Anyone opened a bank account recently without a work permit?

In 2007, I able to open a saving account with Kasikorn Bank without work permit. Just passport and my 30 days tourist visa. I told the bank officer that I can't carry twenty thousand baht everywhere I go. So he open the account for me and free SMS update.

Another way to open the bank account, go to your embassy and get the letter from embassy. The letter contain your name and address, as well address to the bank you want. Then you can open the bank account. 

Forget about Bangkok Bank, you will never get internet banking without work permit. Go for other banks. 

5 minutes ago, macgver said:

Forget about Bangkok Bank, you will never get internet banking without work permit.

I have internet and mobile banking at Bangkok Bank and I have never had a work permit. I have had it for 8 years already,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I have internet and mobile banking at Bangkok Bank and I have never had a work permit. I have had it for 8 years already,

I done for a few friends who want the Bangkok Bank to buy the condo and Bangkok Bank don't want to give the internet banking unless they have work permit. 

bangkok bank on pattaya beach road was allowing it as of a year ago, as long as you paid for some nonsensically expensive insurance. i recall it was about 14k THB for the insurance (I didnt buy it, as I already had a bangkok bank account from bangkok). i didnt have any supporting documents

13 hours ago, macgver said:

Forget about Bangkok Bank, you will never get internet banking without work permit. Go for other banks. 

Not so, I opened an account with Bangkok Bank earlier this year, been retired here for 12 years so never had a Work Permit, full internet and mobile access given on the day I opened the account, nothing more than a passport needed as ID. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Not so, I opened an account with Bangkok Bank earlier this year, been retired here for 12 years so never had a Work Permit, full internet and mobile access given on the day I opened the account, nothing more than a passport needed as ID. 

Same here.

Opened 4 months ago, never had a work permit.

Edited by JimmyJ

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

16 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Same here.

Opened 4 months ago, never had a work permit.

It may help other members in your area if you posted the locations of these branches where you so easily opened these accounts.

A Yellow Tabien Baan is not a substitute for a WP.

The Yellow book is merely an acceptable form of proof of address, same as a 'certificate of residence', which are now often required as opposed to the wife/landlord TB and ID card that used to be accepted as proof of address.

You must stipulate 'Savings account'.

Those foreigners with PR or WP can open 'Current accounts' same as Thais, which other foreigners cannot.

Banking staff quite often assume you want a current account, hence request a WP.

They also may not be familiar with opening 'Savings' accounts for foreigners.

Even then as I recently discovered each branch can now set it's own requirements, regardless of what the website states.

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Those foreigners with PR or WP can open 'Current accounts' same as Thais, which other foreigners cannot.

Banking staff quite often assume you want a current account, hence request a WP.

I very much doubt that this is a common problem. Most Thais open savings accounts as well, why would the staff jump to the conclusion that a random foreigner who walks in to open an account wants a current account?

I think it's usually a combination of: confusing internal guidelines, don't want to deal with the extra hassle, don't want to make any mistake, don't want to speak English.

Just copying the right pages of a passport can be a challenge. A staff member of Krungsri once accidentally copied my latest visa for Laos instead of my current Thai visa. That didn't go down well with their head office; they called and asked me to send them copies of each and every page of my passport.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I very much doubt that this is a common problem. Most Thais open savings accounts as well, why would the staff jump to the conclusion that a random foreigner who walks in to open an account wants a current account?

Thais are usually asked which type of account they want to open.

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I think it's usually a combination of: confusing internal guidelines, don't want to deal with the extra hassle, don't want to make any mistake, don't want to speak English.

That certainly is a large part of the issue.

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Just copying the right pages of a passport can be a challenge. A staff member of Krungsri once accidentally copied my latest visa for Laos instead of my current Thai visa. That didn't go down well with their head office; they called and asked me to send them copies of each and every page of my passport.

Copying or transferring information incorrectly is also a problem and not just banking.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, Tanoshi said:

A Yellow Tabien Baan is not a substitute for a WP.

The Yellow book is merely an acceptable form of proof of address, same as a 'certificate of residence', which are now often required as opposed to the wife/landlord TB and ID card that used to be accepted as proof of address.

They also may not be familiar with opening 'Savings' accounts for foreigners.

Even then as I recently discovered each branch can now set it's own requirements, regardless of what the website states.

I didn't state it was, but having opened 9 bank accounts in LOS, and one brokerage account..the yellowbook was what enabled me to open most of them, without the WP.