May 2020 Tourist Arrivals - Down 99.981%

On 6/14/2020 at 4:29 PM, Captain Monday said:

Interesting numbers. Is there a link? Maybe one of those poorly written articles, no tourists should have been admitted. 

Malaysian = 351

Lao = 95               

Japanese = 22

Philippines = 13

Singapore = 10

Myanmar = 9

Cambodian = 7

Vietnam = 4

Ukraine = 4

Chinese = 1

Indonesian = 1

Indian = 1

Malaysian = 351 Lao = 95  9 from Myanmar. Truck Divers?

22 Japanese, plant managers? Other small numbers of Diplomats, experts and those allowed 

by Minsterial decree.

None of these were tourists.

Malaysians = probably truck drivers

Lao = truck drivers

Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian = diplomats or work permit holders

Filipino = work permit holders/diplomats

Japanese = work permit holders

Myanmar = truck drivers

Maybe a number of these arrivals are Thais living abroad who didn't have Thai passports. So they got stamped in on their foreign passports, but were only allowed to come because they are Thai. Just a guess, of course.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, drbeach said:

None of these were tourists.

Malaysians = probably truck drivers

Lao = truck drivers

Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian = diplomats or work permit holders

Filipino = work permit holders/diplomats

Japanese = work permit holders

Myanmar = truck drivers

Diplomates, no, they are a whole different classification.

Work permit holders, yes and no. If they enter with a valid work permit, then they fall in any of the non-() classification and are as such not counted as a tourist. That said, we live in extreme times. A few Japanese excutives could have been outside Thailand long enough for their visa to expire and are allowed in on a tourist Visa which they can convert back to a Non-O.

Truck drivers, absolutely yes, but they still entered the Kingdom as tourists and as such are counted as tourists. 

51 minutes ago, drbeach said:

How can 66000 Thais have left the Kingdom? To go where? Foreigners aren't allowed to enter most countries now. I don't believe this figure whatsoever.

Many countries, including my home country, have excluded foreigners who are legal residents from their entry ban. A Thai citizen who e.g. works or studies in my country could have entered all along. The same applies to foreign family members of citizens and legal residents.

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Maybe a number of these arrivals are Thais living abroad who didn't have Thai passports. So they got stamped in on their foreign passports, but were only allowed to come because they are Thai. Just a guess, of course.

Actually a very good and interesting guess.

A Thai with an expired Thai passport entering on a US passport.  Possible. 

57 minutes ago, drbeach said:

How can 66000 Thais have left the Kingdom? To go where? Foreigners aren't allowed to enter most countries now. I don't believe this figure whatsoever.

Immigration are just cattle counters, so the numbers are correct.

Departures are not separated by classification, so I am just guessing, but the 66,000 departing Thais are probably air crews. 

20 hours ago, Caldera said:

That may have been done for admin purposes, but I doubt it. Thai nationals are listed separately and a Thai national is a Thai national whether they have a passport or not.

It has often been said that if Thais can come back why not some foreigners, as if it was some kind of discrimination. That is far from the case, Thai nationals have the "right of return" which is embedded in various international agreements, the government cannot prevent them returning even if they wanted. In the case of Shemima Begum, the UK government had to revoke citizenship to remove the "right of return".