Temporary home on our land while we build our house

We're in the early stages of planning our house build, there's lots to discuss between my wife and I...
But one thing we've agreed on - after a little persuasion - is that we should build a little structure for us to stay in when we visit the land during planning and build.
We've looked at both prefab and brick/rendered buildings.
We've come to the decision that we'd like something that will still be useable after construction of the main house, something that can be used for my Mum when she visits, or perhaps an office for me.
What have any of you done? Any Ideas?

I’ve a similar project, need to drop the existing house to rebuild a smaller better one with pool on a generous plot. (Parents old house).

I looked at large camper type vans or an old coach to convert (cheaper), just somewhere to connect aircon and relax.

I decided my best/most practical option was to build a small self contained unit on the edge of the property which will be improved and used later.

The basics, toilet/shower, living room/bedroom with old aircon unit, small tiled area outside.

Virus has stopped play for now. 

Edited by twocatsmac

I'm using local lumber from my wife's grandfathers land, wooden poles for the foundation and wood boards will be made from the local lumber also. I will add a front porch with a covering, 48 SQ meters, will have slider window doors on both ends I think. WIll cost me 500,000 baht depending windows, floor covering etc. 

1592789741649.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

I'm thinking B100,000-B200,000. 

there is no way you'll get anything comfortable for that ... a nice shed maybe.

the cheapest thai house runs in at 3,500-4,500 baht / sqm .... and that's a plain 2br block

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

there is no way you'll get anything comfortable for that ... a nice shed maybe.

the cheapest thai house runs in at 3,500-4,500 baht / sqm .... and that's a plain 2br block

I'm thinking of just a single block, with a small bathroom, nothing special, probably around 30-ish sqm.

8 minutes ago, mal129 said:

You can get a one room bungalow complete with AC and bathroom, around 3 x 4 meters. They're generally referred to as knock-down houses. Not high quality but I think you'll be comfortable as temp housing.

This one is listed at B250,000. You can get a smaller one for less than B200,000.

I just read an article that in the USA there has been a surge in interest in such "guest rooms" or "offices" being built in back yards/gardens.  With the Covid virus bringing families together 24/7, there seems to be a desire to "get away" in a little room detached from the house.  The article said they started around US$8k (~THB250k) and I think the cheaper ones may have been pre-fab.  I would think you could build something cheaper here in Thailand:  simple concrete slab, rendered red brick wall, corrugated roof, small bath and kitchen/living/sleeping area.

Having extra rooms/house is always a good idea... I once saw a property that had 5 separate house, and was divided out.. 1 house for bedrooms, one house had living-room another house had kitchen, etc... 

My house has a carport... w/2 rooms, currently housing 4 family members... 2 work here as gardeners/caretakers... and the main house, at the moment 3 people living here.. and I am thinking of a couple of other structures as well, for office - whatever... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agrow said:

another very cheap way is convert a couple shipping containers.

Not cheap anymore ; for just a temp building whilst building a House. 

A Rough Guide To Pricing from; CONTAINER KINGS

A bare container without anything done will start at around THB 55,000 – 100,000 (USD $1600 $3,000 depending on quality), you then need to rust proof the unit, add flooring, walls, plumbing, electrics and all the other things to turn it onto a home.

As a basic “Rough Guide” you should budget around THB 220,000 (USD $6,500) for a 20 ft container with 1 -2 standard doors and windows plus internal gypsum walls with basic electrics and water pipes and around THB 450,000 for a 40ft Home, this is a fairly good starting point.

5 hours ago, mal129 said:

You can get a one room bungalow complete with AC and bathroom, around 3 x 4 meters. They're generally referred to as knock-down houses. Not high quality but I think you'll be comfortable as temp housing.

This one is listed at B250,000. You can get a smaller one for less than B200,000.

knockdownhouse.jpg

I do like the idea of a knockdown house, but something's telling me to steer well clear, I think the potential for the thing to just rot away after a few years of sun-rain-sun-rain, whereas a bricks & mortar building might fare a little better.

3 hours ago, bodga said:

BAMBOO  HOUSE 30k last about 5  years then will need  new  roof, will be delivered in one  piece  ,  connect your own electricity , Internal area  2.4x2.4m + the outdoor  area about 1.5 x 2.4m

8a5aecc8ce3f8a4ae7e92c754130cafe.jpg

I love these, but only when I'm at the beach ????