8 policemen dismissed after allegedly demanding Bt40,000 from woman

webfact

14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Have you any personal experience regarding school directors?

Or are just just posting based on hear say.

My wife is a school director, never paid 1 baht to anyone for her position.

As members who have been on here several years will know, we moved from Issan to a mountain village 39 ks into the mountains from Mae Hong Son, rather than pay money.

No Col and none needed, its a chance to compete to show their contempt for Thailand and anything goes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"a lieutenant-colonel, a captain, three lieutenants, a sub-lieutenant and two senior sergeants major – to be dismissed"

Shocking how far through the ranks this corruption has been allowed to spread.

The saddest part is it is probably not an isolated incident either and more should/could be done to root this out.

People should respect the Police and feel comfortable seeking help from them, not be in fear of extortion or worse from those that are supposed to help and "protect" us.

There is an old saying, that the fish rots from the head. Corruption is not something that just resides in the lower levels of a bureaucracy. Besides, the lower level officers have to "kick up" money to their superiors so as to be left alone.

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

Heavens above.... What ever next policemen demanding money.... Shocking absolutely shocking.:cheesy:

If they sacked every policeman here who demanded money, there would be nobody left to police the country.

Never see them out other than at road junctions on mass but thats another earner

Heavens above.... What ever next policemen demanding money.... Shocking absolutely shocking.:cheesy:

If they sacked every policeman here who demanded money, there would be nobody left to police the country.

Ah, the best police force money can by eh Colin.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

A sub-lieutenant...

from "Sub City"...

sub-sobbing now.

????????????

I guess not, see how they just move them around, the only downside for them is setting up new connections, weverte fresh victims are nice for them...

And when was the last time we heard about police getting prosecuted, and sentenced to time in prison. Does it ever happen here? It does appear that police are above the law. Any and all laws. They know that. They know they have virtual immunity from the administration, which does everything in it's power to protect it's own, the cops, the army, the super wealthy, and the entire apparatus. So, do not even attempt to fool us. We are not buying low cost bridges today. 

• Like 2

In Vietnam these police would be facing long prison sentences or execution. They don't joke around with this type corruption. 

I once had a situation where three police officers helped me out of a jam. I offered them some money to buy lunch (totally my idea not suggested whatsoever) and they pulled back refusing to even touch the money I offered. Not saying all the police there are great, but they do enforce corruption rules harshly to discourage at least some bad behavior. 

In Thailand, corruption is endemic because it starts at the very top and everyone feels it must be ok so they want a piece of it as well.

Sadly, the police can do anything they wish here, including the immigration police, and when they are on the rampage it will be late on a friday evening so that the victim cannot get in touch with any lawyer, giving the police 3 nights in jail with which to intimidate the victim. One does not need to have committed any crime ! The police came up to me while I was sitting OUTSIDE a bar on the sidewalk, and said "You own a property, therefore you are working. Get in the truck" ! I was then taken to Soi 5 in Jomtien and told that if I did not give them 50,000 Bht I was going to jail ! I was also made to sign a form which I could not read, and there may be many here who might think why would any sensible person do this ? Believe me, when a cop in uniform tells you if you do not sign a form you will be put in jail, you will sign. The police here are nothing short of thugs in uniforms ????

There would be less crime  then!!! 5555????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

It is a shame to see police men and higher ranking authorities thinking they are above the law. The Justice system has become a racketeer, which has became a US issue by the people.  The people of Thailand are to uneducated to know the different to stand up. In this case, videoing the incident still will not be enough since all of them work for someone higher. This is how the Justice system works in Thailand. 

Corruption in the police in Thailand? Who ever heard of such a thing? Will anything be done to the wrong goers? I seriously doubt it. It would be interesting to see what their fate in 6 months from now. Anyone want to wager that they will all be working?

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

First time I've ever heard it suggested that a policeman might be dismissed.  Usually they are reassigned to a new district where they resume business as usual.

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"a lieutenant-colonel, a captain, three lieutenants, a sub-lieutenant and two senior sergeants major – to be dismissed"

Shocking how far through the ranks this corruption has been allowed to spread.

The saddest part is it is probably not an isolated incident either and more should/could be done to root this out.

People should respect the Police and feel comfortable seeking help from them, not be in fear of extortion or worse from those that are supposed to help and "protect" us.

I think they would sell out their grandmother for money, way of life here, never change.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

So they weren't dismissed then?

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Apparently, "dismissed" from their prior assignments... but not "dismissed" in the sense you or I or others might expect, meaning dismissed from their employment.

The latter only happens here in the rarest of instances, no matter how grievious the offense.

Dismissed = let go of the job, prosecuted = going to court and maybe get sentenced.

Edited by FritsSikkink

3 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its all a misunderstanding with the woman now praising the police for their co-operation during said unfortunate misunderstanding.  Smiling photos to follow.

So, when will the Thai police ban body cameras?  I suspect that the lady in question will be prosecuted and sent to jail.  The officers will be sent to another province.  

I do think that the video should be posted to social media so that these officers can be recognized for their work!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Dismissed = let go of the job, prosecuted = going to court and maybe get sentenced.

If they were actually "dismissed" from employment, then we wouldn't be reading in the OP article where it clearly says...

The policemen were transferred to Phetchaburi’s police operations centre and will be investigated for prosecution.

The RTP are grand at "investigating" themselves for all kind of misdeeds.... And then after saying that, that's the last anyone will ever hear of the matter, and those involved will most likely end up quietly reassigned to some new positions. That's the way it rolls here.

This is disturbingly not unusual.

The boys  must be hurting not having any bars open to extort.

Unfortunately it has been going on as long as I can remember.

This is the one Gov't Dept that Prayut has not been prepared to overhaul

• Like 1

I remember a similar thing in Australia, but the guy who said they would be sacked, forgot about the police union and a little law they had that says the officers are not guilty until proven by a court of law ho hum

• Like 2

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Would that make any difference Colin? :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1