Traveling to Eu on article 10 residence card obtained in UK

Hi all,

I'm a Dutch national married to a Thai and we have two kids together. Until last January we lived in the UK (for 5 years) under the EEA rules. My wife obtained a EEA 2 family permit (5 year residence card) for her stay.

We have since moved back to Thailand but want to make frequent trips to Europe (Schengen). My wife's card is still valid until 2023, however at the end of this year the UK leaves the EU.

Does anyone know if this impact the validity of her EEA residence card when visiting other EU countries?? We would like to go to France and Spain after Covid19 is gone 

Thanks!

Hello.

I am a British national living in Slovakia and a teacher that travels and works in Asia each year.

I received a letter from the Slovak Government last year that stated if any British expat has 5 years or more in Slovakia they can continue their residence without hindrance. I hastily renewed my residence card last year, and I now have a new 10 year card. 

Therefore, it seems to me and my other expat colleagues in Slovakia, that residency can only be obtained freely with this 5 year ruling.

However, the UK is still officially inside the EU until the end of this year when they make the full break away deal. This is still apparent when you quote the IATA Website for travel within the EU, as the UK still has free travel to member states. Therefore, I believe you would be able to travel to schengen and the UK. But bear in mind, the UK introduced a 2 week quarantine rule only 2 days ago for arriving passengers.

I hope that has clarified some questions you may have.

Please feel free to email if you have any further questions.

1 hour ago, Raphus said:

Hello.

I am a British national living in Slovakia and a teacher that travels and works in Asia each year.

I received a letter from the Slovak Government last year that stated if any British expat has 5 years or more in Slovakia they can continue their residence without hindrance. I hastily renewed my residence card last year, and I now have a new 10 year card. 

Therefore, it seems to me and my other expat colleagues in Slovakia, that residency can only be obtained freely with this 5 year ruling.

However, the UK is still officially inside the EU until the end of this year when they make the full break away deal. This is still apparent when you quote the IATA Website for travel within the EU, as the UK still has free travel to member states. Therefore, I believe you would be able to travel to schengen and the UK. But bear in mind, the UK introduced a 2 week quarantine rule only 2 days ago for arriving passengers.

I hope that has clarified some questions you may have.

Please feel free to email if you have any further questions.

Thanks for this. Do you think we can still travel freely after the UK leaves? The residence card is given out by the UK government based on EEA rules, but we don't live in the UK anymore. Thanks

On 6/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, Raphus said:

However, the UK is still officially inside the EU until the end of this year when they make the full break away deal.

I understand what you are saying. Another way of putting it is that the UK formally left the EU on 31 January 2020. The UK and the EU have agreed a transition period until 31 December 2020. The UK and the EU have until 31 December 2020 to agree or to not agree on issues such as a trade deal and the free movement of people.

16 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The UK and the EU have agreed a transition period until 31 December 2020. The UK and the EU have until 31 December 2020 to agree or to not agree on issues such as a trade deal and the free movement of people.

Indeed, holders of permits under the transition period which is currently until 31 December, but permits may well become invalid at the end of 2020 unless an extension of the transition period is agreed, which Johnson says won't happen, or there is some sort of agreement on free movement, which he also says won't happen, but who knows? 

Archived