My recent experience of change work visa within Thailand

I just got my BOI Visa/WP after quit previous job with ordinary Non-B/WP. I'll share everything I did, hopes could be of help to anyone since WP process in Thailand can be pretty confusing. Also cheers to BOI super smooth process but the principle should be same with general Non-B. 

Some very important notes:

First you can cancel Non-B Visa/Extension states the cancellation will effective 21 days later, eg. cancel Non-B 21 days in advance. You can also apply 7-day extension after 21 days, so totally 28 days time max of stay after you go to immigration and cancel Non-B. The 21 day count starts from the day you go to Immigration cancel Non-B, includes that day. Example if you're at Immigration cancel Non-B when June-15, you should state cancellation effective at July-5.

Second you should understand whether you could apply working Visa/WP without leaving  depending on your current Visa type. A tourist Visa, with sufficient time left, can convert to working Visa without leaving Thailand. 21 days Non-B cancellation stamp and its 7 days extension can. Non-B cannot. So the process of apply new working Visa for new job can only starts after you cancel current Non-B and WP and quit previous job.

Third if you cancel WP first then your Non-B will be voided immediately after WP cancelled. You can't apply new Visa without a valid type of stay, and you will be required to leave Thailand immediately since you have no WP and no Visa. So it is PARAMOUNT to cancel Non-B and get 21 days stamp BEFORE cancel WP. Some sources say you need cancel WP get notification than cancel Non-B - not true, I got to immigration first officers very helpful checked my Passport/WP and happily putted 21 days stamp. 

Fourth You need many support documents through the process. Better prepare everything before you leave previous job, otherwise would be too much pressure in the 21-days stay, since BOI approval usually very fast but as they said, may "up to 21 days". You need extensive support from both previous company and new company, so be sure don't on bad terms with the company/boss you're quitting...

Fifth the WP process changed this year foreigners can no longer cancel WP them selves. Only Thai people can, preferably you company HR, Boss etc. Also it is no more done in Din Daeng but at local district offices. The process can be tedious so make sure who go do it understand everything do it smoothly. If you can get WP cancelled same day after you cancelled Non-B first, you get the best time window to do new Visa/WP.

The actual documents you need to provide new company to apply BOI Visa:

1. Yearly tax report from last year(PND91, with original receipt)
2. Photo in File version (Fomal Dressed, Take off glasses, White Background)
3. Employment Verification Letter from previous company

This is to show you have work experience meets BOI's qualification. Usually you need atleast 2 years of working experience matches diploma profession/new application. For me because I quit university due to family reason and dont have fancy degrees, I was required atleast 5 years experience of same field and 1 year experience working in Thailand. Luckily I have, and my previous companies gave me sull support sent in verification letter very fast. Scanned copy of original letter(with boss signature, company seal) could do.
4. Diploma

With valid translation notarized by law firm.
5. English CV/Resume
6. Tax Number

If your previous company do your income tax online, don't forget to ask for your personal ID/passwork on Thailand tax system. 
7. Social Security Fund Number
8. Prove of Work permit cancellation
9. Prove of Visa cancellation page
10. All Photocopy of passport that Thai immigration stamped + T.M. 6 card + 90 days notification due date

Then for Immigration Non-B cancellation, you need atleast:

8.1 PND1 personal income tax report from last month.

8.2 DBD company registration documents, Boss's ID scanned

8.3 Power of Attorney letter assigned to you to cancel Non-B yourself. With duty stamps, company registration file, grantor(boss)'s ID scanned

8.4 Resignation letter states effective date 21 days later.

8.5 Copy pages of your passwort.

8.6 Your WP.

All company documents signed by Boss. All your documents signed by you.

Show this pic to your previous company HR:

598440015__20200624005523.jpg.278259419846cd9fc651d35faab182f3.jpg

Edited by Coremouse

Then for WP cancellation, pretty much the same with Non-B cancellation. Except only states in WP cancellation form you quit at the day of WP cancel, without mention 21 days later.

Refer to this PDF but note it's an old version before this year's rule change: https://thailawonline.com/images/documents/wp_cancellation.pdf My HR did some back and forth to get everything correct up to date.

Also make sure your company's HR well prepared before go to local district labour office. The process took long time and officers will throughly check the reason you quit. 

-------------------------------------

Then getting BOI Visa and WP is easiest part, if your new company's HR is good your can get new digital WP and Visa very quickly after BOI approval. It only took me 1 hour ish to get both at BOI one stop center, Chamchuri Square. 

After that the Visa/WP part is all done. I then go to nearby Police HQ to apply for background check/open SCB account/sign contract etc. but no more pressure. 

Whole process:

1. before quit previous job, prepare all documents, calculate dates. Remember tax reports may need time to get take that consideration into your schedule

2. at the same day, first cancel Non-B, then cancel WP

3. after both cancelled, have new company submit application immediately to BOI asap.

4. provide additional documents if needed

5. BOI approved, make appointment, get Visa/WP at Chamchuri Square.

That's it. Hope it could helps.

Edited by Coremouse

19 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This system is designed to discourage foreigners from working in Thailand.

It is nightmare inducing, especially contrast to how tourists visa/elite visa are low bar and easy to get.

Still, very happy with my new Visa/WP, smooth process and BOI system indeed very efficient.

• Like 1