Retirement extension Bangkok

Just got back from Chaeng Wattana myself. Just to add that getting a re-entry permit (valid for the length of the the extension) is now super quick. I took a number first, then rushed down to get a copy of the newly issued extension (I had copies of the other required passport pages already) and got back to see my number called already. So I got processed straight away and only a 10 min wait to get the passport back. Easy peasy!

• Like 2

Out of interest, did you just provide one copy of all your documents, and did you have to provide passport photos?

And will they still accept a Google map?

I was there yesterday to get a letter / request to get my Police record check (mandatory for nationals from 'dubious' countries, such as South Africa) - they took 1 hour 40 minutes to type up and sign the request, from the time I saw the section L officer. So on Friday off to Police Clearance Centre for fingerprints.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Out of interest, did you just provide one copy of all your documents, and did you have to provide passport photos?

And will they still accept a Google map?

Yes only one copy required in Bangkok.  And yes they accepted a google map.  I had route from nearest police station this time.  Only one photo on back of form TM.7

Were you seeking an extension of stay for an 'O' visa or an "O-A' visa?  With respect to the bank documents, you only had to make a copy of your bank book for the last year?  Nothing from the bank? All in all, very good news and the new system seems very efficient.  Thank you for your  report.

OMG how different provinces work when it comes to immigration I did my extension of Stay Tuesday I won’t say anything as I have to go back next Tuesday to pick it up this has been the norm for the last three / four years before then it took an hour what I will say that there were no more than 30 people at the IO I got there at 0945 left at 14.30 but as I say I don’t want to jeopardise my picking up my passport with my renewed E of  S next Tuesday I will be giving my IO review on Wednesday 24 June ☹️

18 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Were you seeking an extension of stay for an 'O' visa or an "O-A' visa?  With respect to the bank documents, you only had to make a copy of your bank book for the last year?  Nothing from the bank? All in all, very good news and the new system seems very efficient.  Thank you for your  report.

Another retirement extension from original O visa decades ago.  Copy of bank book and one year computer statement of account from bank (not all transactions were on passbook and did not update during Covid).  Should also have had bank letter of account ownership but obtained downstairs in 5 minutes.

3 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Can the Bank statement/letter be obtained day prior to CW application or is it a must same day?
Is prior three month statement ok or 1 year account total?

Thanks, I go CW tomorrow 

I was using income so one year of 65k deposits each month was required - for 800k method just a letter of account balance for last two months and passbook should do.  Do not believe letter has to be same day but do believe they are strict on same day account book update.  They made copy of that page themselves.  But most banks have branch below CW immigration and know what is required and very fast to process - did my update/letter as stood at counter in about 3 minutes at cost of 100 baht (BBL).

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

for 800k method just a letter of account balance for last two months and passbook should do.

Don't you need a full year statement now showing balances following the yearly 800k/400k limits and time windows to the day? The simpler two months 800k rule was changed January last year I think?

8 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Don't you need a full year statement now showing balances following the yearly 800k/400k limits and time windows to the day? The simpler two months 800k rule was changed January last year I think?

You are probably right - although a complete passbook/copy would also have that information.  

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are probably right - although a complete passbook/copy would also have that information.  

I gave them a copy of my passbook for the last 13 months, no problems (CW, retirement extension based on bank account).

38 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Some IOs now insist on this additional 12 month bank-statement, even if you updated your bankbook regularly and the info is identical to the 12 month bank-statement.

Note: The reason for the 12 month bank-statement is that some banks 'consolidate' the transactions you made when not updating the bankbook regularly, and IO thus not being able to check whether you slipped under the 800K/400K tressholds during those consolidated periods.

But once again the odd exception has triggered a new requirement imposed on everybody.

22 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Just got back from Chaeng Wattana myself. Just to add that getting a re-entry permit (valid for the length of the the extension) is now super quick. I took a number first, then rushed down to get a copy of the newly issued extension (I had copies of the other required passport pages already) and got back to see my number called already. So I got processed straight away and only a 10 min wait to get the passport back. Easy peasy!

I ceased getting re-entry permits at CW because normally, it took more than an hour whereas at both airports: DMK & BKK, it never took longer than 20 minutes. Both single and multiple entry available, same price.

Good to see CW has sped the process up.  I hope it lasts post-Covid.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Maybe some good news for holders of O-A retirement visas. My American friends O-A visa expired in March but immigration has issued him with a 12 month stamp which allows him to stay until February 2021. The secret is to leave the country a few days before the o-A visa expires and come back to Thailand just before the Visa expires and you will be issued with a 12 month stamp. At first I was worried for him, as I was not aware of this facility and I have been living here for 13 years. He has been assured that this is correct and he does not have any overstay worries. My question to Ubon Joe and some of the other more experienced and knowledgeable guys here is that, is he correct in not being worried? 

4 minutes ago, Jerome Travels said:

Maybe some good news for holders of O-A retirement visas. My American friends O-A visa expired in March but immigration has issued him with a 12 month stamp which allows him to stay until February 2021. The secret is to leave the country a few days before the o-A visa expires and come back to Thailand just before the Visa expires and you will be issued with a 12 month stamp. At first I was worried for him, as I was not aware of this facility and I have been living here for 13 years. He has been assured that this is correct and he does not have any overstay worries. My question to Ubon Joe and some of the other more experienced and knowledgeable guys here is that, is he correct in not being worried? 

That is exactly how most people use that visa - any entry during the 12 month validity of visa gets a one year permitted to stay stamp.  So a new entry near expiration allows almost a two year stay.  That was the advantage of such a visa.  Of course now you can not exit/return on any visa and that visa requires medical insurance to extend in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is exactly how most people use that visa - any entry during the 12 month validity of visa gets a one year permitted to stay stamp.  So a new entry near expiration allows almost a two year stay.  That was the advantage of such a visa.  Of course now you can not exit/return on any visa and that visa requires medical insurance to extend in Thailand.

@Jerome Travels > Also your friend should be aware that during the 1-year Visa validity of his Non Imm O-A Visa, he can enter/exit Thailand as he pleases because the Non Imm O-A Visa is MultipleEntry.

However, during the 2nd year. which the entry before expiry of the Non Imm O-A Visa validity has provided him, he will need a Re-Entry Permit when exiting and re-entering Thailand, this in order to keep the permission to stay for that 2nd period alive.

2 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

Can the Bank statement/letter be obtained day prior to CW application or is it a must same day?
Is prior three month statement ok or 1 year account total?

Thanks, I go CW tomorrow 

Can be obtained on a prior day, and a pay in on the day, with an updated passbook is accepted.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Another retirement extension from original O visa decades ago.  Copy of bank book and one year computer statement of account from bank (not all transactions were on passbook and did not update during Covid).  Should also have had bank letter of account ownership but obtained downstairs in 5 minutes.

Lopburi, so you were doing a retirement extension based on monthly foreign funds transfers from abroad.

There was a time, previously, when BKK CW and other offices would have wanted a specific document from your bank listing the details of and confirming each of the 12 different monthly transfers as being foreign in origin.

But it sounds from your recap, like you didn't provide such a bank document and BKK CW Immigration didn't require it?  Just a regular printout from your bank showing all your transaction activity during the prior 12 months. 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 minutes ago, samtam said:

Can be obtained on a prior day, and a pay in on the day, with an updated passbook is accepted.

No pay in should be required if done by teller (or at machine in case of Bangkok Bank) but it might be faster than finding a teller knowing how to do at some banks.  Obviously you can not normally deposit to a fixed deposit account.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lopburi, so you were doing a retirement extension based on monthly foreign funds transfers from abroad.

There was a time, previously, when BKK CW and other offices would have wanted a specific document from your bank listing the details of and confirming each of the 12 different monthly transfers as being foreign in origin.

But it sounds from your recap, like you didn't provide such a bank document and BKK CW Immigration didn't require it?  In the past, IOs were regularly refusing people who showed up with merely printouts of their bank transactions from their online banking.

Yes retirement based on monthly transfers.  And statement was a headquarters bank computer printout (letter size sprocket paper) costing 200 baht.  Officer separated the pages and asked if using deposits and checked them (I did have enough in account for just bankbook however).  

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes retirement based on monthly transfers.  And statement was a headquarters bank computer printout (letter size sprocket paper) costing 200 baht.  Officer separated the pages and asked if using deposits and checked them (I did have enough in account for just bankbook however).  

In the past, people were turned away/rejected when they tried to present just that kind of paperwork. At least for a period after the new monthly foreign deposit rules were launched amid the end of the US/UK income affidavits, it had to be a bank letter specifically and only listing and addressing the 12 monthly foreign transfers and confirming them as foreign in origin.

If I'm understanding you right, your bank printout was of all your activity in the account for the year -- not just the foreign monthly transfers only?

It would seem, if your experience is reflective of what's currently going on, like they've backed off on that original, overly demanding approach.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I see no comment about keeping the money in the bank for 3 months after 800000 retirement visa approved or retaining 400000 for the rest of the year in these comments.

I did my renewal yesterday and was given a form with a date in 3 months to come back to immigration to show that monies had not dropped below the 800000 I also got picked up or my partner did for not reporting with in 24 hours to them after coming back from an over seas trip 3 times to confirm that I am still living at the same address fined 800 baht only not 3 times 800 not a big problem. My partner will remember when we both go back to N.Z. in the future to report.

6 minutes ago, whiteman said:

I did my renewal yesterday and was given a form with a date in 3 months to come back to immigration to show that monies had not dropped below the 800000 I also got picked up or my partner did for not reporting with in 24 hours to them after coming back from an over seas trip 3 times to confirm that I am still living at the same address fined 800 baht only not 3 times 800 not a big problem. My partner will remember when we both go back to N.Z. in the future to report.

What Immigration office?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whiteman said:

I see no comment about keeping the money in the bank for 3 months after 800000 retirement visa approved or retaining 400000 for the rest of the year in these comments.

Where?  My extension was based on income but do not believe Bangkok issues such a form or requests return for 800k method.  There also was no check or mention of TM-30 this year AFAIK (they could have on computer screen to match TM.7 however).  But they did not ask for any receipt as was the case in 2019.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

So you did the income method with just bank statement showing the money coming in. Lucky you! Here in the sticks (( Kalasin) the IO wanted proof of source of that money. I had the bank letter which also listed and confirmed the origin of the foreign transfers in. No, not enough and no, not even a UK bank internet print off showing it going out to BBL, but proof of who / what was paying me in the UK. Told put 400k in or get another non O visa from Savanakhet, we can't help you. This was a marriage based non O and I was hoping for a year's extension, first one on this visa ( I've had and extended for a year Non O's in the past) apart from the 60 day extension to the 90 day permission from the visa on entry

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

So you did the income method with just bank statement showing the money coming in. Lucky you! Here in the sticks (( Kalasin) the IO wanted proof of source of that money. I had the bank letter which also listed and confirmed the origin of the foreign transfers in. No, not enough and no, not even a UK bank internet print off showing it going out to BBL, but proof of who / what was paying me in the UK. 

That's above and beyond by almost any standard. But in the past, even BKK CW wanted a specific letter from the recipient Thai bank listing and confirming each of the 12 monthly transfers and verifying that they were all foreign in origin.  But BKK CW never took it a step further in terms of demanding any info about the specific source(s) of the transfers and documents from those origins.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's above and beyond by almost any standard. But in the past, even BKK CW wanted a specific letter from the recipient Thai bank listing and confirming each of the 12 monthly transfers and verifying that they were all foreign in origin.  But BKK CW never took it a step further in terms of demanding any info about the specific source(s) of the transfers and documents from those origins.

Yes, and at some IOs when applying for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O or O-A Visa, using the monthly-income transfer method or the Embassy issued income statement, they ONLY accept a pension-statement as source of the foreign-income.  So if you do not have such a pension-statement the only method left to meet the financial requirements at these IOs is to make use of the money-in-bank method.