush hour in Bangkok on May 8, 2020. (Photo by Mladen ANTONOV / AFP)

The Thai tourism sector is forecast to suffer a revenue reduction, estimated at 1.69 trillion baht this year, due to the COVID-10 pandemic and the weak purchasing power of tourists, according to the Kasikorn Research Centre.

It also said that, although the Thai tourism sector may begin to recover next year, it still has a long way to go to return to the pre-coronavirus level, as several lockdown measures will remain for public safety, such as strict screening of in-bound and out-bound travelers and social distancing.

Tourism operators, said the research centre, must adjust their service format and focus on safety in hotels, at tourist destinations and when travelling, online check-ins, temperature screenings and avoidance of contact with others.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-tourism-to-contract-by-1-69-trillion-baht-this-year-kasikorn-research/

thaipbs.jpg

27 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The 1.69 trillion THB is an estimated loss, not profit. Approximately USD 53 billion.

Working the number back it looks as though USD 53 bill. is about 10% of Thai GDP USD 505 bill.). Tourism is valued at about USD 75 bill. so a loss of two thirds of tourist revenue is forecast. TAT on the other hand forecasts 16 million visitors this year so again, a loss of roughly one third (40 mill.).

It kinda looks as though Kasikorn Research simply extrapolated TAT's figures so I'm not sure it's meanigful.

22 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Working the number back it looks as though USD 53 bill. is about 10% of Thai GDP USD 505 bill.). Tourism is valued at about USD 75 bill. so a loss of two thirds of tourist revenue is forecast. TAT on the other hand forecasts 16 million visitors this year so again, a loss of roughly one third (40 mill.).

It kinda looks as though Kasikorn Research simply extrapolated TAT's figures so I'm not sure it's meanigful.

Using your figures, assuming tourism was only normal for the first 2 months of this year, and assuming there won't be tourists to count until next year, the loss they are predicting could be optimistic.

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Using your figures, assuming tourism was only normal for the first 2 months of this year, and assuming there won't be tourists to count until next year, the loss they are predicting could be optimistic.

I think it would be a mistake to think there will be no tourists this year, it's almost certain there will be and we may all be surprised at just how many.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

So nice they can work it out in monetary terms.. rather than tourist numbers.

Cash cows won't be coming this year... 

32 minutes ago, Trillian said:

I think it would be a mistake to think there will be no tourists this year, it's almost certain there will be and we may all be surprised at just how many.

Bankers lie, always, every time they open their mouth. You can bet these numbers are far conservative and the reality will be much worse. Anyone believing tourism is going to recover deserves the consequences.

• Thanks 1

The problem is pandemic, epidemic and systemic. 

Covid19 is one shocking aspect.

The whole tourist / long term stay contribution to the economy is rife with problems and corruption. 

A good time to look at the whole package. 

3 hours ago, ozz1 said:

How the hell are they going to get near that figure with whats going on there dreaming  no flights baht being persistently high no borders open yet they must know something no one else knows about or they have consulted that tat fortune teller

They have consulted the "Chinese Embassy Fortune Teller"......????????????????????????????????

3 hours ago, ozz1 said:

How the hell are they going to get near that figure with whats going on there dreaming  no flights baht being persistently high no borders open yet they must know something no one else knows about or they have consulted that tat fortune teller

What do you expect them to declare? Tourism is screwed? No one will come til next year or two? Your prospect is near zero? Go figure how to live with the gloom? They get the same flak either way. It's a fine line between hope and misguided optimism. But you think open pessimism will help at all?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The 1.69 trillion THB is an estimated loss, not profit. Approximately USD 53 billion.

Finally it took some bank executives to paint the real picture as TAT officials continue to talk the recovery up.

Thought rhat mean.t they would be down that amount not up???,,

2 hours ago, dsj said:

Also if tourists needs a medical certificate, that will also keep the numbers down, as I believe you can't get a certificate right now.

either you can't get or - even more likely - nobody bothers anymore to come to "locked Thailand"

does everybody on BTS has to use that scan app ? social distancing, etc...

what a joke

herd immunity is when 70-80 percent of the people went true this joke virus , got no symptom or as good as nothing (most cases) and then people can stop being afraid

putting everybody in this panic mode kills more people with stress than the actual virus

6 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

does everybody on BTS has to use that scan app ? social distancing, etc...

what a joke

herd immunity is when 70-80 percent of the people went true this joke virus , got no symptom or as good as nothing (most cases) and then people can stop being afraid

putting everybody in this panic mode kills more people with stress than the actual virus

It would be interesting to compare the number of covid-19 deaths reported with an estimate of how many of the same could have succumb to a bad case of the seasonal flu. I'm sure there would be quite a large overlap. Isolating the elderly population only would have been easy compared to destroying the whole economy.

Anyway, it's too late now. I wonder how excited the Thai population will be to see millions of Chinese tourists back in again? It's ironic that TAT were still talking about boosting the quality of tourists, as late as March. Now they will be happy to take whatever they can get.

Edited by JensenZ

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

I think it's a mistake to expect them... we will see. Just one example - Australia. They have banned international travel until the end of October.

And China has done the same yesterday:

no international flights before at least October...

Edited by Brunolem

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Mummy, "let's go to the beach, can I take my rubber ring"....."no son, but don't forget your mask and sanitiser"

Like anyone wants to travel

I do.

I have a partner and adopted family waiting for the relaxing of restrictions so we can get back together. 

• Like 1