Thailand’s impressive battle against COVID-19 result of decades-long efforts

rooster59

45 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

There is only state media in Thailand, and journalism, along with actual journalists died a long time ago

How about CNN, BBC, FOX?

Are "actual journalists" living there?

Just asking...

11 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Do cases matter, or does number of deaths and IFR matter?  Also, how about breaking down the health and age of deaths.  Covid deaths are almost 100 % of elderly, mobidly obese, serious health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, insulin resistant  etc.

Time to start presenting facts and end the fear mongering.

I get it, the majority of TV posters are blue hairs, out of shape, and in fear of something that does not cause death to healthy people.  Maybe all the people in fear need to get healthier.

Excellent post, could not agree more.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Conclusion > With the exception of the 80 patients still quarantained in hospital, Thailand is completely covid-free.

So why still that unnecessary social distancing and mask rule enforcement?

After 15 days of no new cases, the government could have stopped that and allow opening up everything again. What are they waiting for? 

I doubt that is a good suggestion. People responsible for governing countries knows something more, that the average Dick does not know.

With this virus, even after 15 days of no new cases, it is NOT a guarantee that another wave will NOT occur. Just read about what happened in New Zealand.

What are they waiting for? Because of very good and intelligent reasons.

...err on the side of caution, I remember someone one saying!

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, JCP108 said:

But, who would be using social media to alert you? It couldn't be family members of a sick or dying person because those people would be as unaware of the public health statistics as we are. Social media won't save you if nobody knows the actual data to report. 

There are no mounds of dead bodies or unusual social media reports when and extra 2% of people die each month. That amount doesn't happen all at once in one place...so, no mound of bodies. And, that's not an amount that overwhelms any particular hospital or the entire health care system. You don't have to go out of your way to hide something that someone (without access to the aggregate data) can't see...just don't report it. 

An extra 2% deaths for the last six months here would mean (47k x .02 x 6) and extra 5,240 deaths. If those extra deaths are Covid-related and 1% of people with the virus die, that number would suggest around 524,000 cases. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.htm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200608/Cremation-numbers-reveal-possible-suppression-of-true-COVID-19-data-in-China.aspx

A reasonably decent intellect can always paint a gloomy and dire scenario, with cherry picked facts. The reality is that Poon, Apple, Cherry, Somtip, Tang Mo, and Oy would be all over facebook, and instagram taking about relatives dropping from flu, pneumonia and Covid like symptoms, and you would see hospital rooms choked with people coughing and in terrible shape, if the scenario you are painting was even anywhere near approaching reality. Not the case. I have a friend who works as a surgical nurse at a prominent hospital. She tells me they did thousands of Covid tests, and did not have one positive. Not one. 

Just make an effort to wrap your mind around the fact that it is gone, baby gone from Thailand. So many do not want to accept that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Korea, Taiwan, Singapore were prepared for a pandemic. They kept their supplies and structures and expertise from the past pandemic experiences. Also Asians as a whole don't fight wearing a mask.

They also have draconian laws in place that can be triggered at a moment's notice.

Plus they rely on the citizens giving up their data protection rights

• Like 1

Thailand went in to lockdown early- nothing more nothing less.  The health system is by no means robust, there was little or no testing, and minimal/selective tracing.  It was enough, and well executed.  The problem is that having consigned itself to such a policy, the country has condemned itself to years of economic suffering.  Yet, I don't think it really had any other option.  Unfortunately, Thailand is snookered, and will now be at the mercy of this and any subsequent virus until such time an effective treatment is found.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

They don't get killed for reporting & yes the govts are held to account by the media in real countries

So they say...

Reading the news, some killed just for the sake of it, or the colour of their skin. A typical case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Edited by ravip
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

The New Zealand case was about insufficient control on people entering the country.

With no new cases for 25 days, one must conclude that Thailand is covid-free, and that there is no reason to keep enforcing the temporary measures.  But of course if the responsible government of Thailand doesn't trust its own figures, that might explain their reluctance to do the obvious and allow opening up again.

I guess you know it all!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

the low number of fat elderly thais that have high blood pressure or diabetes, which are the main comorbidities those dying, is what kept the death count low. The culture of non-physical contact in thailand and the sunny environment is what kept the infection rate down.

Are they suggesting that the high power thai hospital system was better at keeping those sick with the virus alive better than other countries?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I have a friend who works as a surgical nurse at a prominent hospital.  She tells me they did thousands of Covid tests, and did not have one positive. Not one

To wit:

Reuters -- JUNE 19, 2020 / 5:59 PM

Thailand has reported no local transmission of the coronavirus for almost a month, only imported cases. Taweesin Wisanuyothin, spokesman for the Thai government’s COVID-19 Administration Center, told Reuters the public health ministry had carried out random tests on more than 500,000 people including migrant workers but did not find any infections.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-myanmar/myanmar-reports-23-coronavirus-cases-in-migrants-deported-from-thailand-idUSKBN23Q1SN

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

To wit:

Reuters -- JUNE 19, 2020 / 5:59 PM

Thailand has reported no local transmission of the coronavirus for almost a month, only imported cases. Taweesin Wisanuyothin, spokesman for the Thai government’s COVID-19 Administration Center, told Reuters the public health ministry had carried out random tests on more than 500,000 people including migrant workers but did not find any infections.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-myanmar/myanmar-reports-23-coronavirus-cases-in-migrants-deported-from-thailand-idUSKBN23Q1SN

There are no local transmissions in Thailand. Therefore, the people returning to Myanmar must have gotten it after they crossed the border out of Thailand. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

All the scientists say that lock-down helps but you the nationalist wanting to defend failing Britain and putting Thais down goes against the grain. Saying lock-down and masks don't change a thing. The world is wrong but your right because you can't stand to damage your pride for your failing country. 

I guess next you will argue Britain did a stand up job ????

You and Yinn obviously haven't read my numerous posts about Britain's lamentable pandemic performance. Which obviously makes me a pretty disappointed "nationalist"!

The jury is still out on whether Thailand has squeezed the virus out of its system (testing has not been widespread enough to determine this) or whether the bug is merely dormant and waiting to spark a new wave of infections when the schools and colleges resume next month.

With regard to the efficacy of lockdowns and masks, you again fail to supply any evidence to support your hypothesis, which conflicts with the latest scientific evidence to which I have referred in previous postings.

4 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

There are no local transmissions in Thailand. Therefore, the people returning to Myanmar must have gotten it after they crossed the border out of Thailand. 

Or before --

"Thant Zin Aung, a lawmaker for Myanmar’s Myawaddy township, which borders Thailand, said all 23 had been deported to Myanmar from Thailand on June 8. They had been in a Thai detention center close to the Malaysia border over visa violations, he said. At least some had earlier been detained in Malaysia.

(as above)

On 6/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, NanLaew said:

In Isaan, with each moobahn's organised ritual of burning trash piles, virtually impossible to go unnoticed.

In Bangkok, the epicenter of Thai Covid-19 deaths?

Yeah, right...

In the  klong then,  who'd  know they stink anyway

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, the virus was waiting 0.1cm from the Thai border, ready to attack. The magic travel bubble protects the Kingdom of Fantasy from the evil dirty farang virus.

Gotcha! Ding Ding Ding! Maybe Dr. Taweesin thought nobody would notice.

"“Myanmar authorities have to investigate from the patients who just returned what their travel history is and where they have been,”  (Dr. Taweesin) said. via Reuters

Edited by SkyFax
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SAINT THOMAS said:

You may want to run off and check your facts because what you have posted is at least a month out of date. The UK currently have one of the highest testing rates in the world and are doing way in excess of 100,000 tests a day!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

Edited by Patts
Added link

26 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Utter BS

Name the last journalist or activist that was killed by the UK/US govt

If one cares to keep abreast with the news, it is possible to know whats happening in the world. But, keeping an unbiased attitude is number one. How many herein throws accusations at certain nationalities, but fights tooth and nail to justify others.

I agree 100%. We are living amongst utter BS, utter, pure, undiluted BS

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 6/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, scorecard said:

''...don't believe the numbers..."

A few days ago I was talking to 2 Thai uni professor buddies,  they raised this point and both said initially they didn't believe the case numbers, new infections, hospitalized, deaths, etc.

They both also mentioned that all of these numbers have remained without query for many weeks, and if they were untrue by now somebody would have discovered they were false and it would have reached the media quickly. 

China, the adored 'big brother' Thailand's definitely falsifies the numbers. With Thailand being a country with lack of critical thinking, critical press, or democratic opposition, who knows... Are there any numbers out about asymptomatic cases, i.e. people who tested positive, but didn't show symptoms?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 6/21/2020 at 9:41 AM, Stocky said:

Thailand can thank its army of over a million village health volunteers, they have been the  ones doing the tracking and tracing.

Not seen any in my village, and no one still wears a mask or distances. Nobody got Covid though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poskat said:

Are they suggesting that the high power thai hospital system was better at keeping those sick with the virus alive better than other countries?

That is the narrow minded view. It is not about keeping a patient alive but preventing a multitude of staff from spreading that infection.

The UK for all the rhetoric from Bojo failed quite dismally, particularly in care homes.

3 hours ago, Patts said:

You may want to run off and check your facts because what you have posted is at least a month out of date. The UK currently have one of the highest testing rates in the world and are doing way in excess of 100,000 tests a day!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104645/covid19-testing-rate-select-countries-worldwide/

The UK stat is the same as that of Brazil. There is an error on the Map. 

I’d guess that the UK stat is missing and mistakenly replaced with Brazil’s stat. 

"Thailand’s impressive battle against COVID-19 result of decades-long efforts"

Whoa!

Whoever dreamed up that headline really kicked a giant wasps net! Was it intentional or not, God only knows. I mean, how can anyone think of Thailand doing anything impressive? It is unthinkable. No it is not true, it is all BS.

Thailand was lucky. Some even went as far as to say that Asia was lucky! Thailand is not doing enough testing. They are cooking up the figures. China, the adored 'big brother of Thailand's definitely falsifies the numbers, ...in my village no one still wears a mask or distances. Yes ~ 200 posts of what Thailand did wrong on the COVID-19 situation.

1. How many of these members living in TH were infected, cured or died?
  2. How many of these members friends, family members or people known to them in TH were infected, cured or died?

So the COVID-19 was very unlucky to the developed world? Does it mean that the amulets are effective and working? How much more arguments and theories are necessary to 'save face' from this unfortunate situation?

Bottom line...The COVID-19 taught the humans a bitter lesson and opened a can of worms by exposing some huge blunders done by some top, over confident experts IMHO.

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1