Manhattan prosecutor steps down, ending stand-off with U.S. Attorney General Barr

rooster59

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

Are reasons generally given for such actions? Are such actions usually taken this deep in the term? Also, thanks for demonstrating that for some Trump fans, dictatorship ain't necessarily a bad word.

1) I don't know. Who cares?

2) I don't know. Who cares?

3) You clearly do not understand the benefits of being a president. Using your logic, one should just assume "dictatorship" when any president exercises the benefits of his office. I'm sure you see the silliness in such a stance, yes?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The fact is the presidency under the Constitution is indeed unitary.  The power of the Department of Justice is power that is delegated, but not ceded, to it by the president.  The DoJ, despite our fondest hopes, is not a fourth branch of government.  It was only ever from custom or a kind of good manners that the president did not interfere directly in the prosecutions carried out by the DoJ.  To that extent, Trump is correct, he does have the power to control the DoJ and to hire and fire US Attorneys. 

The problem is that the Constitution does not actually provide as much separation of powers as Americans assume to be the case.  The Constitution should be amended, but the Framers wrote it to make it nearly impossible to amend because of the requirement of a trifecta of supermajorities required to amend: two-thirds of the Senate, two-thirds of the House, and three-quarters of the states.  Since 1789 there have been only seventeen amendments, the last of which took two hundred years to ratify.  None of us will ever see any new amendment in our lifetimes.  

Are these your thoughts? Do you write for Opera News? It is normal to use quotes when quoting someone else.

9 hours ago, samran said:

5 months before an election? Why? Thanks 

Given the US system it’s more understandable you do these things at the start of a term. Getting your own people has always been the way. 

It’s the timing which produces a stench typically found in this part of the world. 

Giuliani has some explanation in mind.

https://triblive.com/news/world/giuliani-suggests-trump-may-have-fired-manhattan-u-s-attorney-over-investigations/

Edited by candide
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, riclag said:

In the middle of the story from reuters it said critics and there was mention of a source who spoke of anonymity and then  there is another investigation,surprise surprize, of none other than nadler on  bermans leaving!

At the very bottom of reuters  story, lol is , 

"I fully expect that the office will continue to handle all cases in the normal course and pursuant to the Department’s applicable standards, policies, and guidance," Barr wrote.

I would expect this is what  the POTUS and Guliani critics  would be more interested in.trying to prove without a reasonable doubt the actions of anything to do staring with the letter T  and ending with P. in NY. ,those investigations will continue!

Now your opinion of Mr. Barr

"Barr does look like just a political hack working to defend Trump".

I must admit I have little knowledge of what your thoughts are in Barrs past dealings with other administrations,there's  no sources. I do know he was approved unanimously  the first time to be Atty General! The second time  by all senate republicans,thank the lord for that.

Mr. Barr is the POTUS wingman(not the first POTUS to have one) ,secondly he is fulfilling his obligation to enforcing the law! I would expect you would disagree with those statements.  If sessions was still here imop  the nonsense of the continued investigation of muellers hit squad on the russian investigation of the POTUS would probably still be going on despite all the misdeeds discovered by  the IG ,

Also without Mr. Barr there wouldn't be a special prosecutor looking into biden  and others as Mr. Bash is performing! And last but not least,there probably wouldn't be a criminal investigation by Mr. Durham of  some of the intel, cabinet  members and  doj of obama! 

The above is  just my opinion!

Thanks Riclag, appreciate your opinion.  My point is just that it seems like Barr's objective is merely to be "Trump's wingman." But performing that role is only a means to another end.  Trump was something of a secondary player in a much larger story, and one which Barr is a player in.  Keeping that story under wraps is Barr's primary objective.  Trump has enabled Barr to make a number of moves to do that.  If Trump is no longer POTUS, there is a greater risk now that a much larger story will out.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, riclag said:

In the middle of the story from reuters it said critics and there was mention of a source who spoke of anonymity and then  there is another investigation,surprise surprize, of none other than nadler on  bermans leaving!

At the very bottom of reuters  story, lol is , 

"I fully expect that the office will continue to handle all cases in the normal course and pursuant to the Department’s applicable standards, policies, and guidance," Barr wrote.

I would expect this is what  the POTUS and Guliani critics  would be more interested in.trying to prove without a reasonable doubt the actions of anything to do staring with the letter T  and ending with P. in NY. ,those investigations will continue!

Now your opinion of Mr. Barr

"Barr does look like just a political hack working to defend Trump".

I must admit I have little knowledge of what your thoughts are in Barrs past dealings with other administrations,there's  no sources. I do know he was approved unanimously  the first time to be Atty General! The second time  by all senate republicans,thank the lord for that.

Mr. Barr is the POTUS wingman(not the first POTUS to have one) ,secondly he is fulfilling his obligation to enforcing the law! I would expect you would disagree with those statements.  If sessions was still here imop  the nonsense of the continued investigation of muellers hit squad on the russian investigation of the POTUS would probably still be going on despite all the misdeeds discovered by  the IG ,

Also without Mr. Barr there wouldn't be a special prosecutor looking into biden  and others as Mr. Bash is performing! And last but not least,there probably wouldn't be a criminal investigation by Mr. Durham of  some of the intel, cabinet  members and  doj of obama! 

The above is  just my opinion!

During his first term has Attorney General he advised President George H.W. Bush to pardon the Irangate conspirators. In that case, had they not been pardoned, their testimony could have implicated Bush. So Barr isn't such a bulldog when it comes to potential Republican criminality.