Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, samran said:

Funny, I’ve always had you pinned as a JRM fan. His tone deafness is enough to make anyone swoon. 

When they say a politician is "out of touch" with most people, JRM is the poster-boy. I expect that many in the judiciary & elsewhere in Britain are rather like him.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

I wonder how many of the power elite are sitting back and having a giggle over this.  Things are being pushed toward a perfect storm ... income/savings/jobs at risk, health at risk, safety at risk.  When will we all be ready to hand things over to a dictator who will make us feel secure again?  We are being played like a fiddle.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bodga said:

Ban  all religions too, theyre  evil .

I'm an atheist, I know there is no god, but no problem with who people peacefully worship. That is not the same as idolising those who do evil.

6 minutes ago, bodga said:

No need, form a  mob and just go smash em up, seems to work  now.

Nope

9 minutes ago, bodga said:

Youd  better  revile  most countries in the world then

I tend to revile individuals based on their actions, I don't judge mass communities as a whole. That's prejudice, the kind of prejudice that the man whose statue was torn down used to commit unforgivable evil.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Dr. Martin Luther King did more for advancing equality than all the SJWs combined. All these riots and violent protests do is bring about more anger and resentment.

Confused by black people not parroting the narrative? 

confused 1.png

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Indeed...which is why they pulled the statue down. It belongs in a museum, to remind everyone of the atrocities that took place.

Now I do agree with that !  There are lots of things in museums that do not need putting on display outside. Maybe items from the past 2 world wars such as flame throwers , If interested go and visit museums.

Oh I do hope no one tries to pull down Nelson's column.

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Something that should have been done a long time ago? That's your opinion and many disagree with you. It's certainly not a decision to be taken by the mob.

On public safety, what's more important? Removing a statue that some people don't like or protecting the lives of innocent people and health workers in the middle of a pandemic that has killed 40,000 people in the UK alone? My family lives in Bristol including my 78 year old mother, and idiotic crowds like this risk a spike in infections that could well lead to more deaths in the area.

Surely your ilk and the leftist mobs that push this divisive agenda can wait until the pandemic has eased before vandalizing public property and endangering the public. 

I believe removing statues of those who profited from the misery of slavery and protecting public health are both important.

Not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

They are mutually exclusive if removing the statue involves gathering thousands of people to riot in close proximity in the middle of an air borne pandemic that has claimed over 40,000 lives in the UK.

Would a picture help your understanding?

image.png.33293d80ff4c91f0eff6c58f3497767c.png

And if you want to remove it then campaign for its removal through democratic means. Not through mob rule under the threat of violence.

I didn't remove the statue or break social distancing norms.

I support social distancing and lockdown precautions.

I also support the removal of statues of those vile individuals who profited from human misery. Not sure I would have done it this way, but I understand the feelings and motivations of those who did so.

See, not exclusive.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

That will include 12 USA presidents as well as Lincoln who planned to ship them back to Africa after the civil war. The USA have one of the biggest slave owners on the dollar bill, you probably think they should replace that with Malcolm X or some other hater of white people. The past should be left in the past and the statues left alone, time for people to move on and and stop stoking up hate and blaming what was done hundreds of years ago for their own failures.

As I said earlier, this thread isn't about the USA, however...

I support the removal of statues of slavers and have made no indication of who could replace them...

I completely disagree with you on ignoring the evils of the past and leaving up statues of those who profited from the misery of slavery.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

Seems like mob rule has taken over in the UK..... police deciding not to intervene..... rule of law broken time and time again.  I'm glad to have left the UK 18 years ago - it's gone to the dogs!

Been on that slippery slope for many years sadly. Police only allowed to enforce laws selectively. Political correctness more important.

The local force have said they will investigate this criminal damage. Let's see how far they get. Some very clear photos of those responsible.

Same in London. Some very clear photos of the violent thugs using this protest as cover for their own political agendas.

• Like 1