Stating Income On Arrival Card: Impact On Visa Changes?

For several years now, people arriving in Thailand have been asked to stipulate their personal income on the white arrival-departure card (I believe this started with the Thaksin administration).

That information is no doubt being used by the government to judge the "quality" of farangs entering the Kingdom. Accordingly, it may also have an impact on visa rules and regulations.....raising the bar on income requirements to remain in the Kingdom.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think most people do not tell the truth with regard to this. Why? Because income is a personal matter and most farangs don't like being asked that question.

Given human nature and a desire to appear richer than we actually are, I think most of us check an income level that is much higher than our actual income level.

If I am correct, government authorities that examine the arrival-departure cards for "income" mistakenly think that most of the visitors have more money than they actually have.

What does this have to do with visas? It might compel them to "raise the bar" on visa rules and regulations.

I wonder what would happen to the visa rules and regulations (the bar) if we all checked "no income." Just a thought. I have never read any other post about this.

Never filled that one. none of their business. never been asked a question about it

JR Texas: Thanks for the input. Not sure how representative your answers are. If representative, then the government is getting the impression that too many poor farangs are entering Thailand. What is clear is that the question is offensive and intrusive and the answers given are inaccurate. I can think of no other sampling tool that they are using to assess the income of foreigners entering Thailand.

:o ...but on the front, bottom right, and again at the top of the reverse of the arrival TM6 (new form) it clearly states, in bold type,"For non-Thai Resident Only".

So, for most TV Members, (living here on extended visas makes us resident - not Permanent Residents, to avoid misleading and attracting adverse comment - and allows use of the Residents of Thailand queue at the airport) there is nothing to fill in!

:o ...but on the front, bottom right, and again at the top of the reverse of the arrival TM6 (new form) it clearly states, in bold type,"For non-Thai Resident Only".

So, for most TV Members, (living here on extended visas makes us resident - not Permanent Residents, to avoid misleading and attracting adverse comment - and allows use of the Residents of Thailand queue at the airport) there is nothing to fill in!

Interesting..I always go through the, I thought it was Thai Passports' queue..my wife takes me and have never had a problem. Is that the same as Residents of Thailand queue..have I mis-remembered the queue name or is there a third queue...also have never filled in the money bit

Its nobody else's business except mine. I've never filled that question in, and have never been asked about it. If I were asked, my response would be, I'm not American, I don't earn dollars, I work here (legally) I earn Baht!

G

Its nobody else's business except mine. I've never filled that question in, and have never been asked about it. If I were asked, my response would be, I'm not American, I don't earn dollars, I work here (legally) I earn Baht!

G

Very clever indeed. It might work in Thailand but in Japan on their card, if you don't reply to the questions you don't get a stamp, even permanat resident must answer the questions each time. I would also not try the clever answer to a Japanese immigration officer as you might spend more time than you planned in one of their offices.

Attitudes like yours do not help at all.

It's interesting, from a cultural aspect, to read all the responses saying "none of their business" or "it's my personal business". Of course you are all absolutely correct it is nobody's business apart from you and your employer/pension fund manager. Maybe I'm an oddity (why the maybe Phil? :D ) but if somebody asks me how much I earn I tell them straight. I'm proud of what I earn as a guy who left school with virtually nothing, never went to university I'm doing OK and have spent a large proportion of my life being paid to work in such locations as Thailand. Oh well seems I'm odder than I thought. :D

btw before you ask, my candid approach does not stretch to posting the info on an internet forum. :D

Sorry just realised this bit is :o

G

Very clever indeed. It might work in Thailand but in Japan on their card, if you don't reply to the questions you don't get a stamp, even permanat resident must answer the questions each time. I would also not try the clever answer to a Japanese immigration officer as you might spend more time than you planned in one of their offices.

Attitudes like yours do not help at all.

I'm sorry you took offence at my post - it wasn't meant that way at all. I was just trying to point out that there isn't a problem. I'm not the only one on here who has said they haven't been asked if they've left questions blank. So, I'm not sure what my attitude isn't helping . . . .

This seems to go against everything in this post but I arrived in BKK via the new airport a few days ago and accidentaly filled out the whole card ( departure and arrival) before I realized my mistake and no where did it ask me about income nor was i asked by immigration. I was on TV.

This seems to go against everything in this post but I arrived in BKK via the new airport a few days ago and accidentaly filled out the whole card ( departure and arrival) before I realized my mistake and no where did it ask me about income nor was i asked by immigration. I was on TV.

Its on the back of the TM7 somewhere near profession..

• 10 months later...

first visit to Thailand? yes/no

scheduled or charter flight?

tour group or by yourself

staying in house, hotel, hostel, etc?

purpose of visit

income level

profession

city/state of residence

country of residence

what city you came from

Next city you are going to

Probably one or two more that I cannot remember.

It should be handed out during the flight. Different airlines, different procedures as to when. Best when at at the beginning of flight.

Sometimes they forget, or are out, and they do not even give them out on the flight.

Edited by jstumbo

Never filled that one. none of their business. never been asked a question about it

JR Texas: Thanks for the input. Not sure how representative your answers are. If representative, then the government is getting the impression that too many poor farangs are entering Thailand. What is clear is that the question is offensive and intrusive and the answers given are inaccurate. I can think of no other sampling tool that they are using to assess the income of foreigners entering Thailand.

Well, honestly, who cares what the Thai government's impression is and besides it's a privacy issue as echoed in some of the previous posts. What's clear is that if tourists weren't able to travel to Thailand (or wherever) due to monetary constraints, then it would be a moot point.

Ciao

Mike

The questions are merely TAT's feeble attempts at trying to get some demographic data on tourists. That is why residents are not asked to answer the questions.

I bet they have given up long ago trying to compile the data, if they even ever tried.

TH

Place an "X" in the "no income" box. This form is used for immigration purposes only as it is not used as in Australia for immigration, customs and quarantine purposes where it is a legal document and must be filled in correctly.