Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

Edward Colston (2 November 1636 – 11 October 1721) was an English merchant, slave trader, Tory Member of Parliament, and philanthropist. Born in Bristol to a family of merchants that had lived in the city since the 1340s, he became a merchant, initially trading in wine, fruits and cloth, mainly in Spain, Portugal and other European ports. In 1680, he became heavily involved in the slave trade through his membership of the Royal African Company, which held a monopoly of the British trade in African slaves. He became Deputy Governor, the highest office of the company, in 1689. It is uncertain exactly how much of his wealth stemmed from the slave trade.

A statue for a slave trader? - Brilliant!

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

By the same standard should we remove statues or pictures of Henry VIII? Some of the things he did would be reviled by today's standards.

Also, George Washington was a slave owner, what's to be done about that?

Personally, for me, I don't think they really equate to the same, but I see why them being lauded upsets you.

If you wish to see them taken down, campaign for such.

Fine by me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Whether the statue remained or was removed was not a decision for the baying mob, that is the point. Funny how the leftists always defend violent, anti-social behaviour when it's them doing it, but are the first to decry it if their opponents do it. Hypocrites to their very core.

Will you condemn the mob's irresponsible disregard of social distancing rules, putting the lives of many innocent members of the public and health workers at risk just so they could virtue signal?

Not the same really.

Social distancing is a necessity caused by something beyond our control.

Removing a statue that wasn't necessary for public safety and was something that should have been done a long time ago is within our control.

Would I have pulled it down? No not really.

Do I understand why others did? Absolutely I do.

• Sad 1

Just now, bannork said:

Like narcotics, possession is not regarded as serious as trafficking. George may get off with a caution.

If George or Benjamin did not buy the slaves they would not be trafficked.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

Like narcotics, possession is not regarded as serious as trafficking. George may get off with a caution.

Funny you say that. Should the people involved in the trafficking of opium in the 1800's be treated similarly, Hong Kong/China etc.

Up until the 20th century heroin/opium was legal in many places. Should these people now be reviled as slavers now are?

• Like 1

Just now, BobBKK said:

I don't disagree but they highlight only whites. Isn't that racist?  most of the slaves were captured by Blacks who had a huge involvement in the trade but we never hear about that do we?

and Arabs ????

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No toss it it the drink, like the bodies of slaves who died on board ships taking them across the Atlantic.

Indeed!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

But it's the small minority deciding for the silent majority isn't it? who are THEY to make those decisions?  have a vote, make it a platform at the next local election.

As far as I'm concerned, because of the evil this man did, his memory should not be celebrated

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

So a drug user should be charged for encouraging the trade as well as for possession?

Same for pedophilia?  you don't think the evil of the men who do this encourages those that supply?   really?

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I would have left the statue up, but had a televised event where everyone was included and put up a huge permanent sign next to it explaining the history of the man.....including highlighting his role in the salve trade. 

A new plaque was dicussed at council meetings in Bristol to be fiited to the statue including the amont if slaves transported 84000 and that including 9000 children who died on route.

The decision was not upheld by the council Tory coucillors supported by the Merchant Venturers voted it down. This was not so long ago the problem of colstons statue and naming if buildings and roads in brustol has been ongoing for a number of years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

As far as I know his donation of millions is being celebrated not that I have a real clue as to who he is but, generally, I am against mob rule.

It still celebrates a man who profited from a trade that is beyond any form of justification or redemption. Such people should not have statues errected in their memory.

I'm not a fan of mob rule either, but I do understand why they acted this way.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, vogie said:

Please don't you jump to conclusions that Boris is my hero

Funny, I’ve always had you pinned as a JRM fan. His tone deafness is enough to make anyone swoon.