Spain may quarantine UK visitors, minister tells BBC

snoop1130

Spain may quarantine UK visitors, minister tells BBC

By Inti Landauro and Ingrid Melander

2020-06-16T081714Z_2_LYNXMPEG5F0ES_RTROPTP_4_TRADE-WTO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Spanish Foreign Minister Arancha Gonzalez Laya reacts during an interview with Reuters at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Madrid, Spain May 28, 2020. REUTERS/Susana Vera/

MADRID (Reuters) - Spain is considering imposing a quarantine on British travellers when it reopens its borders next week, the foreign minister said, in response to a similar policy at London's end.

Arancha Gonzalez Laya told the BBC she hoped Britain would lift its restriction, making a reciprocal Spanish one unnecessary.

"We will be in a dialogue with the UK to see whether or not we should be introducing reciprocity as they have different measures than the rest of the European Union," she said in an advance excerpt from current affairs programme HARDtalk.

Britain, with more than 41,000 documented coronavirus-linked deaths, and Spain, with more than 27,000, have been two of the countries hardest hit by the pandemic.

Both, along with other European countries, are now easing lockdown restrictions, including border closures.

Spanish officials gave no mention of any quarantine curbs on Sunday, when the government moved forward the date for allowing European visitors back into the country to June 21 from July 1.

In recent weeks, Spain has caused confusion in neighbouring countries and exasperation in the travel industry by repeatedly changing the date and conditions for lifting the ban on foreign visitors it imposed in mid-March.

"I still don't know what I will do with my staff and it's June 16," Jorge Marichal, CEO of Canary Islands hotel group Inversiones Marylanza, said at a business event.

"We cannot work this way."

Spain counts on tourism for about 12 percent of its economy and more than one in eight jobs, making it essential to try and salvage some of the summer holiday season.

Britain's Finance Minister Rishi Sunak said on Sunday the quarantine was among measures it would review, saying the government could make changes such as introducing travel corridors with specific countries.

Spain's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-16

3 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Spain is considering imposing a quarantine on British travellers when it reopens its borders next week, the foreign minister said, in response to a similar policy at London's end.

Arancha Gonzalez Laya told the BBC she hoped Britain would lift its restriction, making a reciprocal Spanish one unnecessary.

So quarantine has nothing to do with disease control, but is just a tit-for-tat.

Government start now showing their real colours what covid and the lock downs were about

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Susco said:

So quarantine has nothing to do with disease control, but is just a tit-for-tat.

Government start now showing their real colours what covid and the lock downs were about

Yep. The French imposed a tit-for-tat quarantine on British citizens. So Spain thinks it's a good idea too.

Really gonna go down well with their tourism people who are desperate for the British tourists.

Nothing to do with Covid, public health safety.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

I don't get it, the UK has being trying to leave the EU for 4 years, why would they want to go on holiday

there for?!! They should stay home and fix their Covid-19 first.

"I drink to make other people more interesting".  Ernest Hemingway 

Many people have second homes there.My family included.

23 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Good old UK exceptionalism.

We can do what we want and you have to do what we want.

Yea the UK is one of the hardest hit countries who did poorly and is surprised that when they block others from entering their virus hit country other countries might do the same. Then member on this forum act like the UK is in the right. Nationalism at its best.  ????

16 hours ago, david555 said:

So when returning to U.K. you must count in 14 days quarantaine..?

And possible when going to E.U. example also 14 days quarantaine for Spain and / or France if they follow the U.K. quarantaine movement as U.K. instated now....

Now...holliday fun reached another  dimension ????

I know, ..the whole Sh#t show is starting to wind me up now.

• Like 1