Does palliative / hospice care exist in Chiang Mai (or Thailand in general)?

Frank428

I have a relative in Chiang Mai with a terminal illness that needs a place that can provide palliative / hospice care.  There is no hope for recovery, no sense in more surgeries and she doesn't want to live on life support.  This has been a real challenge because Thais do not seem to understand this or to be able to follow instructions.  She was in one facility where they kept returning her to a hospital that cannot do anything for her saying "we don't let our patients die here".  This has resulted in a non-stop revolving door with the nursing home and the hospital. 

Can anyone advise a good place in Chiang Mai that can care for someone who is terminally ill but can focus on eliminating/minimizing pain and suffering and providing a calm quiet place. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Is there no family available?  Thai normally do not go into nursing homes and personal care help is not expensive if needed.  Yes there are a handful of nursing homes these days but it is still rare for Thai to use them and do not know of any hospice type facilities (but am no authority).  

Edit to add that pain control is indeed an issue outside of hospital setting but believe is improving - suspect they are supposed to honor DNR requests these days - but that may be by sending you away for some facilities.

Edited by lopburi3

There is a booming industry in that area for what you are looking for. I have seen documentaries about europeans going there expressly for that purpose. Whether it is cost prohibitive for Thais I have no idea. Google may help you in this respect.

You are in luck. While the kind of facility you seek is rare in Thailand, the best one is in Chiang Mai.

https://mckean.or.th/

Well suited to foreigners and they provide very good palliative care

I also suggest you get in touch with this organization who can help you with arrangements  http://www.lannacarenet.org/the-lanna-care-net/

You might also PM TV member NancyL who volunteers with LannaCare, she knows a lot about the palliative care offered by McKean

McKean isn't very good about answering emails.  It would be best to call their head nurse, Nurse Paratee M-F 8 am to 4 pm.  Her phone number is 0817163963.  I don't know if are now accepting new residents because of Covid-19.  I know they weren't last month.

They are very experienced in end-of-life care and have provided a dignified end for many people, both foreign and Thai. That's not all they do -- it's a great place to go, too, if you need a few weeks of therapy after major surgery, say, for a hip replacement.  Excellent physical therapy dept. 

• Like 1