New York police officer suspended over apparent chokehold incident

webfact

New York police officer suspended over apparent chokehold incident

2020-06-23T014849Z_1_LYNXMPEG5M032_RTROPTP_4_MINNEAPOLIS-POLICE-NEW-YORK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Demonstrators scuffle with NYPD police officers as they try to march trough Times Square during a protest against racial inequality in the aftermath of the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, in New York City, New York, U.S. June 14, 2020. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York City police officer has been suspended after a video posted online showed him apparently rendering a Black man unconscious in a chokehold after the city council voted to make it a crime for police to use the grip.

New York City Police Commissioner Dermot Shea called the apparent chokehold incident during an arrest "disturbing" and said the officer was suspended without pay on Sunday, pending a full investigation.

Scrutiny of the police has intensified across the country in the wake of the May 25 death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, during an arrest in Minneapolis. Video showed a white officer with his knee on Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes.

At a hearing on Monday on the use of force by New York police during recent street demonstrations, Shea also criticized the insulting language used by the arrested man and two others who he said had cursed at the officers.

The officers involved had shown "extreme restraint" in the minutes leading up to the apparent chokehold, Shea said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio called the officer's response unacceptable, but told reporters he was encouraged by the swift action taken against the officer, and because another officer on the scene stepped in to stop it.

"That represents the best of our police, not letting something like that happen," de Blasio said.

Cellphone and police body-cam videos showed many officers restraining the man on his stomach and one officer wrapping his arm around the man's neck. The New York Police Department banned chokeholds in 1993.

The man was arrested for being "disorderly" and was hospitalized after briefly falling unconscious, according to his lawyers at Queens Defenders. They called on the arresting officer to be prosecuted.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Additional reporting by Jonathan Allen and Peter Szekely in New York; Editing by Angus MacSwan, Paul Simao and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-23

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

At a hearing on Monday on the use of force by New York police during recent street demonstrations, Shea also criticized the insulting language used by the arrested man and two others who he said had cursed at the officers.

The officers involved had shown "extreme restraint" in the minutes leading up to the apparent chokehold, Shea said.

Sticks and stones may break my...

Ah, screw that... I'm gonna kill you.

According to this report the detainee was wrong, so what the hell does he complaint ? Get on your knees and accept the consequences. Playing to be a man and crying like a baby doesn't match.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, Tug said:

Good they were told that’s not allowed anymore 

Only been policy since 1993 and some folk can be a bit slow on the uptake, either that or he was one of the new guys and hadn't quite learned the ropes yet. Might want to give the poor guy some slack, what with all the stress and all :dry:

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

So what now? soon, even looking at a black person "the wrong way" will be perceived "Floyd's treatment" of a black person? the only losers will be the society overall for putting the fear of being prosecuted in every law enforcement person the US...

It was a chokehold, not a nasty look! And, it's long overdue for law enforcement to realize they they ain't above the law. Fear of being prosecuted is what keeps most honest folk honest/civilized.

Edited by Dap
  • Like 2

The next step to enforce is cops shall only shoot legs or arms. If you shoot center mass you will be prosecuted. I say we hire cops with minimum wage, arm them with a whistle and a flashlight and tell them to fight crime.

• Like 1

Continue down the same path and soon cops will not do a thing but stand by and watch.

one thing I do not understand is no matter if you innocent or not but why would you resist arrest or put up a fight and then cry brutality or assault?

if detained by mistake , comply and will be released shortly once cleared up, instead they start fighting and resisting and then wonder why police get rough. What did they expect ? Cop will stand there as a punching bag taking shots in the face ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The next step to enforce is cops shall only shoot legs or arms. If you shoot center mass you will be prosecuted. I say we hire cops with minimum wage, arm them with a whistle and a flashlight and tell them to fight crime.

That's UK police perfectly described

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Mixed Martial Arts used in UFC Ultimate Fighting, chokeholds are a part of submission.

As I recall choke holds are immediately released when submission is indicated. not a choke hold held until unconscious.

15 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

And all crims will quietly hold out their hands and say 'It's a fair cop guv'.

No-one will commit any offense unless wearing a black and white hooped pullover and mask.

You and me could fix this if we were in charge.

????????

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

As I recall choke holds are immediately released when submission is indicated. not a choke hold held until unconscious.

Gotta tap out, or they will pass out as has happened.

23 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Don't anybody dare reply to me here saying that police don't need serious redirecting and re-education, and a decent percentage of them thrown as far out of law enforcement as possible.

I’m sorry but I will dare. They haven’t been educated in the first place, so they can’t be “re” educated. ????

I guess the lord master Trump and the local police offices have not done any

training and attitude adjustment of their police forces. Good Luck USA,

hope the police forces in the future are a bit less trigger happy and less

aggressive, when they are all equiped  with stuff like mace, batons and other

pieces of equipment instead of choking those poor people who insist on

protesting and then resisting arrest.

Geeer

7 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I guess the lord master Trump and the local police offices have not done any

training and attitude adjustment of their police forces. Good Luck USA,

hope the police forces in the future are a bit less trigger happy and less

aggressive, when they are all equiped  with stuff like mace, batons and other

pieces of equipment instead of choking those poor people who insist on

protesting and then resisting arrest.

Geeer

I'll bet there's a bunch of Police veterans who have enough time in to retire and will do so, being a cop is getting to be too risky. I'd think it's safer to be a criminal.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/protesters-allegedly-attack-senator-topple-statues-wisconsin-state/story?id=71421766

Kum Bah Yah America

On 6/23/2020 at 8:49 PM, stouricks said:

However, is the Chokehold allowed in WWF wrestling or All In martial arts?

There  is a slight difference between wresting for entertainment, and policing communities and protecting from crime. . 

• Like 1