Chulalongkorn University prof warns of second virus wave, advises govt to crack down on unsafe gatherings

webfact

17 hours ago, yourauntbob said:

There has been no correlation between measures taken by governments and the number of deaths.  There have been high death counts in areas with strict measures (NYC), and high death counts in areas with little to no measures (Sweden).  There have been low death counts in areas with strict measures (Thailand), and low death counts in areas with little to no measures (Japan). 

The correlation is more likely to do with the speed of response. Counterattacking fast and early prevented spreading. In case of Thailand, I think they had a large wave in November-February but dismissed it as usual pneumonia. They diagnosed the first one in early January, first after China. Then they got lucky with the timeline, even with their very delayed closing up, when tourism died from the sending end.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The correlation is more likely to do with the speed of response. Counterattacking fast and early prevented spreading. In case of Thailand, I think they had a large wave in November-February but dismissed it as usual pneumonia. They diagnosed the first one in early January, first after China. Then they got lucky with the timeline, even with their very delayed closing up, when tourism died from the sending end.

But if the speedy response is to do nothing (or little), then what difference does the speed make?  my point is that the virus has hit areas of the world differently and I have yet to see any data that shows correlational to policy implementation,  Further, there has been no colorization to just about anything else.   even stating "Thailand and Japan slowed the spread as they wear masks and dont shake hands" doesnt explain why the virus spread so quickly in China where they have similar culture etiquette.  

remember, the whole justification for shutting everything down was to flatten the curve.  now hospitals all over the world are seeing usually light foot traffic yet we are still locked away.    its all about control

• Like 2

On 6/8/2020 at 12:12 PM, Jingthing said:

There is no way of knowing the actual situation in Thailand because testing has been so limited. So I consider broadcasting that the virus is gone here to be misleading. It might be. That is all anyone can honestly say. 

the number of deaths tell the tale about what is happening..and that tale is that the virus aint happening in thailand... if it aint killing people, it isn't a problem....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, poskat said:

the number of deaths tell the tale about what is happening..and that tale is that the virus aint happening in thailand... if it aint killing people, it isn't a problem....

Not really. 

That would depend on how deaths are labeled and counted. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, poskat said:

You don't know that. Wishing it to be so doesn't make it so. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:26 PM, Jingthing said:

Oh I see. 

You're against science. 

That's lovely. 

Not sure where that apocalyptic silliness comes from. 

All I said is that without more widespread random testing it's impossible to really know what the actual virus situation is here. 

That's quite a mild factual statement. 

Hardly apocalyptic. 

Thing you need a life. If it is spreading in Thailand people aren't getting sick (going to doctor) or have very mild cases and think it a cold. Shut down were OK when it was a perceived threat but now the shutdowns are the problem. I'm in favor of strict entry control and emphasis of personal hygiene but common sense must prevail.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thing you need a life. If it is spreading in Thailand people aren't getting sick (going to doctor) or have very mild cases and think it a cold. Shut down were OK when it was a perceived threat but now the shutdowns are the problem. I'm in favor of strict entry control and emphasis of personal hygiene but common sense must prevail.

I have no interest in communicating with people that lead with a personal insult.

Goodbye. 

• Like 2