Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

55 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Follow the money, BLM is funded by Open Society Foundations, Borealis Philanthropy and Ford amongst others. Open Society Foundations is George Soros' company, big data and social media companies are driving this agenda, a cultural and economic revolution.

Farage is sort of correct today, he thinks that a marxist revolution is on the way, it is left wing driven.

Oh I don't doubt it but I'd rather have evolution than revolution...

47 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Is the legality of his actions a valid excuse in this day and age? The Nazi persecution of Jews in the 1930's was legal under German law but I am certain that nobody would suggest that we should view it any less dimly because of that. 

Might it be that if the reality of his actions had been made equally as clear to the masses long before now, his statue might still be standing? Who knows, but in light of this is a development in Edinburgh, which has long celebrated Henry Dundas, a Scot who helped shore up the slave trade in the UK. Now one of his descendants is calling on the council to counterpoint the various statues to him and squares and streets named after him with the warts and all truth about his deeds. It won't change the past but it might appease those who still feel aggrieved. 

Descendant of Scottish politician who prolonged slavery urges Edinburgh council to make changes to his ancestor's statue

"Henry Dundas is often celebrated in the city, but one of his descendants has argued the man’s links to prolonging slavery must be exposed."

Cultural/economic/social revolution unfolding.

Edited by tribalfusion001

44 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Crackpot conspiracy nonsense, except it’s not crackpot - it’s straight out of the extreme rightwing playbook.

The ‘Elders of Zion’ re-written for the 21st Century.

Never heard of Elders of Zion. I'm not left or right, I can't decide, I use to vote Conservative, didn't vote last time. I'm not a fascist or a marxist, more of a techno fan, but interested in what is going on 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Cultural/economic/social revolution unfolding.

Sadly I doubt it. It will get a few days/weeks media time then all will be back to normal....until the next time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Sadly I doubt it. It will get a few days/weeks media time then all will be back to normal....until the next time.

Probably, it's the boredom nothing else to do apart from looking at the internet or going for a cycle. Boris better get those pubs open asap that will be solve the problem.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

And by the same token, if it wasn't for the toppled statue guy, his family might not have been transported to Jamaica and Africans in Africa might not have been left in a state of almost endless poverty, famine and war.

Which happened after the African countries were granted independence.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

I dont know much about this or about Edward Colston, but was the statue erected because he traded in slaves or was the statue for some other reason he was famous?  

I think he was important for the city back in the days .. Gave money and subsequently the city put up a statue for him.  All the big ports on the west coast of England was in various forms involved. Ships and the sea you know .....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Meanwhile, as the UK and USA tear themselves apart with riots and sob-story apologies for past historical events, the CCP gets stronger by the day with their bully boy tactics and their (so-far) successful route to world domination.  Bit ironic that....

Not really ... ???? .. Just look at history ... Some nations got up .. some go down ... same same .. just give it time.  I think Asia will be the next power house which will dominate ... Then maybe eventually it will be Africa when the steam run out in Asia..

All of us here on  TV will be long gone by then ???? ....

Or maybe it will be Covit-35 or a nuclear war that will be the big 'historical reset' ....

For some, what is happening in the west is a very good reason why some do not like 'full on democracy'.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

A statue to a man whose fortune was founded in human misery is pulled down?

Good.

<deleted> his memory and that of all who profited from slavery. 

Hmmmm a bit hard really as we all have profited if not directly then indirectly.  Better to be educated and understand the history and its complexity. Learn from the past, respect it and try to do better in the future.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Next flashpoints, Oxford 5pm today, Cecil Rhodes statue, planned protest. Saturday 13th June, Tommy Robinson has done a video asking for patriots and football hooligans to protect statues, 10am parliament square.

Wouldn't it be better if the police did their job, or even better people didn't allow themselves to be brainwashed. However it's rather difficult when you have Mayor's, councillors and top ranking police officers saying they are pleased certain statues are desecrated or torn down...most of these idiots knowledge of slavery is through watching "Roots"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Wouldn't it be better if the police did their job, or even better people didn't allow themselves to be brainwashed. However it's rather difficult when you have Mayor's, councillors and top ranking police officers saying they are pleased certain statues are desecrated or torn down...most of these idiots knowledge of slavery is through watching "Roots"

Most people only look at an image and read the headline, either angry or happy depending on the context. It's easy to sway people on social media, plenty of viral images doing the rounds at present. A lot of them are fake photos and disinformation, both sides guilty of stirring it up.

10 hours ago, Andrew65 said:
10 hours ago, sirineou said:

I dont know much about this or about Edward Colston, but was the statue erected because he traded in slaves or was the statue for some other reason he was famous?  

His philanthropy has meant the Colston name permeates Bristol. Besides the statue, there is Colston’s, an independent school, named after him, along with a concert hall, Colston Hall, a high-rise office office block, Colston Tower, Colston Street and Colston Avenue.

Colston then began to develop a reputation as a philanthropist who donated to charitable causes such as schools and hospitals in Bristol and London. He briefly served as a Tory MP for Bristol before dying in Mortlake, Surrey, in 1721. He is buried in All Saints Church in Bristol

Looks like they'll have to tear down the whole of Bristol then.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Colston’s, an independent school, named after him, along with a concert hall, Colston Hall, a high-rise office office block, Colston Tower, Colston Street and Colston Avenue.

Burn em  all down.......coming soon to a  slave trading town near you. Dont forget the massive African involvement in slave trading too, theyve been selling themselves for eons. Romans Egyptians Africans, endless ,and it  still goes  on.

Edited by bodga

2 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

All these riots and violent protests do is bring about more anger and resentment.

Agreed, mass demonstration is  more effective , but smashing stuff up is way  more fun for most of these idiots with too  much time on their  hands.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1