State of emergency set to be extended through July

snoop1130

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I never said the ED had been cancelled Bill, It was approved on 29th March and so far as I am aware has been amended 9 times, the last one being on the 18th June which included some relaxations.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/news3-20200618-095925-060442.pdf

So far each month it has been extended and personally I do not see a problem with that as it means all changes come from a central source, how that will transpire going forward only time will tell.

I am not particularly concerned about the past, I lived through it and moved on, it is the future that counts. Every country in the world has divided opinion on their government but that is a separate debate. At this point in time the critical measurement should be if the virus been brought under control or not.

Many that are critical of the Thai government would prefer to forget that it was military power that gave birth to the first US president or remember that Andrew Jackson, also a military commander, was a great advocate of slavery, stole land from the Indians and introduced the Indian Removal Act.

Everywhere has skeletons, just that some are older than others. 

It seems to me that extending the ED boils down to Prayuth and I have to assume that he is taking in advice from the medical experts and possibly they are consulting with other experts world wide. It is down to Prayuth, playing as a one man band as to whether the ED gets extended or not. 

The ED to him is like S44. It gives him unlimited power and nobody can argue with him. He can extend the ED ad infinitum and there isn't much that anybody can do about it.

My skeleton is 76 years young and crumbling in a few places. :sorry:

• Like 2

Why is everyone so upset about how this government is controlling this COVID-19? You are living in their country. Move back to your country if you do not like how they do things. 

Now that they are lifting restrictions to prevent the second wave, I wish they didn’t for another 3 months to seal the spread. It’s not like we can go to another country anyway. Europe and USA is still dealing with it and most of the surrounding countries many of you don’t or haven’t been since you put foot on this soil have visit. They still dealing with it. 

So if you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything. 

• Sad 2

On 6/27/2020 at 6:41 PM, billd766 said:

It seems to me that extending the ED boils down to Prayuth and I have to assume that he is taking in advice from the medical experts and possibly they are consulting with other experts world wide. It is down to Prayuth, playing as a one man band as to whether the ED gets extended or not. 

The ED to him is like S44. It gives him unlimited power and nobody can argue with him. He can extend the ED ad infinitum and there isn't much that anybody can do about it.

My skeleton is 76 years young and crumbling in a few places. :sorry:

The military junta came to an end in July 2019 so this government is still in nappies. The ED, amendments and extensions require approval from the 20 cabinet ministers, so hardly a one man show.

You may well be right in some respects Bill, the government system is based on the UK, a system that is falling apart so one can hardly blame the Thais. We are well aware from the situation over there how one man can be quite influential, but it is up to the Thai people, without Thai citizenship you have no say in the matter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The military junta came to an end in July 2019 so this government is still in nappies. The ED, amendments and extensions require approval from the 20 cabinet ministers, so hardly a one man show.

You may well be right in some respects Bill, the government system is based on the UK, a system that is falling apart so one can hardly blame the Thais. We are well aware from the situation over there how one man can be quite influential, but it is up to the Thai people, without Thai citizenship you have no say in the matter. 

Morning Sandy. It is true that the military junta officially came to and end in July 2019 but most of the people who ran it before are still in power and even the PM is not elected from the party with the most seats.

However it doesn't seem to matter if the ED, amendments and extensions require approval from the 20 cabinet ministers, because if the un-elected PM disagrees with them it simply won't happen, so is effectively a one man show.

I know that without Thai citizenship I have no say in the matter but my wife, family and Thai friends can have a say. In this little corner of paradise, many of the people are not happy with the current government.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

What kind of nonsense is this?People are allowed to say something only if you like it?You should study what freedom of speech is.

Sounds like you should move to North Korea, it's the perfect place for people with your mindset.

Maybe that poster is someone originally from North Korea or China as they don't understand free speech.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:42 AM, Truth Will Set You Free said:

Why is everyone so upset about how this government is controlling this COVID-19? You are living in their country. Move back to your country if you do not like how they do things. 

Now that they are lifting restrictions to prevent the second wave, I wish they didn’t for another 3 months to seal the spread. It’s not like we can go to another country anyway. Europe and USA is still dealing with it and most of the surrounding countries many of you don’t or haven’t been since you put foot on this soil have visit. They still dealing with it. 

So if you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything. 

You are not shutting me up, to voice my opinion about anything in this country!

If I would be in any other country, I would criticize all the same, if I deem things to be stupid or wrong or straight up lies!

I am sick and tired of people like you, telling people like me to "eat up and shut up"!

I suggest, you yourself would shut up, if you wish the people in your "host nation" to suffer another 3 months, without work or even the hope of improvement!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Morning Sandy. It is true that the military junta officially came to and end in July 2019 but most of the people who ran it before are still in power and even the PM is not elected from the party with the most seats.

However it doesn't seem to matter if the ED, amendments and extensions require approval from the 20 cabinet ministers, because if the un-elected PM disagrees with them it simply won't happen, so is effectively a one man show.

I know that without Thai citizenship I have no say in the matter but my wife, family and Thai friends can have a say. In this little corner of paradise, many of the people are not happy with the current government.

When it comes to control by the unelected Bill, there is nothing more corrupt than the 'Cummings Circus' currently performing in the UK, every situation has to be seen in perspective.

As I said before, there will always be differences of opinion regarding the government and hopefully it won't get as bad as the protests of previous years. Once the pandemic is in the rear view mirror and the next election comes around the people will get to decide. How that election is conducted will give us an insight to the way forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

When it comes to control by the unelected Bill, there is nothing more corrupt than the 'Cummings Circus' currently performing in the UK, every situation has to be seen in perspective.

As I said before, there will always be differences of opinion regarding the government and hopefully it won't get as bad as the protests of previous years. Once the pandemic is in the rear view mirror and the next election comes around the people will get to decide. How that election is conducted will give us an insight to the way forward.

I don't know that much about the "Cummings Circus' in the UK  and I do trust the UK government more than the Thai government which isn't saying very much about either of then.

At least Boris' lot are doing something about Brexit while floundering around over Covid unlike the current lot in Thailand who really have no idea what to do next.

In a way I hope that the baht will sink slowly (faster would be nicer) against the RoW currencies.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't know that much about the "Cummings Circus' in the UK  and I do trust the UK government more than the Thai government which isn't saying very much about either of then.

At least Boris' lot are doing something about Brexit while floundering around over Covid unlike the current lot in Thailand who really have no idea what to do next.

In a way I hope that the baht will sink slowly (faster would be nicer) against the RoW currencies.

I agree. I try to start the day by looking at the exchange rates to cheer me. It isn't working! Just the opposite. Thailand's elite must loving it and on a spending spree, buying up property and goods from abroad. While the Thai riff suffer.????

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 12:22 PM, billd766 said:

Will have to agree to disagree on that Bill, can't see how you can trust a government that claims it will do all it can for ex-service, and then denies a full state pension.

the Thai government hasn't been in office for a year yet so a bit early to pass judgement but they have done better than most on handling the crisis.

The UK is a shambolic hotpotch of four different approaches, without the ED what sort of mess would there be here with 77 provinces.

Went down to Laem Sing for a couple of days, not much different to a normal weekday in the low season. About the only thing of note was the lady at the beach bar left the bottle of beer to open myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Will have to agree to disagree on that Bill, can't see how you can trust a government that claims it will do all it can for ex-service, and then denies a full state pension.

the Thai government hasn't been in office for a year yet so a bit early to pass judgement but they have done better than most on handling the crisis.

The UK is a shambolic hotpotch of four different approaches, without the ED what sort of mess would there be here with 77 provinces.

Went down to Laem Sing for a couple of days, not much different to a normal weekday in the low season. About the only thing of note was the lady at the beach bar left the bottle of beer to open myself.

TBH Sandy I really don't trust the UK or the Thai government that much but there isn't anything I can do about it.

I trust the UK a bit more because at least they were legally elected and know a damn sight more that the people who are running Thailand.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

TBH Sandy I really don't trust the UK or the Thai government that much but there isn't anything I can do about it.

I trust the UK a bit more because at least they were legally elected and know a damn sight more that the people who are running Thailand.

Again Bill, I would be of the opinion that the Thai government would have a far better idea of running Thailand than Cummings would, and I can't remember Dominic Cummings ever being elected far less legally, but as you say not a lot any of us can do about it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, billd766 said:

And that is why it has the highest death rate throughout Europe.

Theres no pandemic in Thailand with only  58 deaths. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1