Thailand lockdown easing: Bang Saen and Koh Larn very busy - but Pattaya beaches remain deathly quiet

webfact

Thailand lockdown easing: Bang Saen and Koh Larn very busy - but Pattaya beaches remain deathly quiet

563000006198201.jpg

Picture: Manger Online

Manager reported that since June 1st Bang Saen beach in Chonburi and Koh Larn island off the coast of Pattaya had been doing a roaring trade. 

But beaches in Pattaya and Jomtien remained very quiet. 

They put this down to the different tourist dynamic - Thais are more likely to go to places like Bang saen and Koh Larn while foreigners prefer Pattaya.

Needless to say foreigners are still a rare breed with visitors to Thailand still almost non-existent as Thailand emerges from lockdown. 

10.jpg

Picture: Manger Online

Manager said that the Bali Hai port was packed yesterday as were the beaches of Koh Larn even though it was not a holiday or weekend.

They said that Pattaya mayor Sontaya Khunpluem had noted that his city was very quiet in comparison. 

Source: Manger Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-11

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

Manager reported that since June 1st Bang Saen beach in Chonburi and Koh Larn island off the coast of Pattaya had been doing a roaring trade.

'a roaring trade'

It's showing the potential that's lion ahead.

• Haha 1

"But beaches in Pattaya and Jomtien remained very quiet."

I can't speak for Pattaya, but loads of people on Jomtien beach. I'd say 80-90% of parking spaces taken, numbers look similar to pre virus when a long weekend is happening.

Or maybe they were cardboard cut outs..

3 hours ago I drove down Jomtein Beach Road.  It was busier than it has been, mostly Thais. I guess if schools are shut,bars closed and you dont have a lot of money because you have lost your job, the beach is not a bad place to come.

What did surprise me was the number of people without masks. I would say it was about 60/40 (60 without) on the other hand in Pattaya it was reversed (40/60). No sign of plod anywhere telling people to wear masks.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, roger101 said:

3 hours ago I drove down Jomtein Beach Road.  It was busier than it has been, mostly Thais. I guess if schools are shut,bars closed and you dont have a lot of money because you have lost your job, the beach is not a bad place to come.

A beach full of Thai's, many of whom have lost their job, is certainly a good economic indicator of prosperous times ahead. ????

8 hours ago, time2093 said:

come to Pattaya for the pristine beaches.

What a joke! Pattaya in my opinion is dump, and should be turned into a Chinese Special Economic Gambling Zone (like Sihanoukville in Cambodia) to regenerate a vast income.

16 hours ago, nickmondo said:

why would anyone want to go to the beach in Pattaya or Jomtien?

Plenty of reasons if one is used to a crowded small home in traffic gnarled Bangkok, or even a little 30 sqm condo in town.

15 hours ago, roger101 said:

What did surprise me was the number of people without masks. I would say it was about 60/40 (60 without) on the other hand in Pattaya it was reversed (40/60). No sign of plod anywhere telling people to wear masks.

I swam in Jomtien Beach around noon hour yesterday. 

Indeed mostly Jomtien/Pattaya Thai brought their children to the beach.   

19 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

As the only folks I see out and about not wearing masks are foreigners so I don't blame the Thais for staying away. The selfish foreign knobs think just because their country is a diseased cesspool due to a total lack common sense, that they can carry on with that bs here..

Do not start with this <deleted>. Thais are anyway now fueling separatism. I just read that they are not allowing foreigners on the longhaul buses, because they have no Thai ID. It is a fact that this governemnet is fueling the bad treatment of foreigners as they would be made guilty of everything (one of the worst is Minister Anutin). Actually the governemnet are killing the Thai economy (I am sure they are prolonging the emergency state, because they are afraid that they might get some protesters in the city which now the military and police can shut down easily) and the poor Thais pay the price. The well off Thais with good jobs in the city and in governement are practically not hampered by covid 19, they are surviving merrily. By the way the masks have good effect in crowded places, but on the beach with the wind from the sea (where would the covid 19 come from out of the sea?, be more reasonable)

• Like 1