Exodus of 1,500 migrant workers daily sparks worry of Thai labour shortage

webfact

44 minutes ago, Trillian said:

69,790,217, to be precise...do I hear any advance ?

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/thailand-population/

That is only because the car accidents are down this year because there is no songkran But rest assured the culture Minister is rectifing that by having Songkran in July

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Don't forget the Khmers too! Because they will do what Thais are too lazy to do!  

And there is one of the major issues within Thai Society.

No Thai would be seen working in the fields on a daily basis. It is beneath them to be involved in such ways of making a living. Way beneath them.

Thais would also not work for the minimum wage offered by employers, or the conditions in which they have to work and to spend any free time.

The Immigrant Labour in this Country are the very backbone of Thai Business. Without these people there would be no crops planted or harvested, no high rise buildings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trillian said:

Whilst the population may be 69.7 million, the workforce is only 35 million, the remainder are too old, too young or unable to work.

And the one who dont want to work

My Thai friend offered 500Baht and 3 free meals a day to local villagers if they worked for him, and even thou the villagers were complaining that they had no work and no money they all refused to work for that. But, when my friend hired Myanmar workers for 400/day the villagers went to the labor office to complain that he was employing Myanmar workers, and demanded that the labor office would force him to hire the villagers and then pay them 15,000Baht/month.
My friend still employs Myanmar workers and he still pays them 400Baht/day and 3 meals a day (every day, including their days off)... each worker have their own room (no AC, but it's still better rooms than many Thais from the villages lives in in Bangkok), free WiFi on the whole compound, common area with fridge, washing machine, TV, karaoke and a computer (for Skype call, etc), free healthcare (including for the children of those worker who have brought them there) and so on. The Myanmar workers working for my friend don't want to leave as they can't find a work place like that in Myanmar (and probably not in most of Thailand)!

• Thanks 1

One of the jobs typically filled by Burmese laborers is the "Spider Man" job.

In our 25 story condo this means hanging from one rope, washing the windows on the outside of the building.

Our windows were supposed to have been washed in March 2020.  Now it is June 2020 and they have not been washed.

When I read this article, our windows may not be washed for the next for months to come....  

On 6/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, webfact said:

Thai businesses’ worries of a labour shortage,

There's any number of Thais with jobs but few who work.  To easily solve the crisis 50% of these workers should be sacked immediately; there would be no discernible fall in productivity; the Uncivil Service would continue to give no service and the police would go their ineffective corrupt way.  The 50% rule should rise to 90% for the Armed Services.

Edited by mikebell
missing words