Thailand’s impressive battle against COVID-19 result of decades-long efforts

rooster59

25 minutes ago, Patts said:

The global number of cases is at an all time high with in excess of 150k confirmed cases each day, it's far from over. 

Asia has been very lucky 

Maybe Asia's Luck has been from NOT testing like Western & Muslim countries have/do.

Trump - maybe we should slow down our testing to look good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

Tests on arrival will show nothing. One can be infected with a low viral load and turn up a negative result. Then they get sick on holiday and spread the virus around. I don't see any international tourism restarting here for many months. 

Rubbish 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SAINT THOMAS said:

Who QC’d that data ??? Look at Brazil and the UK.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not really, no way you can prepare a nation of 70 million people to a pandemic... is just that Thai people have taken this threat more seriously than most other countries around the world and acted accordingly, where in ma many countries people throw cation to the wind Thai people are still wearing masks and mindful of the virus coming back...

You can only be judged on the number of test done. How many tests were actually done per capita. Most people in Thailand cannot afford the 7000 thb that it is costing so I'm afraid it is just propaganda again. The other week they said there was no cases for 14 days but previously during that 14 days the number went up strange ????. Then they want to invite the chinese into the country as they have sorted it, now Beijing is in lockdown again. So call me a disbeliever, that's because I am

8 hours ago, Patts said:

What are you talking about: "Now that the world is slowly recovering"?

The global number of cases is at an all time high with in excess of 150k confirmed cases each day, it's far from over. 

Asia has been very lucky 

https://ncov2019.live/

What are you talking about: 

How it was a couple of months back and today.

Slowly, airports are opening, factories etc starting to open etc.

Maybe, I should have said slowly people are learning to live with the COVID-19...

Asia has been very lucky

Really? A matter of luck?

11 hours ago, Zikomat said:

P.S. Just read Spain will allow the UK tourists without any quarantine requirements. Will Thailand dare to do something like that? 

No. Would be stupid. So much.

Thailand care about elderly people. Look like Spain care about money. 

Spain 30,000+ dead.

Thailand number 2.

2 days ago world = 180,000 NEW cases.

thailand 5 new cases. 

9279BAFF-E04F-4B8B-8512-6835C7253D12.jpeg

9E5C8355-7238-41B8-A595-8A604212D154.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

m m m Very interesting!!! time will tell,I do not believe that masks have saved the day, as any one with a grain will tell you if it lets smoke in, then germs can enter, there only a hand full of masks that can keep smoke out, also many medical people say germs can enter through the eyes, does that mean many people have been walking and driving blind (mask up over eyes) no one is wearing goggles.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Conflation is not causation. There is no convincing scientific evidence that lockdowns or masks have made any material difference to outcomes in countries afflicted by the COVID pandemic. Or maybe you can supply some?

All the scientists say that lock-down helps but you the nationalist wanting to defend failing Britain and putting Thais down goes against the grain. Saying lock-down and masks don't change a thing. The world is wrong but your right because you can't stand to damage your pride for your failing country. 

I guess next you will argue Britain did a stand up job ????

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No. Would be stupid. So much.

Thailand care about elderly people. Look like Spain care about money. 

Not sure this is true, Spain and other countries have to care about the future of younger generations. Somewhere we have to find a trade of between people dying from Covid or as a result of the collapse of the economy. 

I will accept that the Thai people have done a great job in handling Covid only once someone comes up with a plan to reemploy the several million of people who worked for foreign tourists. Grants for eduction, lasting two or three years, could be one of many solutions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m sure he (Lacessit) has plenty of exposure to educated Thai’s as do many Westerners who live in Thailand. 

Those very same educated Thai’s are likely to hold the same opinion when looking at the facts: 

- Chinese tourists were still flooding to Thailand while Wuhan was being locked down. 

- Mass exodus from Bangkok on crowded busses (the perfect vector for spread !)

How has Thailand managed to avoid a crisis?...  Do you really think it’s due to decades-long efforts in medical disaster relief ???? REALLY ????? - or, could there be other factors at play (such as UV-Index, Biology, Blood Type, T-Cells etc) ???

I’m extremely happy Thailand has avoided a crisis, however, I also suspect a great deal of luck has been involved. 

Ok do explain why Indonesia and countries like Brazil (similar climate have loads of deaths). So how does that hold up to your UV index. Then Biology.. do tell me why then Thais coming from other places got infected at a high rate too. So it ca't be a natural defense mechanism. 

Your theories are easily disproved. I am pretty sure the lockdown and mask wearing has helped a lot.l You were not in country. But in my area BKK streets were deserted everyone was wearing masks. Shops would not let you in without checking your temperature. Totally different from what I heard they did in the Netherlands. 

Sure maybe some villages did not pick it up as much as in BKK with their social distancing and mask wearing. However the problems started in BKK and because of strict rules never got any further.

I am wondering why foreigners are so hard trying to disprove the Thai success, probably because their nationalistic pride tells them too as Europe and the US failed so much its almost unbelieveable.

Mainly because they locked down too late. Just look at the UK arguably one of the worst hit in Europe. It locked down so much later. My country.. masks were just not available  not worn. Only far later did that start.

Was there luck at play sure.. but the lockdown and mask wearing explained most of it. Thais just follow rules imposed better. Especially when an army and police really checks them.

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ratchsima said:

So you just confirm that you are here only associting with  low-class third-class people /lowly educated people like yourself??

That is why you have no clues about how educated Thai/doctors/medical people strategically works and plans.

Typical low-class farang keenok confirm here. At least Thais are not wrong about this steryotype.

Oh dear, are you a racist by any chance.....? ????

You seem to have your head stuck where the sun don't shine.................????

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Not sure this is true, Spain and other countries have to care about the future of younger generations. Somewhere we have to find a trade of between people dying from Covid or as a result of the collapse of the economy. 

I will accept that the Thai people have done a great job in handling Covid only once someone comes up with a plan to reemploy the several million of people who worked for foreign tourists.

Tourist not come now. Thailand can not change that NOW. If the world be more success fight covid THEN tourist allow return. Annoying me the other country stupid.

Have plan. But the TVF member will not like it. Yesterday I talk my friend a lot, he the lawyer. 

Thailand not have enough worker. In the south 50% of tourist worker is from Burmese. Also many other job eg Gas pump, restaurant, wood factory, cleaner, construction, palm and rubber plantation. Thailand have 3 million foreigners worker.

Immigration office will NOT give new work permit now.

And not extension a lot. Up to if enough job for Thai people. Up to economy.

Maybe you not believe Yinn. Call immigration and ask. 

8 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Grants for eduction, lasting two or three years, could be one of many solutions.

Education is not money.

Give the job to Thai people. If need worker later, the foreigner can return.

Good plan right?

A flame and a reply have been removed

A conspiracy troll post and reply have been removed

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Thank you for your co-operation.

Thailand covid free, don't make me laugh

Another wretched cover up

Myanmar reported 23 cases of Chinese flu on Friday among a group of Burmese deported from Thailand for visa violations. They were originally in a detention centre in Southern Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not really, no way you can prepare a nation of 70 million people to a pandemic... is just that Thai people have taken this threat more seriously than most other countries around the world and acted accordingly, where in ma many countries people throw cation to the wind Thai people are still wearing masks and mindful of the virus coming back...

Korea, Taiwan, Singapore were prepared for a pandemic. They kept their supplies and structures and expertise from the past pandemic experiences. Also Asians as a whole don't fight wearing a mask.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brickbat said:

It’s a combo of not shaking hands ( wai) , wearing face masks ( a huge no no for westerners) and maybe Naam plaa.

That may be true up to a point, but Thai men, particularly salesmen, have a habit of touching you on  your arm, I am fed up brushing them off.

• Like 1