Thailand eyes opening borders to those from Australia, NZ, Japan, Taiwan and some Chinese cities

webfact

Did blabber mouth Anutin actually consult with these countries? In Australia Qantas has just announced it is grounding most of its international fleet including all A380's for at least another year, its clearly not expecting borders to open up until June 2021 in any meaningful way.

• Like 2

This is encouraging and reasonable rationale. Folk find fault at the drop of a hat on this forum.

If all goes well, the strategy will open up. And I should be able to return in early September (got back to Sydney this week) as a part time resident with a delightful partner, though not yet married.

As long as ScoMo breaks ranks with Jacinda and grows some.

• Haha 1

It's not simply Thailand making travel 'bubbles' bi-laterally. All countries in the bubble must agree to participants. 

For example if Thailand makes such an agreement with an 'at risk' country then other countries might not want their tourists 'mixing' with them in Thailand. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry Steven. Your hero and his military cronies and bought and paid for ministers aren't that smart or intellectual.

I would actually figure one of the criteria should be the place of where you are coming from and the days spent there being over 14 days.. Now that makes perfect sense.

The discussion was about how you can enforce to ban someone from Chinese City A and allow someone from Chinese City B.

Assuming there is free movement in China, tell me how you would do that?

Edited by CLS

Every resident of China has to register at the local Public Safety Bureau. So it will be easy to control which city someone is coming from. This could be done by airline check-in agents before the person is allowed to fly, so no language barrier. Just like the airlines have controlled for visas and/or proof of onward travel for years.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Makes sense to open up borders with Oz & NZ. Oz has very little infections and NZ got rid of all infections a few days ago, but now they have about 13 again.

30  new cases in  Victoria today, many from returning os travel

4 hours ago, CLS said:

I think so too. By residence makes more sense, but is not feasible.

Imagine you have to bring along a residence certificate.

Do you have to translate it first or does the IO have to learn all the languages out there? Let alone if it’s not even written with Roman letters.

By port of embarkation is not feasible either, because too easy to circumvent.

Assuming that only a low single digit percentage of the world population don’t live there where their passports are issued, makes the place of issue quite accurate to be used as differentiator.

Not any more. For both UK and Ireland, passports are all issued centrally - even if you have not been 'home' for many years - in my case over 30 years since I have been in Ireland and over a year for the UK

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

So people from Laos (19 Wuhan flu cases, no deaths) are still barred from entering Thailand.  Why?

I have same question re Cambodia which has had no local transmission for about 2 months now (and likely better surveillance/record keeping than Laos)

However I think the issue of travel from other ASEAN countries is being handled separately through talks within ASEAN.

5 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I thought Australians were barred from leaving the country and New Zealand too.

I'm already planning a couple of trips to Spain and Germany this summer, no chance of getting back to Thailand before Q4.

No ban in NZ on leaving! Or entering if you are resident.

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

30  new cases in  Victoria today, many from returning os travel

Yes, they've called in the army to help out and have requested help from other states. With such a massive infestation who could blame them? The media of course is calling it a 2nd wave and screaming for new lock down and building new hospitals amid fears that millions will die. The country of Croc Dundee we aint...

• Haha 1

Another laughable Thai scheme. Power and control. Guess what nobody is interested in your stupid bubble. Dream old timer. DREAM. Nobody is going to be told where and what they can do. Especially not by fools. China in the bubble with healthy westerners.. ????????????

The bubble of disease 

Edited by tomauasia

41 minutes ago, CLS said:

The discussion was about how you can enforce to ban someone from Chinese City A and allow someone from Chinese City B.

Assuming there is free movement in China, tell me how you would do that?

This was only a partial answer for the entire problem. It would allow people from countries say like the USA to go to another 100% safe cleared country that has not banned foreigners, then do the wait for virus free 14days+ and then transit on to Thailand. As for the Chinese city to city conundrum pulling the wool over the Thai officials eyes, I would say that it has to be a direct flight from their cleared city or direct connecting flight to a city that is cleared and must be with a translated registered home address into Thai or English by an officially registered translator. 

But honestly I don't trust the Chinese or their government since years ago doing business with them and then watching their on-stage worldly movements and then they are always crying foul as that they are being singled out and attacked, persecuted or misunderstood. All the while they are stomping on countries rights and territories and undermining world economies all for their onw little gains. 

But I do believe their CV19 numbers are not true and that they should not be allowed and open to travel without extra proof they are in-fact healthy and virus free to enter Thailand.

• Like 1

Maybe they look at the visa status of your passoprt if u wan to travel to Australia or New Zealand  to see that you have actualy been here more than say 2 months so u are not a risk person

everybody coming back into thailand is being tested or have quarentine .

so if u are a foreigner and have been in thailand long time maybe u can go to the designated countries 

we see what they cook up in the next few days 

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Some Chinese cities?

So Beijing is experiencing problems with Corvid, fly/drive into another city & catch a flight here?

Trusted Thailand !

You make it sound like Beijing is in real problem with crows. However, according to worldometers there were 12 new cases yesterday in the whole of China - 109th highest....

13 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

No tourist* was or will be stuck in Thailand.

The bans are for entering Thailand only.

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

? There were thousands of tourists stuck in Thailand when this first kicked off. Flights cancelled, no money and waiting for their government to provide repatriation flights

8 hours ago, jimmjam said:

"No tourist was stuck in thailand"??

Tell that to the tourists who had flights cancelled multiple times when this first started.

Ok, on the very first days maybe, but most countries quickly organised rapatriement flights for their citizens, and most tourists still in Thailand now are there because they chose to stay there... IMHO

For which country can't you find a way to fly in from Thailand ?

• Like 1

Well wow, opening borders. Italy did the same some time ago. Their problem? Covid? Nope.. missing tourists. Only a few Europeans are traveling to Italy.

How about Thailand? The Thais are afraid of the hordes of tourists, but I think there will be a short spike of us returning to our families to Thailand. Then it will be quiet. I guess.

Days of paperwork to get a permit to fly to your family via the Thai embassy, 10-11 hour flight to Thailand, then 2 weeks in quarantine.

Nope. It's 30 degrees here in Northern Europe, and things are quiet and safe.

• Like 2