Is it possible to renew a drivers license now?

yuri48494

In the last fortnight my Thai drivers license expired, and I would like to renew it.

The last I read was that there is basically some leeway due to quarantine that licenses don't need to be renewed.

Is this still the case? Or am I actually able to go and renew my license?

I already have the medical certificate done for it. Thanks a lot!

10 minutes ago, kishnanakishna said:

Is this still the case?

I haven't seen any news that the suspension has ended.

Also their website still shows in Thai and English: until state of emergency ends or further notice.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I haven't seen any news that the suspension has ended.

Also their website still shows in Thai and English: until state of emergency ends or further notice.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I just saw that notice on their website now.

Is it correct that I am still able to drive? It was a five-year license. 

11 minutes ago, kishnanakishna said:

you can until you can't.  All it takes is a corrupt cop and you can't. All it takes is the small print in your car insurance and  you can't. Best way to look at it is,  if you have an expired licence, then you are illegal, so best not have an accident. Mine finishes is 2 weeks.  

4 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

And the insurance companies? Have they pledged to cover all those with expired licenses?

I can only refer to the last news article.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387368?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

Jirut also added that the DLT would allow licences that had expired since January 2 to be temporarily valid during the period of the emergency decree and has accordingly notified Royal Thai Police Headquarters and Office of Insurance Commission to enforce related laws accordingly in case of police screening or insurance claims.

The news article refers to May 31 at a time when some expected the state of emergency to end then.

Now until at least June 30.

Edited by KhunBENQ

To avoid misunderstanding:

vehicle tax and compulsory insurance still have to be paid (at DLT or otherwise).

I assume that you can still extend complementary insurance (even if driving license has expired since Jan 2).

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 6/2/2020 at 7:59 PM, KhunBENQ said:

vehicle tax and compulsory insurance still have to be paid (at DLT or otherwise).

I assume that you can still extend complementary insurance (even if driving license has expired since Jan 2).

I can confirm that is the case, I renewed the vehicle tax and compulsory insurance on my motorbike last week at the local DLT office.

One is allowed 1 year (Yes, one year !) to renew one,s driving license in Thailand, so the office should be open well before ! However I would think that one would not be insured if it has expired datewise, as these insurance weasels will seize on any opportunity to not pay ????

On 6/2/2020 at 3:43 PM, Pilotman said:

you can until you can't.  All it takes is a corrupt cop and you can't. All it takes is the small print in your car insurance and  you can't. Best way to look at it is,  if you have an expired licence, then you are illegal, so best not have an accident. Mine finishes is 2 weeks.  

You seem a bit paranoid. The amnesty regarding expired licenses until further notice is official and everybody knows that,including the police. 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:59 PM, KhunBENQ said:

DLT yesterday road tax tag by insurance company we use across from DLT. Kumphawapi 

On 6/2/2020 at 3:28 PM, kishnanakishna said:

...the holder of a Thai Driver's Licence have always had up to one year past the expiry date to renew a 5 year licence without having to re-sit.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

You seem a bit paranoid. The amnesty regarding expired licenses until further notice is official and everybody knows that,including the police. 

but not apparently all of the insurance companies know it or accept it.  Not paranoid, just realistic. If they can avoid paying out, they will.  

Simple to do, still necessary under Law ... just make 400 copies of anything and everything, get up at the crack of dawn, grab a gafee Buran, down to the local DMT office and go see then happy waiing folks ???? 

12 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

One is allowed 1 year (Yes, one year !) to renew one,s driving license in Thailand,

True. BUT under normal conditions you are not allowed to drive with an expired licence.

The current exemption permits you to drive on your recently expired license.

• 3 months later...

HI

i read in this site

https://phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

now can not get driver license with turist visa, must hold a non immigrant visa and stay over 90 days

about review there is not specification about need about must hold non immigrant too or turist visa still to be ok

so, someone before this covid 19, did try to review his motorbike driver lincense with turist visa?  expecially in phuket?

i know, now it is coming a new visa  STV, but still to be a turist visa, 90+ 90+ 90 so i can suppose it not allowed for getting a new driver license ,and maybe also for review too?

thanks for your help