R A I N !

chanchao

It's raining!!!!!!

First serious rain in months... Since October I guess...?

Songkran was a glorious successs.. Will go look at the rain now...

That's really fantastic news !!! Can you imagine that even in Europe we like this message? What's the immediate effect at the smog problem?

in Two weeks we wil go to CM, and our son is suffering with his lungs, that's why.....

It's raining!!!!!!

First serious rain in months... Since October I guess...?

Songkran was a glorious successs.. Will go look at the rain now...

That's really fantastic news !!! Can you imagine that even in Europe we like this message? What's the immediate effect at the smog problem?

in Two weeks we wil go to CM, and our son is suffering with his lungs, that's why.....

Rain has stopped already.

An hour of rain isn't going to change the fact that Chiang Mai has serious air pollution. A mate of mine who is asthmatic is leaving soon. He can't take the bad air anymore.

If your son has a serious lung problem, I'd honesty suggest you don't come here.

An hour of rain isn't going to change the fact that Chiang Mai has serious air pollution. A mate of mine who is asthmatic is leaving soon. He can't take the bad air anymore.

If your son has a serious lung problem, I'd honesty suggest you don't come here.

I am afraid I would have to agree with that :o .

Are you just going to visit or planning to move here permanently ?

A visit may be OK if you monitor your son carefully and get thorough advice on precautions & management of the condition from a doctor before coming.

Lots of rain over here and also in Chiangmai where it was very windy also,now we can breath again.......The only problem with rain is that the weed is growing rapidly as well,so have to cut it again.......and I just feel so kikiat ,just wait e few more days,better then dry and hot with smoke.

Went for my usual late afternoon walk to reservoir at CMU around 4:30 PM. Sky looked very dark as I left my room. My umbrella (nice little camo-pattern jobbie) got left behind. Just as I got to reservoir the heavens opened up. Rained cats and dogs. Got absolutely drenched. F#*+!?g wonderful.... :o

Edited by mcgriffith

A visit may be OK if you monitor your son carefully and get thorough advice on precautions & management of the condition from a doctor before coming.

This visit would be to investigate weather we should stay for a couple of years or not. The asthmatic lung problem already causes trouble in moisture weather in Europe, so that's a huge concern to us. I rather don't see my son getting blue and pale and grasping for oxygen. If I understand the situation correctly, it's a very bad year and normally it's not this smoggy. We will visit for sure our home doctor to get advices and right medication upfront.

Actually it isn't quite as bad as some might think when reading this forum - as least not as far as particle matter goes. As the graphics below show. Only once within the last 3 weeks were the PM-10 level above the health hazardous level at 120. Besides - as the second graph shows - Chiang Mai seems to be doing not so bad compared to other places (as of yesterday, before todays rain).

post-35929-1176902571_thumb.jpg

post-35929-1176902630_thumb.jpg

Source: Pollution Control Department:

http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Regional/G...fm?task=default

As other data on above website will tell the interested: Since Mach 1997, Chiang Mai has had 176 days with PM-10 above 120. That makes an average of about 17 a year of which almost all are concentrated in a 2-3 weeks period in March. So rather than disposing completely of Chiang Mai - March seems to be an excellent month to take a vacation elsewhere.

Now, that was a rain. In recent days, we've had a few drops from time to time (and I mean, few enough to count, almost), but that's what Texans call a gully-washer. :o It turns out my curb drains are clogged. It helped fill up the klongs, too.

It also knocked out the power for about 5 hours, and then the dial-up modem was busy for a few more hours.

That's really fantastic news !!! Can you imagine that even in Europe we like this message?

What's the immediate effect at the smog problem?

The smog problem was already significantly reduced this month, and then when Songkran kicked off it cleared even more.

Now the levels are actually among the lowest (best) in the whole country.

So I don't really understand where some people are coming from claiming there still is an (accute/current) problem. (There is of course a yearly recurring problem of varying severity; that's not going away anytime soon.)

I'm happy I took a shot of the mountain yesterday before the rain (already pretty good looking) and will take another one today, to see the difference.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

That's really fantastic news !!! Can you imagine that even in Europe we like this message?

What's the immediate effect at the smog problem?

The smog problem was already significantly reduced this month, and then when Songkran kicked off it cleared even more.

Now the levels are actually among the lowest (best) in the whole country.

So I don't really understand where some people are coming from claiming there still is an (accute/current) problem. (There is of course a yearly recurring problem of varying severity; that's not going away anytime soon.)

I'm happy I took a shot of the mountain yesterday before the rain (already pretty good looking) and will take another one today, to see the difference.

Cheers,

Chanchao

So our governor will be jumping up and down pointing to himself saying "see I was right, next time you unbelievers will listen to me"

Had three short but very heavy rains over night at San Kamphaeng and one at 6am this morning that was nice. I went outside and discovered that I had 7 cats sheltering under my verandah. All looked at me as if to say - well are you going to feed us while we are here?

Some cumulus cloud is forming as I type and it is darkening at the edges so we may be in for some more.

CB

Just my luck :o

Having spent 2 weeks in the UK in the wetest month of the year ...no rain :D

I phoned my wife from the airport in BKK and she told me it was raining..yipee I thought, I cant wait to feel some rain ...but because my flight got caught up in the CM Airport fiasco yesterday by the time I arrived it had stopped :D

Water everywhere except on me...so its still October since I enjoyed the feeling

"Raindrops keep falling on my head" is NOT a song that goes down well with me right now :D

Maybee tomrrow..does not look much like rain today :D

I hope I am wrong though

This visit would be to investigate weather we should stay for a couple of years or not. The asthmatic lung problem already causes trouble in moisture weather in Europe, so that's a huge concern to us. I rather don't see my son getting blue and pale and grasping for oxygen. If I understand the situation correctly, it's a very bad year and normally it's not this smoggy. We will visit for sure our home doctor to get advices and right medication upfront.

I don't want to sound hard on you here mate...but if your kid has trouble in europe with the air, you are INSANE if you are contemplating bringing him to south east asia.

Yes, this is a bad year for Chiang Mai.

But even GREAT years...the air is nowhere near as clean and crisp as europe.

This is the third world. Go anywhere from Saigon to Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur and you're breathing in a lot of crap every day.

Anyone with a serious lung condition should NOT be living in this part of the world.

Edited by KhunLing

Nice lightening show happening right now @ 7:50 PM due north of me, around 700 Yr Stadium/Mae Rim. Breeze moving trees. More Rain?

Rumble, rumble.. I LOVE it!

I have always loved the rain in a warm climate and monsoon is my favorite season but thunderstorms are a particular delight. I moved here six years ago from Hawaii where thunderstorms are very rare indeed so every time I hear the rumbles, I head outside to enjoy the show.

From the feel of it, we should have a couple of weeks of showers before the last of the hot/dry season comes back in to cook us. I am outa here in a week tho - off to, yup, Hawaii; and the Rockies where we may even have the opportunity to fling a few snowballs at them pesky squirrels...