Work Permit self employed

9 hours ago, spoon1967 said:

Thanks for the info mate, this could be the best option for me for sure.

I'll visit a visa agency on my next trip and look into your suggestion.

Agency/Lawyer services are more expensive for family than retired - 25K to 35K per/yr, depending on how think the envelope has to be at the local immigration office. 

But some immigration offices are better than others for these - and if using the 400K "in the bank" option - versus using "income" - many more offices will issue the extenion without adding (as many) "undocumented requirements."   Chiang Wattana Bangkok is reported as do-able in-person fairly straightforward if NOT using the income method. 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:07 PM, spoon1967 said:

I have been coming to Thailand 4 times a year for 12 years, was married there and have a Thai son.  Covid-19? I must of missed that.   Of course I'm well aware of the current situation, and yes I do plan to live permanently in Thailand and have a business, and I don't "smoke" anything.  

Maybe you should start. I've heard it eases the pain. : )

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forresttrump said:

I have read on TV that recently of a sad incident of a Ukrainian male whose wife was killed and that he had lived in Thailand as a freelance photographer for 5 years.  Is this possible as would be perfect for me.

Probably not, I was also surprised to read it, but the article didn't mention any details about his business.

14 hours ago, Forresttrump said:

Sorry, don’t want to hijack the original post but looking for similar info.  I am stuck in the UK after returning from Thailand for my niece wedding.  The wedding was cancelled and my flight also, my reason for posting is that before going to Thailand I need 2016 I was a self employed photographer, a forbidden occupation in Thailand I believe.  I have read on TV that recently of a sad incident of a Ukrainian male whose wife was killed and that he had lived in Thailand as a freelance photographer for 5 years.  Is this possible as would be perfect for me.

Photographer is not a forbidden occupation, doing so without a work permit and correct visa is forbidden.

So long as a company (even a company you set up) employs you as a photographer, its not forbidden

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Photographer is not a forbidden occupation, doing so without a work permit and correct visa is forbidden.

So long as a company (even a company you set up) employs you as a photographer, its not forbidden

There are special rules for journalists. 

Nick Nostitz wasn't employed by a Thai company.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, Wilson Smith said:

If you are concerned about "tying up" 800K than I would forget the opening a company option and elite option as well. 

I'd rather buy a condo with that 800k and save 10,000B on rent, than have it sitting there doing nothing, it's just economic sense, nothing to do with not having the funds (which is what you're implying).  As for the Elite visa, I think 500k for 5 years isn't a bad deal, until you get past the 5 years and realise you need to pay another 500k and that 1M would of also bought a condo.  For me it's about using your money wisely.

• Like 1