Statue of scout founder Baden-Powell to be taken down in Britain

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Queen Vic. Southend on sludge. 

......and after the pubs getting it whether Angie and Den like it or not. 

I take it that you are going for  drink and then you are going to vandalise her statue, may even destroy it.

Do you dislike her and for what reason do you dislike her , or you you just want to break something and have a riot and a bit of action with the Police ?

If we dont hear from you for a while , we'll assume that you got caught and jailed 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

If more BAME (and stale white) academics were willing to do new historical research from the BAME aspect, then publish, review and add their works to the existing course reference lists, then I think that would be the best way. After that, then the best balance of all the literature might be agreed on and selected for different courses (especially if necessary, for specialization). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Very true, it's only 8 miles away. I might go to the Chelmsford protest tomorrow, buy a 4 pack and sit in a park.

Thats a bit lazy isnt it ?

Going to a protest and just sitting there drinking beer 

You really should join up with the other protestors and start singing songs .

If the other lot start disgustingly start singing "Get your tits out for the lads"

Just dont get annoyed and sing back to them

*We all agree , Cricket is better than football "

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Thats a bit lazy isnt it ?

Going to a protest and just sitting there drinking beer 

You really should join up with the other protestors and start singing songs .

If the other lot start disgustingly start singing "Get your tits out for the lads"

Just dont get annoyed and sing back to them

*We all agree , Cricket is better than football "

<deleted> all else to do with no pubs open, plus might be some fit birds around. I know plenty of football songs "your sh*t and you know you are" "does your boyfriend, does your boyfriend, does your boyfriend know your here" obviously are to be sung to the thugs lol.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, faraday said:

There's a statue of Captain Mainwaring who was in Dad's Army, & the C.O. of Clive Dunn.

Because Clive Dunn - in his TV role, talked about "fuzzy wuzzies", the statue needs to go.

Then of course, we have "It ain't half hot mum".....

Oh yes, better go after the script writers too. And their families.

????

I was talking about this very thing yesterday when I read that the awful Little Britain has been pulled from BBC iPlayer and the masterpiece Gone With The Wind is off HBO's list.   I abhor racism, have called it out since I was in primary school and have had some horrible fights with both close family and complete stranger because of it.  We can't change history and neither should we photoshop it to make ourselves feel better.  Artistic efforts reflect the zeitgeist of the age.  We may not look back favourably on some of them, but it gives a snapshot into widely held opinions at the date of conception.  

I mused about what TV program will be the next one to go and started with the obvious - Love Thy Neighbour.  Young as I was, it didn't seem to me to be satirising racism in the same way 'Til Death Us Do Part did and I found it icky and nasty.  Strangely, we were allowed to watch the former but not the latter.  Benny Hill? Rising Damp, Are You Being Served? Mind Your Language?  Pretty much every comedy program on TV when I was growing up really, and a lot from the 1980s and 90s as well.

Unpleasant as they may seem to people seeing them for the first time, they captured the spirit of the times.  We shouldn't airbrush what we used to be even if we feel bad about it. 

As for the statue debate, it is nothing short of ridiculous; Captain Cook who was a master adventurer and navigator has been named as one of the objectionable.  Not a politician, not a slave trader or slave owner, but a sailor who may or may not have had some views that are considered unpalatable in 2020.  Robert Peel, is another, albeit more clear cut case and it would be wrong to have history forget about all the good he did - he may have wanted UK to keep the status quo regarding slaves but he was progressive in other ways and the country certainly wouldn't be what it is today had he not lived.  There are so many others, move the statues to museums and create debate around their viewpoints, but destroying them is nothing but criminal (both figuratively and literally). 

• Like 2

So apparently Footballers have been given the ok to drop the Knee before the game and have their name replaced on their shirt so with BLM. 

Kudos to the FA

Should go down well at Millwall.  

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snippets from The Guardian rolling feed.

Some Far Right groups are still expected to be present on Saturday in London, discussions on their online forums among football gangs has turned to mobilising in other cities and towns including Leeds, Bristol and Sunderland, against perceived threats to contested historical monuments. In Poole, locals have prevented the authorities removing a statue of the founder of the Boy Scout movement, Robert Baden-Powell.

Hope Not hate warned of a particular potential flashpoint on Saturday in Leeds, where football groups and the Far Right have more traditionally been more interwined than elsewhere, as well as in towns such as Shrewsbury, which is home to a Clive of India statue as well as the English Border Front, a football hooligan firm of the League One club Shrewsbury Town.

10 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

No, but apart from that he didn't do very well as Britain's last Viceroy to India. How many perished because of partition?

It seems , he was not too popular with the Irish .

What a watery grave ...

Edited by elliss
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

So apparently Footballers have been given the ok to drop the Knee before the game and have their name replaced on their shirt so with BLM. 

Kudos to the FA

Should go down well at Millwall.  

Providing any that object are allowed to do so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Snippets from The Guardian rolling feed.

Some Far Right groups are still expected to be present on Saturday in London, discussions on their online forums among football gangs has turned to mobilising in other cities and towns including Leeds, Bristol and Sunderland, against perceived threats to contested historical monuments. In Poole, locals have prevented the authorities removing a statue of the founder of the Boy Scout movement, Robert Baden-Powell.

Hope Not hate warned of a particular potential flashpoint on Saturday in Leeds, where football groups and the Far Right have more traditionally been more interwined than elsewhere, as well as in towns such as Shrewsbury, which is home to a Clive of India statue as well as the English Border Front, a football hooligan firm of the League One club Shrewsbury Town.

The right wing are mobilising their forces.

Will Farrage or Tommy be in the vanguard?

Highly unlikely.

• Sad 3