will there be a big rush to the borders

Hopefully common sense will prevail on 31st July and there won't be big exodus of expats going to savannahknet to renew there visas  but this is Thailand and maybe just maybe immigration will give us some grace here's hoping  that is if the Lao border is open for return runs without any quarantine  lets hope

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

Hopefully common sense will prevail on 31st July and there won't be big exodus of expats going to savannahknet to renew there visas 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why would anybody wait until July 31st if the borders are open. There is nothing to stop you from doing it before the 31st.

Is the Thai consulate at Savannakhet open and giving visas, and the borders are open for foreigners to come and go from Thailand-Laos-Thailand?

I thought they were closed. 

• Haha 1

It will really depend on how they will manage things. If the borders reopen well before the amnesty ends AND entering the neighboring countries from Thailand won't be too onerous, the exodus could be spread out over weeks. My personal guess is that they will FAIL at this, so I'm planning accordingly.

• Like 2

The guys that use(d) a multi-entry Non O from Sav or HCM to live here without 400k in the bank or showing 40k a month into their own Thai bank account from abroad might be in for a serious shock.

What will they do if their visa runs out, they come to an end of a 60 day extension based on family, cannot get another extension so need to leave, perhaps no more multi-entry visa from neighboring consulates, need Covid health insurance and health certificate from their home country to come and go?

It could be a right nightmare for them. 

Will every sort of border run require covid insurance and health certificates every time someone does one. A right PIA that would be. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:
20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Would they need 100k corona insurance and a health-cert to come back into Thailand after their visa run? 

YES

@ubonjoe has answered this already and stated it's speculation at this stage. So why try to push a barrow you have no idea of the contents? Just to create fear......some people don't scare easily; sorry about that.

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 2

The guys that use(d) a multi-entry Non O from Sav or HCM to live here without 400k in the bank or showing 40k a month into their own Thai bank account from abroad might be in for a serious shock.

What will they do if their visa runs out, they come to an end of a 60 day extension based on family, cannot get another extension so need to leave, perhaps no more multi-entry visa from neighboring consulates, need Covid health insurance and health certificate from their home country to come and go?

Will every sort of border run require covid insurance and health certificates every time someone does one. A right PIA that would be. 

Alot of offices issues 60 day extension as seasoning time for the 1 year extension. 

However according to rumours some offices don't do when on amnesty. However they are just rumours and i've haven't read about a single case online about this happening to them personally.  Only "I heard this" "I think this" . 

On the contrary you can read about loads of cases where people have done this. 

I'm myself is doing this soon. Got too riled up because of online speculations so i went to my office to ask and the boss didn't understand why i was so worried about it. 

Edited by Okis
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Is the Thai consulate at Savannakhet open and giving visas, and the borders are open for foreigners to come and go from Thailand-Laos-Thailand?

That is not what Joe is saying or meaning. He is meaning if the borders open sooner than July 31st, people wouldn't need to wait until exactly that date to sort out their visa affairs. They could go before.

You need to check daily the up to date with the border situation of whichever country you are planning to go to from Thailand.

• Like 2

It would be, but don't think those on extensions of stay will be somehow exempt from such scrutiny. They could whack on all sorts of PIA requirements such as testing negative for covid and having health insurance, too. We have no idea what will happen when the borders re-open, but I don't think the Thai authorities have any plans to make life difficult for us in the meantime. If they want to enact some kind of immigration reform that's their choice, but it won't be put into effect until after we're back to normal, whenever that is.

38 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

That is not what Joe is saying or meaning. He is meaning if the borders open sooner than July 31st, people wouldn't need to wait until exactly that date to sort out their visa affairs. They could go before.

You need to check daily the up to date with the border situation of whichever country you are planning to go to from Thailand.

True. What matters is the situation regarding entry/exit from Thailand AND the country of destination.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

The borders are closed! And when they open, you might not be able to go back into Thailand as easy as it was before. 

I thought the topic referred to all the farangs that can't wait to get out of Thailand, to move to a new location. I know I can't wait til they officially open the airport, to leave permanently! I have had enough of the Thai way, being treated like a second rate person and that was before the china/xi virus!!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

I thought the topic referred to all the farangs that can't wait to get out of Thailand, to move to a new location. I know I can't wait til they officially open the airport, to leave permanently! I have had enough of the Thai way, being treated like a second rate person and that was before the china/xi virus!!

You sing worse than me then..........????

Agree with Ubonjoe. Speculation is pointless at best, alarmist at worst. We will know when it is announced that borders on both sides are to reopen and what is required to go out and come back. It's uncomfortable not knowing but that's how it is, everywhere.

• Like 2