will there be a big rush to the borders

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Quite frankly ............

I'm not that bothered, I'll just live in Cambodia and walk away from my Thai family (and mortgage).

I've had enough of Thailand and am just looking for an excuse where I'm not the 'bad man'.

"Sorry darling, I love you but your country won't let me in"

Sort of thing.

Cambodia isn't a good choice. Maybe try Vietnam. Still, I don't get your point. What makes you think Cambodia and Vietnam would allow you in but not Thailand?

Just now, BritManToo said:

VISA is very easy.

Once you're in, you can stay, no immigration difficulties each year if you have $300 and a passport, nothing else is required.

Only if you're old. For everyone else, you only get 6 months now. There is also a new reporting system similar to TM30. Might not sound that bad, but don't make the mistake of thinking Cambodia won't change. It will.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Only if you're old. For everyone else, you only get 6 months now. There is also a new reporting system similar to TM30. Might not sound that bad, but don't make the mistake of thinking Cambodia won't change. It will.

I only need another 5 years (or less).

If I had longer I'd probably move to Central France.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I only need another 5 years (or less).

If I had longer I'd probably move to Central France.

You won't get "your" 50baht doctors appointment and 1 baht tablet there...???? 

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There is also a new reporting system similar to TM30.

Quite right but not as intrusive as TM30 and you do not have to notify Immigration when travelling inter-provincially. It is FPCS and quote:-

The General Department of Immigration (GDI) has just launched a new online registration system for foreigners living in Cambodia, stating that those that fail to register on the new system by the 1st July 2020, will be unable to extend their visa. The “FPCS” applies to all foreign nationals, including tourists. According to a statement released by the GDI, “FPCS (Foreigners Present in Cambodia System) app is to manage foreigner’s information regarding their stay in Cambodia.

It intends to record foreigner information when they arrive in Cambodia at any entry point. It will also record their data when they leave Cambodia. The main purpose of FPCS is to protect foreigner safety and security in case of an emergency when they are travelling throughout Cambodia.” 

This FCPS applies to all expats and tourists alike, making this change most relevant to the tourism industry property management industries. It’s especially true given that the other most important point to note is that it’s the landlord who is responsible for registering foreigners into the app. 

If you are a tourist, then the hotel/guesthouse/hostel is responsible. My landlord has already registered me in the FPCS app on his smart phone (I only have a 3G mobile) and I have verified this with GDI in the Provincial Police HQ opposite Siem Reap airport.. That is it until I decide to move, change passport/phone number/e-mail address/extend visa.

• Like 2

Wondering if anyone on here is facing a situation where their passport will become unusable in the near future because of the requirement to have six months longevity and an inability to obtain a new one locally? 

19 minutes ago, Yme said:

Wondering if anyone on here is facing a situation where their passport will become unusable in the near future because of the requirement to have six months longevity and an inability to obtain a new one locally? 

That is only needed to get a single entry tourist or non immigrant visa.

For those from most countries only a passport for the length of say is needed to enter to Thailand. For those traveling to nearby countries it is needed.

It is not needed to apply for an extension at immigration. The extension will only be issued to day the passport expires though.

What country are you referring to?

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, a good choice. I moved here to Siem Reap 4 months ago after almost 20 years in LOS. Absolutely correct in what you say but may I add some observations about a visa. For a retirement visa you must be over 50. Along with your passport and $300 you must provide proof of residence in Cambodia (eg. tenancy agreement), a Cambodian phone number and your e-mail address- THAT'S ALL. Life here in Siem Reap as normal and very enjoyable (without the thousands of tourists for Angkor Wat).

How hard to get a visa for a Thai wife (under 50)?  Can she be your "dependent"?

6 hours ago, Eibot said:

Someone tell this lad that there never was a stop to leave Thailand...

no never a stop but bordering nations are closed

where are you going to fly to?

home?

coz there really only is 3 countries open UK/USA/Mexico

and just shows with the infection figures
idiots

On 6/4/2020 at 12:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

hy would anybody wait until July 31st if the borders are open. There is nothing to stop you from doing it before the 31st.

that is just speculation at this time, no one knows when the borders will open and to whom.
You cannot call BKK a border 
Please Joe you should know better

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, andy72 said:

that is just speculation at this time, no one knows when the borders will open and to whom.

I was replying to a post stating there would be be a big rush to the borders on July 31st. No comment at all about them being open or not.

3 hours ago, andy72 said:

no never a stop but bordering nations are closed

where are you going to fly to?

home?

Flights going to everywhere in Europe and were never stopped. Middle East, africa, Australia etc. Thailand is more than happy to see people leave.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

How hard to get a visa for a Thai wife (under 50)?  Can she be your "dependent"?

Very sorry i am single and I have no idea but I am sure she will be able to get a visa without any problems as the official visa agencies you deal with will offer the best advice - they are very helpful.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Very sorry i am single and I have no idea but I am sure she will be able to get a visa without any problems as the official visa agencies you deal with will offer the best advice - they are very helpful.  

Yes - when I was living in Cambodia some years ago, an agent to handle a 1-year ME Visa cost just $20.  I hope we don't have to leave Thailand, but good to know if Immigration won't let me stay (to spite meeting all "published" requirements), we at least have other options to stay together.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - when I was living in Cambodia some years ago, an agent to handle a 1-year ME Visa cost just $20.  I hope we don't have to leave Thailand, but good to know if Immigration won't let me stay (to spite meeting all "published" requirements), we at least have other options to stay together.

Good luck to you, Sir.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 12:12 PM, MyTHaiMyKe said:

I thought the topic referred to all the farangs that can't wait to get out of Thailand, to move to a new location. I know I can't wait til they officially open the airport, to leave permanently! I have had enough of the Thai way, being treated like a second rate person and that was before the china/xi virus!!

Then Why Didn't YOU Leave Before it came then ??

On 6/5/2020 at 12:12 PM, MyTHaiMyKe said:

I thought the topic referred to all the farangs that can't wait to get out of Thailand, to move to a new location. I know I can't wait til they officially open the airport, to leave permanently! I have had enough of the Thai way, being treated like a second rate person and that was before the china/xi virus!!

You can leave anytime you want providing the country you wish to go to has their border open. However, if you wish to return to your country of nationality, it's fairly straightforward on repatriation flights such as Europe, UK, USA.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Not many Thais are prepared to swap Thailand for a life in Cambodia without family and friends and their favorite foods.

• Like 1

Personally, im far more interested in when the laos and other surrounding consulates reopen, what their requirements will be if changed (and somehow I cannot see it going back to business as usual), and whether or not there will be a government enforced quarrantine upon return.

Very little joy in doing a visa run if there is nowhere to run and you cant come back and resume life unhindered.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 1:44 PM, JeffersLos said:

The guys that use(d) a multi-entry Non O from Sav or HCM to live here without 400k in the bank or showing 40k a month into their own Thai bank account from abroad might be in for a serious shock.

What will they do if their visa runs out, they come to an end of a 60 day extension based on family, cannot get another extension so need to leave, perhaps no more multi-entry visa from neighboring consulates, need Covid health insurance and health certificate from their home country to come and go?

It could be a right nightmare for them. 

Will every sort of border run require covid insurance and health certificates every time someone does one. A right PIA that would be. 

A very valid scenario.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Not many Thais are prepared to swap Thailand for a life in Cambodia without family and friends and their favorite foods.

The food-ingredients are in the markets, and plenty of Thai restaurants.  Many already live away from their families to work.  The key is being close enough they can go home to visit. 

Granted, it's not ideal, but as long as Immigration offices continue to be allowed to break the official rules, to deny extensions to those of us who qualify, this may become the only option to avoid breaking up our families. 

Remember, it is not just about "having the 40K/mo" or not - though sad if someone with a more than adequate 30K/mo pension is denied.  I had well over 40K/mo every time I applied - proven with foreign transfers on the first attempts, and with tax-payments + work-permit + bank-letter proof on my last attempt.  The REAL problem are the "unpublished" rules, which offices use to deny Valid applications. 

The corruption is what forces most most Multi-Entry Non-O Visa use, and is why immigration hate those visas - because they cut into their "undocumented" envelope revenue.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 1:44 PM, JeffersLos said:

The guys that use(d) a multi-entry Non O from Sav or HCM to live here without 400k in the bank or showing 40k a month into their own Thai bank account from abroad might be in for a serious shock.

What will they do if their visa runs out, they come to an end of a 60 day extension based on family, cannot get another extension so need to leave, perhaps no more multi-entry visa from neighboring consulates, need Covid health insurance and health certificate from their home country to come and go?

It could be a right nightmare for them. 

Will every sort of border run require covid insurance and health certificates every time someone does one. A right PIA that would be. 

I imagine a lot of them are like myself.  Fed up with local immigration office bureaucracy,  cr@p exchange rates, hoping for the baht to decrease in value, reluctant to stick 400,000 in the Thai bank account, prefer to do the multi non-O.  When the push comes to a shove, many will reluctantly comply with the annual extension circus.  Sorry to burst your bubble ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The food-ingredients are in the markets, and plenty of Thai restaurants.  Many already live away from their families to work.  The key is being close enough they can go home to visit. 

Granted, it's not ideal, but as long as Immigration offices continue to be allowed to break the official rules, to deny extensions to those of us who qualify, this may become the only option to avoid breaking up our families. 

Remember, it is not just about "having the 40K/mo" or not - though sad if someone with a more than adequate 30K/mo pension is denied.  I had well over 40K/mo every time I applied - proven with foreign transfers on the first attempts, and with tax-payments + work-permit + bank-letter proof on my last attempt.  The REAL problem are the "unpublished" rules, which offices use to deny Valid applications. 

The corruption is what forces most most Multi-Entry Non-O Visa use, and is why immigration hate those visas - because they cut into their "undocumented" envelope revenue.

What part of the country are you in?....... I am up in Isaarn and they tend to be fairly laid back up here, where I am at least.

I once floated the idea of moving to Cambodia with my other half and I was met with such resistance I never mentioned it again. I think mentioning Cambodia is a lot less appealing to them than Europe or the United States or Australia. They class it as a step down, mine did for sure. However, she did enjoy Vietnam a lot more and wants to go again.

I have been with my other half 24 years, I also have quite a reasonable understanding of where many of them are coming from thinking wise.

Yes, I know the Thai restaurants and the owners in Siem Reap. I am down there a lot.

I also knew a Belgian guy and his Thai wife operating a successful restaurant by the river called Crocodile Bistro. It seemed busy, and was busy and successful, but they still left.

I just use the 800K method annually. In fact I will renew in a few weeks.

Edited by Scouse123

13 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

What part of the country are you in?....... I am up in Isaarn and they tend to be fairly laid back up here, where I am at least.

The Issan immigration office where I attempted to apply was the ONLY one where they were polite to my wife.  But, a "district approval" is needed for Thai-Family based extensions, and they said my proven income (embassy-letter plus international bank-transfer history) would not work, unless I could provide proof the income was from a "state pension." 

My last failed attempt at a Non-O extension was at Chiang Wattana - with work-permit and proven income.  Before that, BOI, who would not do it, because I am on a Non-O visa-entry (vs Non-B), though it is 100% legal to work on a Non-O supporting Thai family.

I once floated the idea of moving to Cambodia with my other half and I was met with such resistance I never mentioned it again. I think mentioning Cambodia is a lot less appealing to them than Europe or the United States or Australia. They class it as a step down, mine did for sure. However, she did enjoy Vietnam a lot more and wants to go again.

I am also considering Vietnam, and do think the food/culture would be more compatible.  But not sure about the visa-rules - no way my wife would put up with constant visa-running. 

I have been with my other half 24 years, I also have quite a reasonable understanding of where many of them are coming from thinking wise.

Yes, I know the Thai restaurants and the owners in Siem Reap. I am down there a lot.

I also knew a Belgian guy and his Thai wife operating a successful restaurant by the river called Crocodile Bistro. It seemed busy, and was busy and successful, but they still left.

Siem Reap might work, because it is less run-down / poor than much of Cambodia.  I just hope the borders / consulate options return to what they were in time, so I can avoid this.  If I just have to work for my Thai company as a digital-nomad in Cambodia for 3 mo or so, will just do that, and return.  

The company would like to use BOI (easier for them) - but that requires a now-impossible a Non-B Visa-Run to start, and leaves my permitted-stay at the mercy of work, unlike a family-based extension.

I just use the 800K method annually. In fact I will renew in a few weeks.

If you can afford to risk that sum in a foreign-bank, in a country where you have no rights, this is definitely the best option.  I have some savings, but not enough to put a lump-sum at risk in Thailand.  I have to keep my liquid funds where I have FDIC (USA) funds-protection.   I am not a financial-expert, and therefore cannot predict what might happen here if things went sideways.