Anyone opened a bank account recently without a work permit?

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

Where are you located..the more specific, the better answer you will get.  Every city seems to have one or two BBL branches that accommodate foreigners.  Yes, Catch 22 is more common than a soi dog, here.  Lost count of how many blobs I have told that my visa has "employment prohibited," stamped on it, so there is zero chance of me holding a WP.  They don't understand that there are many younger looking people that are in various forms of retirement.  TMB is the one that was most stubborn about WP...might explain their poor performance, overall.  OTOH, expect someone to chime in with multiple TMB accounts..

Thanks for your reply. I'm located in Samuth Prakarn/Bangkok.

3 minutes ago, AlexxT said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm located in Samuth Prakarn/Bangkok.

Not familiar with that specific area.  I would start at your local immigration office and walk into the closest branch of krungsri, BBL, etc..  the best deal right now is 1.5% fixed for 1 year, no taxes, must be 55+, up to 1.5 million...that is at CIMB..but it is trickier to get a required book update on FD at CIMB, which I did by adding a 6 month 10,000 THB fd on the day of my extension.  The young immigration officer didn't like it, but approved it.  Krungsri MTD account is very straightforward, but now paying 1.15%...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

They have to be a member of the deposit insurance agency.  There is a specific list, make no mistake.  https://www.baac.or.th/baac_en/

Not approved..

Thanks for that info.

I'd stick to the major banks anyway, likely Bangkok Bank or SCB. My wife has accounts at SCB so theoretically it should be the easiest thing in the world to get an account at that branch, but all depends on the manager. Bangkok Bank certainly looks easiest.

12 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Before the covid lock down, I opened an account at Krungsri bank in Central Pattaya. They only checked my passport. Did not even check my address or lease. 

Did you have a long stay visa?  Were you able to get the better MaeTee Dee (sp) account.. They would only give a friend the very basic one.. 

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Did you have a long stay visa?  Were you able to get the better MaeTee Dee (sp) account.. They would only give a friend the very basic one.. 

I have a retirement extension. Before the Krungsri account that I opened few days before Covid lockdown, I also opened another account in Bangkok Bank (Jomtian near Rompho market on 2nd road) in 2018. Same with a retirement extension and a lease. They pulled out in their terminal  my old information from a Bangkok Bank account that I opened around 2008 at Bangkok (near Sukumvit Soi 10) using a tourist visa. Bottom line, recently I have not opened any account with a tourist visa but opened one at Krungsri bank using retirmenet extension few days before Covid lockdown and two years ago at Bangkok bank.

4 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

I have a retirement extension. Before the Krungsri account that I opened few days before Covid lockdown, I also opened another account in Bangkok Bank (Jomtian near Rompho market on 2nd road) in 2018. Same with a retirement extension and a lease. They pulled out in their terminal  my old information from a Bangkok Bank account that I opened around 2008 at Bangkok (near Sukumvit Soi 10) using a tourist visa. Bottom line, recently I have not opened any account with a tourist visa but opened one at Krungsri bank using retirmenet extension few days before Covid lockdown and two years ago at Bangkok bank.

But what account did krungsri give you..the better one pays about double interest..

On 6/20/2020 at 2:57 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

It's getting more difficult but there probably are some still out there, as said may just depend on the branch.

I was looking for an acc 2 years back most wanted a WP or a yellow book, I had neither. Eventually Krung Thai let me open one with my wife just being put down as a type of sponsor.

One time you could open a bank account with a tourist visa, last time I tried, years back now, even the four star with me couldn't get around a work permit

On 6/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, bkk6060 said:

Oh really.

Just curious why you came in on Visa exempt if you have a retirement Visa?

If you read my scribblings, I came in on a visa exempt, then transferred in 800K to be able to convert my exempt to a retirement visa.

Well if you are anywhere near by down south - I watched a livestream of "Land of Smiles Thailand" youtube channel (Simon and Mem) a couple of months ago. They will help you to open a bank account even on Visa exempt, for a fee of 3,000 baht. Mem obviously has an arrangement with one of the local banks. Don't know which bank, but if all else fails then worth considering. 

1 minute ago, Tuvoc said:

Well if you are anywhere near by down south - I watched a livestream of "Land of Smiles Thailand" youtube channel (Simon and Mem) a couple of months ago. They will help you to open a bank account even on Visa exempt, for a fee of 3,000 baht. Mem obviously has an arrangement with one of the local banks. Don't know which bank, but if all else fails then worth considering. 

Worth contacting them to ask if you are interested. I don't know the practicalities of having an account outside the area you live in ?

1 minute ago, Tuvoc said:

There was a guy doing it in CM for 2000.  Been several years, too.  Seems like only about one poster came back and had given up, but if you pick the potentially better places to inquire, you should have to go into fewer than six.  No WP is a much better position to be in, than tourist visa.  I might even say I was buying a condo and needed a place to receive funds..sounds believable in the larger cities.

41 minutes ago, moontang said:

Here is the meetaedai rates from Krungsri....not as competitive as they have often been.Screenshot_20200624-125203.png.5f78b33f641a87b47382899260c63b0c.png

I beg to differ....still "highly competitive" considering all savings acct rates have went way down.  Sure, rates were higher in the past as were all rates....times change.

Heck, the MTD core rate of 1% is approx twice as good as many current fixed savings accts now only paying around 0.5% and 4 times better than the typical savings acct now only paying around 0.25%

6 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Worth contacting them to ask if you are interested. I don't know the practicalities of having an account outside the area you live in ?

..you lose a small percentage when you deposit or withdrawal interprovince, but not at atm or online.

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

There was a guy doing it in CM for 2000.  Been several years, too. 

Much closer to Chiang Rai in my case ! Worth me looking him up if I fail myself.

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

..you lose a small percentage when you deposit or withdrawal interprovince, but not at atm or online.

You can get passbook updates anywhere I take it ? And the bank letter that immigration require every year ? 

1 minute ago, Pib said:

I beg to differ....still "highly competitive" considering all savings acct rates have went way down.  Sure, rates were higher in the past as were all rates....times change.

Heck, the MTD core rate of 1% is approx twice as good as many current fixed savings accts now only paying around 0.5% and 4 times better than the typical savings acct now only paying around ...

There were three posted yesterday with rates of 1.15, 1.3, and a fixed at 1.5% no withholding, and usually krungsri doesn't pay that far behind...amazing how many of the expats have been getting around a half percent for decades..

14 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

You can get passbook updates anywhere I take it ? And the bank letter that immigration require every year ? 

Updates, yes.  Out of province letters?  With CIMB 4 years ago, they made me go to my home branch for immigration letter..but last year in BKK, a different branch said they would have done it, but I had already been way downtown.  I don't think the letter states which branch the money is in (the passbook does), but the branch issueing the letter will likely have their address on it.   Having an account very close to IO is valuble.  Every day at the IO, folks are being sent back to the bank for whatever reason, including Somchai having a bad hair day.  So plan accordingly.  People proving their income is a major source of inconsistency, so best to avoid that, too. Twice, they moved the entire IO, and once, the branch was shuttered.  

Edited by moontang

37 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Much closer to Chiang Rai in my case ! Worth me looking him up if I fail myself.

It's on outfit called CM Buddy...they are kind of like a hybrid visa agent..I thought the BBL branches in downtown CR were fine.  I almost moved there a few times..just pretty aggravated with air quality issues..loved the rainny season up there..

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

You can get Passbook updated and the standard letter relating to your account for Immigration at any branch of your bank.

4 hours ago, moontang said:

There were three posted yesterday with rates of 1.15, 1.3, and a fixed at 1.5% no withholding, and usually krungsri doesn't pay that far behind...amazing how many of the expats have been getting around a half percent for decades..

The interest from all Thai held bank accounts are now taxed at source.

I was recently at KBank. The bank person wanted my TM30 and a whole host of other TMs. I had my passport, house book, wife, and about 50k Baht. She told me "no open account, I need new TM30." I told her I wasn't leaving without an account. She fiddled the keyboard for 20 minutes while I waited hoping I would leave. I left with an account. HOLD YOUR GROUND. 

Be nice, hold your ground, and you'll usually get what you want, no matter where you are. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You can get Passbook updated and the standard letter relating to your account for Immigration at any branch of your bank.

Thanks.

On 6/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, moontang said:

They have to be a member of the deposit insurance agency.  There is a specific list, make no mistake.  https://www.baac.or.th/baac_en/

Not approved..

http://www.icbcthai.com/ICBC/海外分行/工银泰国网站/en/PersonalBanking/Deposit/SavingAccount/NormalSavingAccount/

"...• The deposit and accrued interest are under the protection of the laws regarding the Deposit Protection Agency as per the amount and conditions stipulated therein."

On 6/21/2020 at 2:28 PM, fxe1200 said:

ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited) in Hat Yai, passport only, last week, and the best interest rates whatsoever.

But, it states in English, on their website, WP is required.

Screenshot_20200625-110604.png

On 6/22/2020 at 7:08 PM, Mulambana said:

Before the covid lock down, I opened an account at Krungsri bank in Central Pattaya. They only checked my passport. Did not even check my address or lease. 

Yes I opened an account with them at Central yesterday. I sent an email enquiring with Bangkok Bank. They replied saying I need a passport and a letter from a trusted official or a customer. My wife has several accounts with them so she wrote the letter but when I went to the branch they said it had to be a trusted customer. I asked why my wife wasn't trusted. Went around for a bit and I asked them to call the help number on the email. No wife not a trusted customer. Went next door I think to Kasikorn and they said I had to have a non oa visa and not a non O. Went to Krungsri and they said no worries. Non o fine. Is great how 3 banks all have different requisites. 

2 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Yes I opened an account with them at Central yesterday. I sent an email enquiring with Bangkok Bank. They replied saying I need a passport and a letter from a trusted official or a customer. My wife has several accounts with them so she wrote the letter but when I went to the branch they said it had to be a trusted customer. I asked why my wife wasn't trusted. Went around for a bit and I asked them to call the help number on the email. No wife not a trusted customer. Went next door I think to Kasikorn and they said I had to have a non oa visa and not a non O. Went to Krungsri and they said no worries. Non o fine. Is great how 3 banks all have different requisites. 

But did they give you the Mee Tae Dai Account?