U.S. companies vow to fight racism but face critics on diversity

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

The only one protesting in general are older white guys or white guys who are just not qualified enough to compete with different eccentricities if they don't have an edge. 

Are we talking Indian coders, lots of Indian qualifications, work cheap, but their code flies planes into the ground?

PS. Did you really mean 'eccentricities'?

Edited by BritManToo

No i did not mean that i think my auto correct changed something. Its still early.

I am talking about qualified people. I dont care where they are from. I seen how hard it was for some of my classmates with a different skin tone / last name get a place to do an apprenticeship. Racism is alive and well. Thankfully it was getting a lot better around my time. 

They were even suggesting letters without last names because many would be rejected on a foreign last name. They did test sending the same letter out with different last names and guess what non Dutch sounding names got invited less. 

So it exists and is loathsome, just imagine a nice Turkish or black or asian with good qualifications that can't get a job and its not because of qualifications. That frustrates people drives them into crime and such. Holds people back from studying (i wont get a job anyway ect). 

Not saying that its not used as an excuse by certain people to hide their own failings (seen that too) but to deny that racism happens and is bad is stupid. I am also not denying that it does not work the other way around. White people are not the only ones discriminating. 

There was a big row a day ago when that was implied in a learning text for children. (and that too should be met with resistance)

Just need to see both sides of a coin. Lot of people on this board are not able to do so. 

On 6/11/2020 at 2:14 AM, robblok said:

Problems is that often people who are qualified and of an different color or group of friends don't get the job. When i worked at a stock trader firm you would often see that friends (who were of course qualified would get jobs) but others without the connection who were qualified too would not get the jobs. So if the original group was white it often meant that they would hire white friends. 

Not sure that its always racism because besides qualifications someone has to fit in the group too. Otherwise its creates a bad work environment. However it does shut people out. 

did your company have a human resources department ?  in my experience (USA), most hiring runs through the human resources department and it isn't easy to get a friend hired.  not saying it doesn't happen but human resources looks hard at the diversity in the group and will often select a candidate that adds to the diversity.  maybe it is different in other countries and maybe even other states in the USA.  my experience is in california, diversity is king there.  every decent size company has regular diversity training that is mandatory for employees to attend.

i've been out of the work force since 2006 so not sure how it is going now.  i assume it got even better on the diversity front but maybe it took a step back.