Portable Aircon

sucher

my experience of them is that they are no better than a fan.  The ones that you can put ice in are marginally better, but the ice soon goes and then its back to the fan again. Not worth the money in my view. One of the bigger fans that atomises water is much better at cooling, but not really suitable for inside use, but good on the porch or veranda. 

• Thanks 1

The large ones you have to set properly with venting pipes when you have done that there not really portable, as Fred said there not cheap either 24,000 I paid for ours.

We have 2000 baht job which my Mrs takes to work and stay in markets, IMHO it's better than a fan but you need bucket loafs of ice at hand.

If you're thinking of using one at home you can if you sit right next to it with an ice supplies personally I would say forget it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I bought a Clarté fan with a tray in the back for water and ice ( no vent ), swear it makes the room warmer !!

Mil got given a Natural portable air con,( about 6,000 baht on Lazada ), uses no ice or water but does have an 8” exhaust pipe. It’s okay, slightly more noisy than a fan but they have it in a large room and doesn’t cool anything unless you are in front of it.

IMHO it’s a proper fixed air con or a good quality fan , I think the ones Inbetween are not worth the money.

I have the Hatari version, with the blue freezer blocks to put in the back. If you fill it with water, the unit is supposed to cool the room by the latent heat of evaporation method. All it seems to do is raise the humidity. As one other said, it's now in the spare room, gathering dust together with the automatic vaccuum cleaner (Tim Vine joke! )

• Like 1

I think posters are replying with answers about Air coolers,

the ones where you put ice in.

the OP is asking about portable Air/con,the air coolers are

not very good,and create work, changing the water,freezing 

the ice block,and emptying the water , I have seen portable

A/C at Makro,and other big electrical retailers may have them,

if i remember correctly 8,000 Baht,they will work much better

than air cooler

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think posters are replying with answers about Air coolers,

the ones where you put ice in.

the OP is asking about portable Air/con,the air coolers are

not very good,and create work, changing the water,freezing 

the ice block,and emptying the water , I have seen portable

A/C at Makro,and other big electrical retailers may have them,

if i remember correctly 8,000 Baht,they will work much better

than air cooler

regards worgeordie

I think you'll find that a portable AIR CON will be more than 8k bht the one I got was 20k+. And that was some time ago 15 years +. If it's an Aircon it needs a pipe to get rid of the hot air from the condenser. That as other have said has to be vented out of the room through a window or the likes. No pipe it's not an Air con. I was lucky with my set up as I had those vented slit windows I took a few out and with a bit of making up managed to vent through that. Even thought I fitted it correctly (IT WAS PRETTY MUCH USLESS).

What you have to remember is that the ones you see will feel cooler when it's in Makro or the likes. As it will be pumping through cool air to start with that way it feels fresher. But isn't any good when in a warm room trying to cool it off.

Cheaper to get the real thing in the first place. I have just changed one of mine for a 13k BTU LG one in one of the bedrooms cost was 14k fitted. Works great also a lot cheaper to run. My portable one cost a small fortune to run. And as I tried to point out USELESS.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

What you have to remember is that the ones you see will feel cooler when it's in Makro or the likes. As it will be pumping through cool air to start with that way it feels fresher. But isn't any good when in a warm room trying to cool it off.

Yup, I fell for that in Robinson’s !!, felt great in the shop, back in the room.....doh !!

Now when I pass these things on display I stop in front and have a little chuckle at my own naivety ????

worgeordie is correct 

I am considering a Air conditioner. I believe Air coolers not work well in a humid Environment. I have a small Office Room 2x2 Meters. So I am thinking of a small, maybe 6000 BTU Unit. Because the Place is so tiny I think it might work 

Thanks for now and I will report if I buy one. 

• Like 1

OP ;  i used a brand new ' Accord Prevail '  brand portable aircon in a bungalow up country.

I purchased it from Thai Watsadu and it was around 9,000 baht. 12,000 BTU

I ran the heat vent / external hose out through a window and they provide the plastic blocking strip that you can use and install in a slide window if needed. Noise level is obviously more than an installed aircon however it is not overly too noisy, I believe it ran at around 53db. The room had tinted windows on every side and it was about 30sqm.  

The room did get alot of sun from midday onward .... I turn the air con on as needed and it did cool the room down considerably.  So the answer to your question :  yes they do work. 

image.png.e8c4d0dd548d66f0f382b1a9e46915c5.png

Edited by steven100

On 6/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, sucher said:

Hi there 

Has anyone Experience with a Portable / Mobile Airconditioner? Especially the Noise Factor. Thanks. 

Yes, avoid at all costs, I purchased one about 3 years back, against my better judgement from HomePro, it seemed to work well there and was cold, however when we got it home, it's a different story, it only blows hot air, like a fan and it is very noisy, wife sold it to the sister-in-law after a about 12 months later for half the price as it was sitting there collecting dust.

It's all a trick, they put them close to their air conditioners where its cold and of course you think it's blowing cold air from within the unit, but it's not, it is blowing the cold air from the cold air circulating from the air conditioners within the store.

Buy an air conditioner and be done with it, if you want to test my madness, go into a store, get one of their pedestal  fans turn it on and see how cold the air is, same thing as buying one of those portable noisy "air coolers" they are not portable air conditioners at all and when you take them out of the store you will be disappointed.

With an air conditioner you cool the room, then turn the fan on and turn the air conditioner off and the room will stay cool for hours on hours, say up to 4 hours and that saves you on electricity costs, we turn our on before bed for half an hour, then off and turn the fan on which blows the cool air in the room around.

Up to you and good luck 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

I have one at home in Australia. Dimplex 4.4kw reverse cycle. Cools and heats the 50sqm living area with 3m ceilings no problem at all. I bought it on Ebay for $150 it was only 12 months old . It is slightly noisy but not overly have owned several over the years and its probably the quietest i have had. Input power is 1600w so its relatively economical to run.