State of emergency set to be extended through July

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

There are bound to be a few Covid cases in a "second wave". Perfect excuse for the Government to close everything again.

Totally agree!

There are bound to be reoccuring  cases everywhere in the world hopefully less  infectious  regardless in the future.

Applying that equation if all governments think that lockdown or very limited travel is the only option like Thailand does way no ones going to be going anywhere and its time to give up or make surely you really want to be where are you are ( taking into account health services etc )

Once you taste absolute power, as Prayut enjoyed under section 44, it is very difficult to have to go back to persuading people to do things, instead of ordering them. We seem to be headed for a 'democratic' government with permanent emergency powers? One wonders how this is different than a dictatorship, having said that, Prayut has done a wonderful job with he coronavirus and credit where it is due. I'm less sure about him having emergency powers forever. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, the membership of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade has decreased greatly with a lot of their members moving to the "scared of your own shadow" brigade instead. ????

(If you don't like it, go home) now considerd a racist statement in most countrys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The committee on lockdown easing will ask the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) to extend the state of emergency until the end of July, National Security Council secretary-general Gen Somsak Rungsita said today.

You can educate ignorance, medicate insanity but there is no cure for stupid.  This is a nation of 70 million people and a total of 56 deaths from COVID which is almost exactly the number killed in traffic fatalities each and every day in Thailand.  But one event, Covid requires a State of Emergency and the other is just oh ho hum.  If you want to kill people, just keep them locked up and with no tourists to support their business and watch them commit suicide or starve to death. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I am sorry you one of the Prayut clan as well

The opposite.

I hope their era is coming to an end soon.

But I accept the existence of contrary opinions and beliefs. For me a different opinion is no justification for intimidation.

18 hours ago, Ranshoko said:

Makes good sense

one month. Australian are in lockdown until next year. No flights in or out of the country. Foolishly my friend went back and is seething to get away, so we won't be able to meet up until next year. 

I hope to be heading to Penang when Malaysian boarders are open. 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Who does it make good sense to, and for what reason, other than extra power and control to the government.

Word is why not who.

I have no trouble with the lockdown, what's your problem. Beer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Folks, remember that the state of emergency doesn't restrict or ban anything.  What it does is to allow the government to react quickly and decisively (and hopefully correctly) when the need arises.

I'm instinctively opposed to it, but look at the number of cases here compared to our home "free" countries.  It has worked.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think you were joking or being facetious. Right? But, nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country", or "if you don't like it go home".

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

And as far as the racist statement goes, who cares about PC? I sure do not. I am not in any way racist, but thin skin is so unappealing. People are offended by anything, these days, and it means little to nothing to me. 

Correct. Its a case of you go your way I'll go mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

If you want to kill people, just keep them locked up and with no tourists to support their business and watch them commit suicide or starve to death

Or more likely turn on the dirty Ferangs who obviously brought the plague here and created this hell for them. The writing is on the wall so beware.

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

<Deleted> told you, anyone who still thinks this is about the virus, that has not appeared for 31 days, is delusional ! 

Control, control and more control !

I'll second that!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Do you seriously think any of this has at any time anything to do with your well being.

Gimme a break.

Well the UK,USA were very slow on taking preventative measures, now look at them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1