Thailand’s impressive battle against COVID-19 result of decades-long efforts

rooster59

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The UK stat is the same as that of Brazil. There is an error on the Map. 

I’d guess that the UK stat is missing and mistakenly replaced with Brazil’s stat. 

I don't think so, as of yesterday Brazil had done 2.4 million tests, 11,436 per million people. The Uk has done 7.9 million tests or 116,241 per million people. the data in the map is well and truly out of date

26 minutes ago, Patts said:
37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The UK stat is the same as that of Brazil. There is an error on the Map. 

I’d guess that the UK stat is missing and mistakenly replaced with Brazil’s stat. 

I don't think so, as of yesterday Brazil had done 2.4 million tests, 11,436 per million people. The Uk has done 7.9 million tests or 116,241 per million people. the data in the map is well and truly out of date

It think you missed my point: Look at the Map - There is an error. The map shows that the UK has the same stat as Brazil, which is clearly a mistake. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That may be true up to a point, but Thai men, particularly salesmen, have a habit of touching you on  your arm, I am fed up brushing them off.

Maybe hoping the “ whiteness” rubs off on to them. 

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

UV index is not the same as temperature. Both Indonesia and Brazil are in the ‘rainy season’ and have a lower UV index in general as they are within the ITCZ (Inter Tropical Convergence Zone). 

Thailand also shut down relatively late after the first cases were announced (2 months after the first cases). 

I believe Thailands lock-down, Curfrew, mask wearing and huge amount of news attention about sanitation etc has done a lot of curb the outbreak - Thailand has done well to respond. 

However, Thailand did not lock down until late March when first cases (in Thailand) occurred in January. 

I can’t explain how Thailand has ‘dodged the bullet’ - there is more to Thailands success in fighting the virus that just the response. 

As you have written previously, I am not one to ‘bash’ Thai’s, I always try and see a balance. 

Europe and the US (and South America) has definitely failed, although I am highly sceptical of the high deaths there when reports are ‘died with’ rather than ‘because’ of Covid-19. Come the end of the year when the ‘complete death’ stats are tallied up we know how much of a greater death rate there has been in 2020 compared to 2018 etc.

Thailand has been fortunate, I’m just not sure its solely attributable to the ‘response’ when Thailand locked down relatively late. Or, perhaps the intensity of lockdown and Curfew was sufficient to ’starve’ the virus from spread. 

Another facet: Many countries continuing to report high Covid-19 numbers are testing in ever increasing numbers and more and more asymptomatic cases are being diagnosed.

Thailand doesn’t really seem to be doing a great deal of nationwide testing at all. 

Had Thailand somehow had a weaker strain? Do South East Asian’s have a genetic advantage (T-Cells, better immune response)?...

To summarise my post: I believe there is more to Thailands success in combating the virus than is explained by the ‘back patting’ in the article opening this thread. 

I think it was the intensity of the lockdown. You were not here but everything was locked down in BKK its was a ghost town. People were really strict about it havent heard it was that strict in other countries.

You say that you don't believe the death rates however when the compared the UK its normal death rate with the rate during corvid it came to the same high numbers. So it seems the numbers were spot on.

Your genetic advantage is B.S. because all the Thais that came back had a relative high number of cases. If they were genetically stronger then there would not be that many Thais with symptoms who came back.

I am still of the opinion a lot of foreigners hate to admit Thailand succes as it makes their own countries look back. Majority of people on this forum is from the US or Uk two countries that screwed up royally.

I believe it was the strict lockdown in BKK and my province had a lot to do with it. Also you can say that Thailand was late but you have no clue if it was not in Europe at that time too Thailand tested before Europe as it was closer. Thailand still locked down before EU and US so it was faster. Hard to say if the first cases in Thailand were not at the same time as undiscovered cases in EU an US.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JCP108 said:

There are no local transmissions in Thailand. Therefore, the people returning to Myanmar must have gotten it after they crossed the border out of Thailand. 

These were deportees from Malaysia, not Myanmar workers in Thailand. See post #33

https://www.todayonline.com/world/myanmar-reports-23-coronavirus-cases-migrants-deported-thailand

there is no such a thing as Covid19. it is a total bs.  the number of death is not higher than regular flue. it puzzles me that 'smart' people get so easily coned.  those who are in charge want to destroy the world economy so they can manipulate the mass-idiots.  if people in this forum, who in most part are main-stream, cannot see this, i can only feel sorry for them. those fake scientists cannot even isolate the virus.  the person who invented that system (of identifying the 'virus') himself said that it is not supposed to be used for assessing infectious diseases.  how ignorant are people never sees to astonish me.  and while it is their own business, to think all that nonsense, this affects the whole world.  because anyone who does not stand up against the evil, is evil

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Krisanadi said:

there is no such a thing as Covid19. it is a total bs.  the number of death is not higher than regular flue. it puzzles me that 'smart' people get so easily coned.  those who are in charge want to destroy the world economy so they can manipulate the mass-idiots.  if people in this forum, who in most part are main-stream, cannot see this, i can only feel sorry for them. those fake scientists cannot even isolate the virus.  the person who invented that system (of identifying the 'virus') himself said that it is not supposed to be used for assessing infectious diseases.  how ignorant are people never sees to astonish me.  and while it is their own business, to think all that nonsense, this affects the whole world.  because anyone who does not stand up against the evil, is evil

Another train of thought, at last! Thank you.

(Was getting bored of all the bashing and TVF expert theories)

• Confused 1

The Dark Side Of Thailand's Coronavirus Success.

More ppl died from suicides then virus, lets that sink in.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/06/16/874198026/the-cost-of-thailands-coronavirus-success-despair-and-suicide?fbclid=IwAR1fSUmQXep_EnG8DS5Ia4YyoYJoUeFdRpXYj9EGinbC0rEUEv9vA27OCtA 

Edited by Xaos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

All the scare and fear mongers don't want things like suicide, depression and other side effects brought up as a side effect that is even greater than the actual covid 19 which mainly attacked the elderly with  very weak immune systems as well as the unhealthy people 50 and over.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:55 PM, Canuck1966 said:

They also have draconian laws in place that can be triggered at a moment's notice.

Plus they rely on the citizens giving up their data protection rights

Maybe you view things a bit differently than they do. Asians wear masks at the drop of a hat whereas Americans think it abridges their freedom.

Either way, they were much better prepared. If you deny that then... oh well.  I noticed you didn't address this.

I personally don't mind putting the general good ahead of personal feelings to a limited extent. If I am not willing to sacrifice a bit for my brothers and sisters on this planet then I am not the best person I can be. Up to what you believe in. I do think many people believe the head dude in Western religions gave up his life for others.

Perceptions.

Anyway, I sense I will not make a difference in your life so now that I've said my piece "over and out".

Take care and good health to you.

53 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Maybe you view things a bit differently than they do. Asians wear masks at the drop of a hat whereas Americans think it abridges their freedom.

Either way, they were much better prepared. If you deny that then... oh well.  I noticed you didn't address this.

I personally don't mind putting the general good ahead of personal feelings to a limited extent. If I am not willing to sacrifice a bit for my brothers and sisters on this planet then I am not the best person I can be. Up to what you believe in. I do think many people believe the head dude in Western religions gave up his life for others.

Perceptions.

Anyway, I sense I will not make a difference in your life so now that I've said my piece "over and out".

Take care and good health to you.

All I was saying is that after SARS punitive laws were written and passed that could be triggered at any appropriate moment(SK, Taiwan etc)

The right or wrong is another debate

No way those laws would pass in the west

Data protection & human rights laws are sewn tightly into the fabric of our legal systems

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

All the scare and fear mongers don't want things like suicide, depression and other side effects brought up as a side effect that is even greater than the actual covid 19 which mainly attacked the elderly with  very weak immune systems as well as the unhealthy people 50 and over.

economy soon will go beyond point of repair