OPINION: Thailand Tourism recovery- are we doing enough?

webfact

OPINION: Thailand Tourism recovery- are we doing enough?
by Andrew J Wood

AJWood.jpg
Andrew Wood taking a close look 

BANGKOK: The wheels of Thailand’s tourism industry are slowly turning. Travel and tourism is starting to move again.

Weekends in Hua Hin hotels for instance are close to capacity (with some resorts experiencing 90% occupancy and some even higher). Being close to Bangkok; the weather, air quality and the fact that you can drive from the metropolis definitely help. 

But two out of seven days are not enough and our islands, away from Bangkok are suffering the most. Domestically they receive very few guests and are EXTREMELY reliant on international travellers.

International flights into Thailand are currently not allowed for tourists. The only flights in are carrying repatriated Thai nationals or those with jobs here and holding a work permit or are invited government guests. All have to enter 14 days of quarantine on arrival. 

We need international arrivals to support our tourism industry but they will not travel without flights and on arrival having to spend 2 weeks in quarantine. We cannot survive on domestic tourism alone. Last year Thailand welcomed 39.8 million guests. 

We are asking for your support. To all our industry friends and professionals we ask you to talk about what our industry decision makers, government and tourism agency/ association colleagues can do to help restart flights. We need to reopen our skies.

We are grateful for the Thai government’s leadership in controlling COVID-19. Thailand was recently ranked second in the Global COVID-19 Recovery Index after Australia, and is first in Asia in the same index

Thailand is regarded as a leading light, a flagship of Asia tourism. Thailand’s tourism industry needs flights to recover and, in turn, protect valuable jobs. Opening up a dialogue to help make it more accessible for foreign visitors to travel to Thailand is vital. 

The industry requests the help from Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn and Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn. PM Prayut Chan-ocha announced that international travel is possible on a bilateral basis. No further details however have been released.

The Thai Government has done an excellent job in controlling the coronavirus pandemic with only 3,135 infections and just 58 deaths. They are to be congratulated. It is encouraging to note that Thailand has logged no new local Covid-19 infections for the past 21 days. As we move into the recovery phase we need to now restart international flights into and out of Thailand. 

Without air lift, recovery for some businesses will simply not happen. 1000 tourists, which is the maximum figure per day the government are suggesting, will in our opinion be too few to support the tourism industry. 

Thailand’s tourism industry, is a major employer, which directly and indirectly affects millions. For almost two decades, the industry has been providing employment for 1-in-10 of all workers here. 

The peripheral grey market that supports tourism has also been widely affected. The street vendors for instance and other low paid informal workers struggle daily.

It is important to all business owners to keep our valued employees and maintain trust with them. Please help support the tourism industry’s call to allow international tourists to once again revisit these shores. 

In your webinars and zoom meetings; in your social media interactions and discussions and industry meetings, please ensure that your opinion on restarting international flights and protecting tourism jobs are made known. 

Andrew J Wood was born in Yorkshire England, he is a professional hotelier, Skalleague and travel writer. Andrew has 48 years of hospitality and travel experience. He is a hotel graduate of Napier University, Edinburgh. Andrew is a past Director of Skål International (SI), National President SI Thailand and is currently President of SI Bangkok and a VP of both SI Thailand and SI Asia. He is a regular guest lecturer at various Universities in Thailand including Assumption University's Hospitality School and the Japan Hotel School in Tokyo. 

-- 2020-06-16

• Haha 2

Mate, you came to the wrong place with a very valid point.

Unless you are seeking out a lot of curmudgeons who'll p!ss all over anything positive ref. Thailand, most of whom aren't even in Thailand or who can't afford to be here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well written cry from the wilderness but not much in the way of help.

Forgetting spidermikes rave (got out the wrong side this morning) it is a real dilemna for all.

Talking about International travel here 

Open too soon & all the good work can be reversed or worse, take NZ as a model all fixed internally but do they open for business internationally ,,,,of course not yet & when they do will be with caution.

First step open up everything intenally for 6 weeks & suck it & see.

I know, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

• Like 2

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

I think Anutin is right.

Who would want scruffy, smelly people

in your home, or in your country with

no dosh or manners, and often  act

as if they were superior to Thais.

Thailand does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doing enough of what? 

The wrong thing - yes Sir, confirmed. Just ask all those expert ignorants like Anutin who deserves a medal for his loose mouth which is possibly not always connected to a) his brain or b) common sense. 

His statements went viral worldwide and translated into various European languages. But yeah, the quality tourism stream of China will cover this and more - good luck to all of you guys in the hospitality business; your health minister fç%"*ç%d up nicely - and not only once! 

• Like 1

I am in UK but I holiday in Thailand once, sometimes twice a year - was also thinking of buying a condo and spending retirement there.

I had flights and hotel booked for May which didn't happen - still waiting for money back from Travel agent and Thai Airways.

I have hotel booked for October as I thought things would have been sorted by then and was also going to book for visit in April 2021.

I appreciate that there are serious health consideration to any reopening and Thailand appears to have done well with containing the spread of the virus (unlike the UK clowns) but the way things are going I now realise I will have to look elsewhere.

What will need to happen in Thailand before they welcome back international tourists and not just the Chinese who caused the problem and continue to lie about it's severity, infection and death rates?

10 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Tough timeS for hotels ay.  Can't say I  have much sympathy for them.  As a regular stayer at a certain hotel in the past they had no compunction about jacking their rates At times even for those registered as regular stayers.  I stopped staying when the breakfast menu was razed by the new kitchen manager.  Enough is enough! 

Thailand tourist industry , deserves to crash .

I have no sympathy for them , and neither does the Thai Government ..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

There is nothing anyone can do until the virus goes away. Thailand has done a amazing job controlling the virus. But virus control and tourism do not mix. 

Pity it mixes in Europe and other countries dependent on tourism.

I thought from the start of this crisis that humanity would have to learn to live with this virus. My thoughts haven't changed.

Countries locked down, health services were improved, testing and track and trace were put in place.

Meanwhile, countries economies were shut for 3 months.

The only ar*#holes who want to keep economies shut are scientists and politicans both who get paid a kings ransom including indexed linked pensions.

The c*#ts couldn't care if the economy is locked down for 10 years, they will still get paid.

55 minutes ago, Elkaydee said:

55 minutes ago, Elkaydee said:

the Chinese who caused the problem and continue to lie about it's severity, infection and death rates?

Based on what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Thailand and actually all of Asia wants more tourists to stay longer, then do like Mexico 

and Central America. No Visas needed, just passports. Good Idea that will never happen

because of the, money generated by the Visa industry.  Sad but true.

Geezer

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'll continue doing what I've done for years: let everyone know they are supporting usurpers by coming to an overbuilt, dirty, gnawed tourist trap full of Chinese.

Until the army steps down and the tourist demographic changes, don't bother. Find a destination in a democratic country closer to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

There is nothing anyone can do until the virus goes away. Thailand has done a amazing job controlling the virus. But virus control and tourism do not mix. 

I suggest you do some reading on this type of virus and pandemic; history shows this isn’t going away. The situation will change, viruses mutate, people build immunity, treatment or antivirus are developed; but changes can take years. With the combination of these changes the virus becomes less deadly, until a mutation comes around that we are less resistant to like the H1N1 virus did, causing multiple pandemics. It appears that this virus has spread to far to be stopped, but it doesn’t appear to be the end of the world, just history repeating itself.