Temporary home on our land while we build our house

2 hours ago, oobar said:

You can do that easy for under 200k.

I thought so, now for my next question; if my budget is 200k, could I get what I want but with relatively nice gables & timber framed doors & windows?

I've found this image of a place down south, I'm doubtful I could create the same for the money, but it was the best representation of what I would like mine to look like(on the outside), what are my chances?

And if this would go over my 200k budget, what would something similar to this cost? 30+smq, single room with bathroom, decent insulation and gabled roof...

out-house_1.jpg

35 minutes ago, bodga said:

Nonsense Ive  pm'd you 

while i agree in part ... there is no way he can build a 30sqm+ for what he wants. 

Try doing it upcountry .... they don't do anything for nothing .....

been there ... done that.

• Like 1

Just now, steven100 said:

while i agree in part ... there is no way he can build a 30sqm+ for what he wants. 

Try doing it upcountry .... they don't do anything for nothing .....

been there ... done that.

I've seen what he created, it's mightily impressive for the price.

• Like 1

toilet alone is around 30k ... no one can do a toilet for 20k unless you do all the work yourself.

dig a hole for the septic ?  install the plumbing ?  sink & toilet ? water tank and/or town connection ?

tiling ? painting, water proofing to the shower ?

Maidong,

What sort of land area do you have, to play with.

For me I built a shed first pretty big one , concreted half of it, built a office 1 room and on suit -  you will need a command centre on site somewhere to store building materials , machinery ,vehicles .Then I built my main house, I hate the house ,infact even today I prefer to live in my 5 mill bt shed

This all happened about 12 years ago , Come next year I will rebuild my house as back then local builders had no idea how to build a western stile home, and the fact that most of the time I was not present while construction was happening BIG NO NO you must be there .  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

there is no way you'll get anything comfortable for that ... a nice shed maybe.

the cheapest thai house runs in at 3,500-4,500 baht / sqm .... and that's a plain 2br block

You rubbish other peoples ideas, but you're contradicting yourself, you previously stated that I'd pay up to 4.5k per sqm, for a 30sqm basic bricks & mortar building I'll be paying around B135,000 - that's according to your own estimate.

2 minutes ago, OLDMANHARRY said:

Maidong,

What sort of land area do you have, to play with.

For me I built a shed first pretty big one , concreted half of it, built a office 1 room and on suit -  you will need a command centre on site somewhere to store building materials , machinery ,vehicles .Then I built my main house, I hate the house ,infact even today I prefer to live in my 5 mill bt shed

This all happened about 12 years ago , Come next year I will rebuild my house as back then local builders had no idea how to build a western stile home, and the fact that most of the time I was not present while construction was happening BIG NO NO you must be there .  

That's sort of what I'm thinking.

We currently have 1600sqm but we're going to add to that before any plans are made.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

You rubbish other peoples ideas, but you're contradicting yourself, you previously stated that I'd pay up to 4.5k per sqm, for a 30sqm basic bricks & mortar building I'll be paying around B135,000 - that's according to your own estimate.

so go build your house for 135,000 then.

I'm not rubbishing anyone's idea ... just telling you facts. 

• Like 2

Just now, steven100 said:

so go build your house for 135,000 then.

I'm not rubbishing anyone's idea ... just telling you facts. 

I'm just going by your estimate...

So if I spend 200k on a 30sqm resort-style bungalow, can you show me a photo of what I could expect to build? I honestly don't know what I can expect, or if my expectations of something in the photo I posted above are unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

a 2 bedroom ... block & tile 80sqm with standard fitting will cost around 360,000.

I don't want a 2 bed 80sqm, I'm asking about a 30sqm bungalow to use whilst the main build is happening.

Ok 1 rai , then the sheds the go 

Concrete - 1860 bt Qm lay at 125mm 

Galv steel everything poles ,roof trusses spaced 1 metre, ceilings supports 

D/con blocks use 100 x 200 x 600 all mm recommend 32 bt ea, lintals up to 2700 mm for window opening 1900 bt ea

Block cement premixed couple hundred bt per 50 kg cheap as chips

Wall rendering or charping I showed my builders how to do it properly, there is an art  

Windows be carefull here, there is <deleted> and more <deleted> available I have a good man Khon Kaen way

Roof I use only ozzy zink .047 with 30mm pu foam,best insulation you will get here .

Electrical im in the trade

I hope this helps

Harry 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

I'm just going by your estimate...

So if I spend 200k on a 30sqm resort-style bungalow, can you show me a photo of what I could expect to build? I honestly don't know what I can expect, or if my expectations of something in the photo I posted above are unrealistic.

this cost me 330k ... 35sqm. 

image.png.86d4b424e4199c617e7921ac46426e66.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OLDMANHARRY said:

Ok 1 rai , then the sheds the go 

Concrete - 1860 bt Qm lay at 125mm 

Galv steel everything poles ,roof trusses spaced 1 metre, ceilings supports 

D/con blocks use 100 x 200 x 600 all mm recommend 32 bt ea, lintals up to 2700 mm for window opening 1900 bt ea

Block cement premixed couple hundred bt per 50 kg cheap as chips

Wall rendering or charping I showed my builders how to do it properly, there is an art  

Windows be carefull here, there is <deleted> and more <deleted> available I have a good man Khon Kaen way

Roof I use only ozzy zink .047 with 30mm pu foam,best insulation you will get here .

Electrical im in the trade

I hope this helps

Harry 

I'll keep this info to hand, Harry, thanks ????

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

this cost me 330k ... 35sqm. 

image.png.86d4b424e4199c617e7921ac46426e66.png

Whilst I like this style, I wouldn't want it for myself, and I'm pretty sure all that lovely wood is bloomin expensive, what about something similar to the photo I posted at the top of this page?

4 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Whilst I like this style, I wouldn't want it for myself, and I'm pretty sure all that lovely wood is bloomin expensive, what about something similar to the photo I posted at the top of this page?

ok ... you want to build a small house around 30sqm ..... with single block you will have foundations ?

you will have material cost & labour, fixtures, fittings tiles, zincalume roof. 

The house below if it includes bathroom, electrical & fixtures will cost you around 180,000 min to 200,000.

I told you 4,500 sqm for a standard / plain block. Your house pictured is not standard and plain, it has wood window frames, it has a wood double door sliding, it has roof tiles, it is not a plain square room of standard building such as plastic bathroom door etc ....

image.png.063ffd9c95218b8411407f10cccdb066.png

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

ok ... you want to build a small house around 30sqm ..... with single block you will have foundations ?

you will have material cost & labour, fixtures, fittings tiles, zincalume roof. 

The house below if it includes bathroom, electrical & fixtures will cost you around 180,000 min to 200,000.

I told you 4,500 sqm for a standard / plain block. Your house pictured is not standard and plain, it has wood window frames, it has a wood double door sliding, it has roof tiles, it is not a plain square room of standard building such as plastic bathroom door etc ....

image.png.063ffd9c95218b8411407f10cccdb066.png

Yes, I know this isn't a standard block, I said that above already, I've moved on from that, as it seemed that my budget could stretch to something a little nicer.

Please read my previous posts in this thread, I can't keep on repeating myself to you ????

Edited by MaiDong

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

can you copy the picture  ?

The property is the one in the photo that I've already posted, I thought it might be better for people to see the whole property to get a better idea of what I'm thinking about.

• Like 1

Just now, MaiDong said:

The property is the one in the photo that I've already posted, I thought it might be better for people to see the whole property to get a better idea of what I'm thinking about.

ok ... see what others think and go from there. I'm just telling you straight.

13 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

I’ve a similar project, need to drop the existing house to rebuild a smaller better one with pool on a generous plot. (Parents old house).

I looked at large camper type vans or an old coach to convert (cheaper), just somewhere to connect aircon and relax.

I decided my best/most practical option was to build a small self contained unit on the edge of the property which will be improved and used later.

The basics, toilet/shower, living room/bedroom with old aircon unit, small tiled area outside.

Virus has stopped play for now. 

keep us updated when things get going again, I'd love to see what you do.

Maidong

I do like your choice of the yellow bungalo's , I might build one for my motorbike collection .

The structure it's self is relatively cheap say 50,000 bt ,those bi-folding windows however are 7 to 8000 bt per sq metre, I know I just put one in 6mtre x 2 mtre 84,000 bt

Suspended concrete floor I don't know why they do that here, certainly easier to get rid of show and toilet water , plumbing wise 

I think its fare to say if you are good with your hands , one can half the costs .

And yes Steven100 is right the biggest cost will be your wet areas .

27 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

10,000 baht per sq meter is a fair price for this. That is exactly about the same per sq meter quotes I have seen in already built in our rural community of Buriram. 

the bathroom is 5 star. 

Loucous from Rides 4 Kickz did a video back in May where he looked at some tiny/knockdown houses outside Bang Saen.

Two room small house delivered and installed for around 390k baht.

That might be something to consider to live in while your main house is being built then you could use it for the MIL.

• Like 1

The first thing is trying to find a reputable builder and electrician, key! Depends on you timeline, contract a commercial builder (expensive) probably more than budgeted or a local (unknown quality worksmanship)?  Depending where you live city/country/boonies all present challenges and costs.  If you find a good builder set down and refine a sketch of what you want.   Materials are up to what you want to spend depending on the level of comfort you want and labor costs. Do some hard research on your own on materials available and delivery cost, hard part.   Nail down what kind of roof, aircon, windows and blocks (super/cool blocks or ordinary,, double blocks)  My experience is to do the leg work between the builder and yourself and decide on all details/materials before agreeing and add 20% minimum to costs for a fudge factor.  Make sure you detail what you want done specifically and reinforce (through your wife if you don't speak Thai)  or else you may get extra costs, never assume.  Curtains, paint, primer, water pumps/water tanks/filters, toilets, drainage etc add up. Water is a must, do you have public well or water?   

A good point was made in a previous post about places to store construction material, something always forgotten.  Materials don't do well in the sun/rain. Depending where you live they are not delivered on demand. Prime your steel as soon as possible as it may be setting out for a bit. 

There are so many variables in your question that it is hard to nail down and answer to price.  It all depends on the level of comfort you want while building.  My experience with the first local builder on my house,  I am still correcting problems.  I live in the boonies and found a guy that is awesome, took a few years but he built our addition he is my go to now for anything.   Another piece of advice is be on site every day watching everything if possible, everything.  Even you don't know construction you have sense enough to know when something is wrong.  Build cheap with labor/materials, fix and pay constantly. 

My experience is building in the boonies. Cheers!