Renew Driving Licence

madmitch

My driving licence expired while the Phuket DLT office was closed. I believe it's now open for renewals but I have no idea what I need to do to renew in the current climate.

I assume that the same documents are required (usual passport/visa copies plus certificate of residence from Immigration and possibly health certificate, though this varied from one day to another!) but online searches are providing conflicting information. I don't know if I need an appointment of=r just show. I would like to do it as soon as possible, preferably before they reopen for new licences later this month.

So, anyone have any ideas? Has anyone done this since the reopening of the office? Failing any positive responses I'll go to the office next week as I need to do a 90 day report anyway.

• Like 1

IIRC I read somewhere that they would be fully open for business from 18 June (can't remember where though). Limited services at the moment. Best thing is as you say- stop by next week to check. 

It was mentioned on 7 June as part of Phuket governor's order to confirm opening of the beach and this:

"......

The order also includes instructions to PLTO and driving school accredited by the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

The PLTO is ordered to resume driving license renewal services from June 8 and all other services from June 22. Accredited driving schools can resume teaching from June 22 as well.

All the parties should follow the relevant procedures and instructions established to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

......"

2 minutes ago, Agusts said:

It was mentioned on 7 June as part of Phuket governor's order to confirm opening of the beach and this:

"......

The order also includes instructions to PLTO and driving school accredited by the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

The PLTO is ordered to resume driving license renewal services from June 8 and all other services from June 22. Accredited driving schools can resume teaching from June 22 as well.

All the parties should follow the relevant procedures and instructions established to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

......"

Thanks. I did see this but there are no details published anywhere as to how the process will work. I want to do it before the 22nd when it'll be horrible in the DLT office.

5 minutes ago, madmitch said:

FYI.

The DLT office is open for driving licence renewals........but not for foreigners!

We have to wait until 1st July, the reason, apparently, is that the room where they show the how to drivein Thailand video in English won't be open until that date! Yes, that was the actual reason given to my GF who came to the centre with me.

Do we need an appointment? Do we need the same documents as before? Do we need to download the DLT app? I don't know as the lady at the front desk didn't seem to have much of a clue.

so... you were for a Renewal, but cannot due to inabilty to be shown video...

- you have to watch a video 'every' time you renew? (same video every time?) 

I'd have thought they'd be like every other country, that would do 'video' for New Applications? 

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

I'd have thought they'd be like every other country, that would do 'video' for New Applications? 

Yes. Video every renewal.  And it's just a joke video. Last time I renewed the officer got bored and cut video short and declared go downstairs for licence document process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes. Video every renewal.  And it's just a joke video. Last time I renewed the officer got bored and cut video short and declared go downstairs for licence document process.

... and if it had been a MrBean based one - it doesn't need talking to get the picture!

No idea but I have never watched a video or taken a proper test - well, except that reaction test with a pedal...! And that was just the very first time... Phuket DLT.

I gave them my international driving permit the very first time,  got car and bike licenses for 2 years. Last year renewed for 5 years, just took my photo, in and out after 20min, and 10min was queue to take photos, that's all...

My friend from Germany , also with internatinal permit, had to do all the tests and even practical ones, failed on reverse car parking a few times too...lol  ! Who knows, some people have to do test, watch videos and some don't...! 

4 hours ago, tifino said:

taken a proper test - well, except that reaction test with a pedal...! And that was just the very first time... Phuket DLT.

I took my written test 1st time in Thai, ( no i cant read thai) the lady marked all the correct answers in pencil and then i just darkened the check mark in Ink.

Have seen the video 5x now, always in Thai

Have done a reaction and Color test EVERY time

Never have been done before 11:30

Mine is up in March,should be ok by than   LOL

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

FYI.

The DLT office is open for driving licence renewals........but not for foreigners!

We have to wait until 1st July, the reason, apparently, is that the room where they show the how to drivein Thailand video in English won't be open until that date! Yes, that was the actual reason given to my GF who came to the centre with me.

Do we need an appointment? Do we need the same documents as before? Do we need to download the DLT app? I don't know as the lady at the front desk didn't seem to have much of a clue.

The DLT app only lets you put in a 13-digit Thai ID number to register. It doesn't work for foreigners.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agusts said:

No idea but I have never watched a video or taken a proper test - well, except that reaction test with a pedal...! And that was just the very first time... Phuket DLT.

I gave them my international driving permit the very first time,  got car and bike licenses for 2 years. Last year renewed for 5 years, just took my photo, in and out after 20min, and 10min was queue to take photos, that's all...

My friend from Germany , also with internatinal permit, had to do all the tests and even practical ones, failed on reverse car parking a few times too...lol  ! Who knows, some people have to do test, watch videos and some don't...! 

Lucky you. Maybe changed since my last renewal 4 years ago. Video then, and the 9 years before.  

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Lucky you. Maybe changed since my last renewal 4 years ago. Video then, and the 9 years before.  

I renewed in Jan (my 3rd(!) 5 year)- had to watch the video. As they were late starting the lady, as commented on above, cut it short. No biggy as I had the Kindle with me anyway.

After that the whole process was pretty quick, as I commented on the other thread about it. IIRC I was out by around 11.

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Same, even when were still getting the pink paper ones 

My birthday is June 30th, so not sure if this (due to delays maybe until July 1st) will help me, inconvenience me by a year, or screw everything up. I have had car and bike licences for about 17 years. ????????????????????

14 minutes ago, 2long said:

My birthday is June 30th, so not sure if this (due to delays maybe until July 1st) will help me, inconvenience me by a year, or screw everything up. I have had car and bike licences for about 17 years. ????????????????????

Not a problem. Many people in the same boat. Your licence is valid while the state of emergency is in effect anyway and it seems that'll be another month from what's being said.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

I always do my re newels the day AFTER my birthday, that way get 6 years

Then I hope it works out like that for me.

There's another thread about online learning, but I am not sure if it's necessary for renewals. Luckily the office is just a couple of miles away from us.

16 hours ago, 2long said:

Then I hope it works out like that for me.

There's another thread about online learning, but I am not sure if it's necessary for renewals. Luckily the office is just a couple of miles away from us.

Just got the missus to call my local Transport Office, my D L ran out in April, They have told her not to worry as the Amnesty for renewal runs until the 30th of Sept! but can renew it now, and i "Might need to get a medical":unsure: so long ago (6yr) now that i can not remember, if the medical is mandatory or not, on renewal any one Know? as even they seem vague ???? 

Just now, brianthainess said:

Just got the missus to call my local Transport Office, my D L ran out in April, They have told her not to worry as the Amnesty for renewal runs until the 30th of Sept! but can renew it now, and i "Might need to get a medical":unsure: so long ago (6yr) now that i can not remember, if the medical is mandatory or not, on renewal any one Know? as even they seem vague ???? 

Turn up with a medical certificate they don't want it. Arrive without one and they ask for it. I'm going to be safe and get one anyway. 100 baht at Doctor Chusak.

Don't go before July 1st if you're in Phuket!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, need medical for renewal, last year they wanted it in Phuket DLT anyway...

Price went up from 100b to 150b, but at least they checked my blood pressure, a few years back just signed the paper and gave it to me, so I got something for the extra 50b..., rare ! 5555

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Turn up with a medical certificate they don't want it. Arrive without one and they ask for it. I'm going to be safe and get one anyway. 100 baht at Doctor Chusak.

Don't go before July 1st if you're in Phuket!

A friend of mine went in yesterday to check when he could renew- they told him 3 July.

I've never had a medical certificate certificate and they didn't ask for one in Jan, when I renewed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well i didn't go with a medical as the logistics of getting one before was not possible for me. I went to a different Transport  office (same province)  this time, as the main one before, refused to accept the yellow book, and insist on the letter from immigration and even they tell me its not needed but TIT. I got there eventually at 11 am GPS was wrong and google maps. As i said before the missus had spoken to them before on the phone. They checked all my Docs and was told all OK, now you have to make an appointment for next week, when it was pointed out i could have been told that over the phone, she lost face and started shouting at my wife that she had to check first, that my docs were Genuine, so now I must make the 3.5 hrs. trip again next week and be there at 1pm. Upside yellow book accepted, No medical required and now I know where it is.

.... so now I must make the 3.5 hrs. trip again next week

where do u live that u use the phuket office for ur license?
surely there must be one closer, ( Phang Nga, Krabi, Surat thani, Trang) 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, madmitch said:

FYI.

What if you understand Thai?

Also, when I did my renewal on the last day before they closed, the video was in Thai with English subtitles anyway.

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

What if you understand Thai?

Also, when I did my renewal on the last day before they closed, the video was in Thai with English subtitles anyway.

if you watch the video, you'll be the only one in the classroom that does.........everyone is plugged into the internet via phone.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, Agusts said:

Yes, need medical for renewal, last year they wanted it in Phuket DLT anyway...

Price went up from 100b to 150b, but at least they checked my blood pressure, a few years back just signed the paper and gave it to me, so I got something for the extra 50b..., rare ! 5555

So far i know and according my experience is that the medical is only required when you change from the temporary to full 5 year DL.

For a 5 year renewal the medical should not be required. (unless things are changed overnight)

Maybe i'm wrong but i thought that the DL can be done up to 1 year after the expire date ???

• Like 1