Singha Reserve special edition

Thunder26

Today I went to my local 7/11 and I saw a new entry. Singha Reserve Special Edition sold at 72 Baht. Of course I bought a few samples to try.

It tastes sweet, very close to Ubeer, but stronger at 5.3% alcohol. 

Verdict: I liked the buzz, but I didn't like the taste. Why don't they make some more hoppier lagers? Singha seems to focus more on the sweet side rather than hops. A disappointment in my opinion. Will I buy it again? No, not at this price as the flavor does not meet the value.

Have you tried Singha Reserve? What do you think about it?

PS 

I'm not posting a picture as the Thai government has been paranoid about alcohol lately fining people and companies for posting pictures of alcohol.

Edited by Thunder26
  • Like 2

I've not tried it but I'll give it a go next time I see it. There was a beer in a blue can I bought recently called Krung Thep (brewed in Cambodia I assume to protect the monopolies). That wasn't bad and a little bit darker than normal lager. I personally prefer the beer Lao IPA and Vitus though at the moment.

Edited by alien365
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I've not tried it but I'll give it a go next time I see it. There was a beer in a blue can I bought recently called Krung Thep (brewed in Cambodia I assume to protect the monopolies). That wasn't bad and a little bit darker than normal lager. I personally prefer the beer Lao IPA and Vitus though at the moment.

Krung Thep has great bitter taste to it, however I was disappointed with Beer Lao IPA. It's not real IPA, it brings just a hint of IPA. Nevertheless it's very drinkable. It's still much better than anything brewed on a large scale in Thailand.

I was surprised trying Krung Thep and thought this is the best Thai beer, until reading the can- from Cambodia. Pity it's 65 baht for a small can, surely they should not be pricing it out of the market as they are both in Asean? Can you get this in Cambodia, how much is it there? 10x better that the usual Thai beers, althought Cheers riceberry is good.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

I'm not really a beer drinker, but that one is the best that is available in Thailand, in its price range.

I think it can compete with Lao dark, though that would be double the price for the same volume

Cheers Riceberry is a great alternative, however Lao Dark is on another level. It's way better ????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thunder26 said:

Krung Thep has great bitter taste to it, however I was disappointed with Beer Lao IPA. It's not real IPA, it brings just a hint of IPA. Nevertheless it's very drinkable. It's still much better than anything brewed on a large scale in Thailand.

True, I liked the floral aftertaste though. As you know there's little to no aftertaste of the main beers here. While on topic I don't suppose anyone knows which supermarkets sell Estrella Damm, preferably an Inedit? I don't live near a tops, villa, gourmet market or foodland so i can't have a quick look myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

They should make riceberry a bit stronger like cheers extra, of course not popular with Thais, they prefer disgusting and tastelss Leo

I think Thais don't have enough alternative at the low price range. So they choose to drink the best out of the worst. It seems Leo is the leader. Chang is trying hard to overthrow Leo by pushing its draught beer almost everywhere and for a lower price.

I think that both beers are boring. However I don't mind them when they are on tap. Being fresh it is much better.

I wish Cheers Ricebery was stronger. It could've been a hit.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:49 PM, VocalNeal said:

U beer seems to have disappeared. Replaced? by M beer.

Sadly to hear, but Lotus is my friend. Me as German and BVB Dortmund 09 Fan have a nice relation to the Dortmunder Union Brewery and the U sign is still on top of the roof of one of the biggest German indoor hall Westfalenhalle.

Don't know they have the license for that sign at Singha brewery, I don't mind.

I like the U-Beer because of the higher content of roasted malt. This make it even less bitter, what other people let think it is more sweet. My friend drink the My Beer, because his club is Schalke 04 and that means Blue White instead of Black Yellow

At home impossible but here in Thailand we are both from the Ruhrpott ????

On 6/26/2020 at 1:10 AM, MayPutThai said:

Sadly to hear, but Lotus is my friend. Me as German and BVB Dortmund 09 Fan have a nice relation to the Dortmunder Union Brewery and the U sign is still on top of the roof of one of the biggest German indoor hall Westfalenhalle.

Don't know they have the license for that sign at Singha brewery, I don't mind.

I like the U-Beer because of the higher content of roasted malt. This make it even less bitter, what other people let think it is more sweet. My friend drink the My Beer, because his club is Schalke 04 and that means Blue White instead of Black Yellow

At home impossible but here in Thailand we are both from the Ruhrpott ????

Less bitter, means less quality in my book. I don't want to drink sweet drinks like soda. That's wrong beer.

• 3 years later...

I have just bought 3 boxes of Reserve because Chang 4.8 had become so disappointing.

What a fool.

I am drinking sugar water.

I also drink Leo already, but want another alternative and don't like the Heineken price for an average beer, so next time what?

Yes please Beer Laos, but it should not be 70B for a small bottle.  ASEAN trade agreements anyone?