Thailand’s impressive battle against COVID-19 result of decades-long efforts

rooster59

9 hours ago, steelepulse said:

So all the other countries bordering Thailand have also been preparing for so long and have the same health care standards?  Seems the bordering countries have fared just as well if not better.

Cambodia and Laos have terrible health care standards. Their numbers look better though...but probably due to lack of testing and less hysteria (and far fewer resources). Once the infrastructure is in place, next time around those countries will probably start doing what Thailand did this time round.

47 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You are the fake news.

4 months I read on TVF about how

Thailand have so many deaths (fake news)

hide the deaths (confused with U.K, not in Thailand.)

masks not work (fake news, they work)

thailand not testing (test so much, first case in world outside China because TESTING)

Thaichana system not work (it work well. Confused U.K. again)

This OP is report that Thailand is 2nd in world, the Aussie is number 1, but many member complain and moan.

More people die TODAY covid in U.K. and USA etc than TOTAL in Thailand.

Starving Thais ? Pfffft. BS

Nobody starving in Thailand. 

If you find, I will ask them.

Have a link?

Racist? USA, UK, Australia all fighting racism protests today. Last week. Burning, fighting, stealing.

And in Thailand? 

have a link?

Thai people work hard together to fight covid. 

Other country fight each other black and white, left and right, refuse the rule etc. = lose to covid. = thai people still must worry about covid

Not be selfish please.

Well for sure lot's of problems in the some Western countries, especially US and UK. I do agree that masks are very important and easy to use as are the other standard things at store entry (hand sanitizer and temp checks).

I think the stats here are unreliable. If you look at excess deaths it seems that things are under reported. In terms of testing, if you look at test/million Thailand ranks at 127, which is pretty low. If the contact tracing is good, it can be worked around. I have not been following so much now, but before there were reports of many people dependent on free meals given as handouts. The subsidy being given out seems not to be enough. So maybe not starving, but that is not good. At least, they are getting food.

Having said this, it appears that the illness is well under control here. I am not afraid of catching covid here. Now, if I can only get back home to Taiwan....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

a lot of things just dont add up.cambodia and laos,health systems with low nos -well good luck with that,dictatorships  and a lack of real info.they have that in common for sure.the big one- ZERO testing,hospital by me wants 6400B a test .absurd is the politest word,all agencies say testing is the key so if u test u will see the extent of the problem or the lack of it,who has it and to what extent.the govt allowed chinese in here come what may so that doesnt add up either.the PRC govt were the ones who stopped them coming really not this end!!now theyve screwed up the economy.no ones been helped out at a business level,no money they say .spent it all on arms,chinese tek and trains!thats another question for another day ,the inability to open up the economy has cost most a great deal .hotels up for sale in large nos, massive unemployment,masses of condos still being built,who will buy them the thais most certainly not and if no one is allowed in......,and and and,let people move about in the region where its contained,s korea,hk taiwan singapore philippines malaysia japan are good candidates.test the people when they arrive,stay in their hotel room till they get the result and then life goes on,this is madness,countries in europe are opening up now its passed,greece italy  france spain etc.the nos show for people under 64 the chances are less than a traffic accident....in europe not here!!!so the odds are pretty good!!get on with it or how long ?till no cases anywhere .thats forever,the apathy of the culture,terror of authority and inability to ask questions is why the army govt has been able to get away with this.if we look at the region its the same mould everywhere,dictatorships-camb,laos,burma,singapore,hk,china,philippines.its only s korea and taiwan that stand as functional democracies.the real damage is apparent as this isnt a balanced economy,itll get worse.some of the sheer guff spoken about tourism is beyond the pale,hi spending rich hi so people oh please,they go to classy places to spend their money,europe is cultured and articulate,paris milan florence greek islands etc,all at the same price as here or cheaper and hassle free,its hardly an articulate culture,xenophobic unwelcoming and renowned for rip offs and being difficult.lets be honest just for a moment why would cultured super rich come here!!??the self delusion is  truly......amazing!

What is your problem?

You stutter a little.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

a lot of things just dont add up.cambodia and laos,health systems with low nos -well good luck with that,dictatorships  and a lack of real info.they have that in common for sure.the big one- ZERO testing,hospital by me wants 6400B a test .absurd is the politest word,all agencies say testing is the key so if u test u will see the extent of the problem or the lack of it,who has it and to what extent.the govt allowed chinese in here come what may so that doesnt add up either.the PRC govt were the ones who stopped them coming really not this end!!now theyve screwed up the economy.no ones been helped out at a business level,no money they say .spent it all on arms,chinese tek and trains!thats another question for another day ,the inability to open up the economy has cost most a great deal .hotels up for sale in large nos, massive unemployment,masses of condos still being built,who will buy them the thais most certainly not and if no one is allowed in......,and and and,let people move about in the region where its contained,s korea,hk taiwan singapore philippines malaysia japan are good candidates.test the people when they arrive,stay in their hotel room till they get the result and then life goes on,this is madness,countries in europe are opening up now its passed,greece italy  france spain etc.the nos show for people under 64 the chances are less than a traffic accident....in europe not here!!!so the odds are pretty good!!get on with it or how long ?till no cases anywhere .thats forever,the apathy of the culture,terror of authority and inability to ask questions is why the army govt has been able to get away with this.if we look at the region its the same mould everywhere,dictatorships-camb,laos,burma,singapore,hk,china,philippines.its only s korea and taiwan that stand as functional democracies.the real damage is apparent as this isnt a balanced economy,itll get worse.some of the sheer guff spoken about tourism is beyond the pale,hi spending rich hi so people oh please,they go to classy places to spend their money,europe is cultured and articulate,paris milan florence greek islands etc,all at the same price as here or cheaper and hassle free,its hardly an articulate culture,xenophobic unwelcoming and renowned for rip offs and being difficult.lets be honest just for a moment why would cultured super rich come here!!??the self delusion is  truly......amazing!

I think I agree with some (maybe most or all) of this but I had to bail at one point as I felt like I needed to do some cocaine to continue. Maybe break it up into a few different sentences?

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Conflation is not causation. There is no convincing scientific evidence that lockdowns or masks have made any material difference to outcomes in countries afflicted by the COVID pandemic. Or maybe you can supply some?

I think the first prize goes to the country whose population believes in their own government's propaganda.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

If it is just climate.. then why does Indonesia get hit hard ? Also Singapore has many infections. 

I think it plays a role, but not as big as many think on this forum.

They are dying to put down Thailand while many are from the US and UK two of the states that failed the worst of all. Must be hard for all those arrogant people that they can't look down on Thailand and need to make excuses to not believe the succes in this country.

Like many experts I believe its the fast and strict lock-down that helped not climate (it might have played a role but not as big otherwise other countries with similar climate would have come off easy too). I am not saying im an expert but read experts attribute it to fast lockdown.

I find it really funny that so many on this forum have a hard time admitting that the Thais did well. Guess it hurts their superiority complex.

I am not talking about you as you never bash Thais. 

well said! i still remember all the cynical forum farangs who predicted a covid massacre bc Thailand let in all these Chinese tourists. Oh boy, must be  hard to swallow their own puke now that it is undeniable clear that Thailand did A GREAT JOB.

Anyone looking for a jolly good covid laugh should look ar the usa...now THATS a bloody mess!

Edited by herwin1234
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Are the lower road deaths contributing to the lower overall number of deaths in this calculation of actual deaths above normal deaths?

• Like 1

It is very clear now, who handled the COVID-19 pandemic successfully, albeit in varying degrees. Now that the world is slowly recovering, the face saving theories and insults are increasing.

Remember some experts predicting 1000's of deaths in Thailand? Now that those experts were proven wrong, more twisted theories galore.

How low can a human being go down to?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

It is very clear now, who handled the COVID-19 pandemic successfully, albeit in varying degrees. Now that the world is slowly recovering, the face saving theories and insults are increasing.

Remember some experts predicting 1000's of deaths in Thailand? Now that those experts were proven wrong, more twisted theories galore.

Did you find any twists in the articles from the NYT and the BBC about the excess deaths?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

wearing a mask doesnt make any difference? i guess all the doctors and nurses and other hospital workers wearing a mask are ignorant idiots?

anyway, the West is full with fools like this guy questiong masks, social distancing, etc, while the Thais are educated and act responsible and UNITED, and together authorities and citizens fight the virus.

Still waiting.

43 minutes ago, ravip said:

What are you talking about: "Now that the world is slowly recovering"?

The global number of cases is at an all time high with in excess of 150k confirmed cases each day, it's far from over. 

Asia has been very lucky 

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Are the lower road deaths contributing to the lower overall number of deaths in this calculation of actual deaths above normal deaths?

When the lockdown started, some of the decrease in the number of excess deaths immediately after it would be because of lower mobility, yes. The virus didn't stop at a wall instantly just because people stopped mingling, that effect would take about two weeks. As you can see in the graph there is also a month in there where deaths are lower than expected, looks like April.

Edited by DrTuner

50 minutes ago, ravip said:

Looks like about 5000 if you also count last years excess deaths. Not exactly armageddon but it's there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

And your comments support the fact that the Thailand numbers are near correct.

Unless, some tin foilers believe all these countries conspired together to lie and cheat.

thats fair. Mind you there are some idiots who believe the virus is a global conspiracy and all the world leaders are fooling the people... 

No doubt Thailand does well but I believe it is a huge dose of luck as well, Despite what people say there is a lot of evidence that climate plays a role. It makes sense if you think about it, all the cooler climate countries in the west are really suffering.. So for Thailand, managed well and some good fortune has enabled them to keep it under control...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patts said:

What are you talking about: "Now that the world is slowly recovering"?

The global number of cases is at an all time high with in excess of 150k confirmed cases each day, it's far from over. 

Asia has been very lucky 

Do cases matter, or does number of deaths and IFR matter?  Also, how about breaking down the health and age of deaths.  Covid deaths are almost 100 % of elderly, mobidly obese, serious health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, insulin resistant  etc.

Time to start presenting facts and end the fear mongering.

I get it, the majority of TV posters are blue hairs, out of shape, and in fear of something that does not cause death to healthy people.  Maybe all the people in fear need to get healthier.