looking at buying a used Automatic Pick up truck

rumak

Whatever you decide try to find out if the vehicle has been maintained properly. Speaking of my experience with 7 family (in laws) members moto or car. Maintenance? Nope. drive them till they drop....

Nephew ( he ran his moto in the ground)talked his Aunt into using an extra moto she has.. in new condition. I was driving through the village

one day saw the moto parked in front of clinic. A couple days later asked

wife... she calls him why is moto at Dr. Clinic. Oh it broke down 12,000 baht to repair.. I warned her.. 

7 hours ago, bodga said:

not  with 4  doors, space  cab would  be fine though, also yearly  road  tax  is  a  lot  more with 4  door than space  cab, I  know  many arent fans  of Chevrolet  but you can pick up an 18-19  plate  auto spacecab for 370k or  less still with a year or  two manufacturer  guarantee https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/chevrolet/colorado?page_number=3&page_size=25&sort=registered_year.desc

Got a 2012 Vigo 4 door from new. First road tax was Bht 7000, now it is Bht 6500. How much do you want to save by having, what I consider, an unsafe vehicle in the event of a smash. How do you get out of the back?

• Haha 1

All the Japanese trucks are pretty good so it may come down to personal preferences .. one thing to look out for though in 2nd hand is chassis corrosion that if severe can lead to it to fold or snap .. most of these trucks have box section chassis made up of steel pressings jigged and welded together .. if water enters the box section without being able to drain the chassis begins rusting .. particularly vulnerable is the area between the cargo bed and back of cab .. Nissan had to recall some of their Navarro trucks because of this problem .. 

The bottom pic shows what happens when overloaded with a rust weakened chassis .. 

IMG_20200627_074407.jpg

IMG_20200627_075752.jpg

• Haha 2

Just now, Justgrazing said:

All the Japanese trucks are pretty good so it may come down to personal preferences .. one thing to look out for though in 2nd hand is chassis corrosion that if severe can lead to it to fold or snap .. most of these trucks have box section chassis made up of steel pressings jigged and welded together .. if water enters the box section without being able to drain the chassis begins rusting .. particularly vulnerable is the area between the cargo bed and back of cab .. Nissan had to recall some of their Navarro trucks because of this problem .. 

The bottom pic shows what happens when overloaded with a rust weakened chassis .. 

IMG_20200627_074407.jpg

IMG_20200627_075752.jpg

nothin wrong as far as i can see.  its just one of those M******* trucks with the hydrolic lifts

4 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

IMG_20200627_074407.jpg

IMG_20200627_075752.jpg

for pickups in Asia with broken backs, the issue more an overloading than corrosion often with pickups that carry a load a suspension stiffener is added (commonly an air bag) that puts the load point onto part of the chassis that was never designed for it and the result is a broken back.

17 hours ago, rumak said:

but now maybe interested in Mitsubishi or Mazda models.

So you don't want to buy a Ford, but you're considering buying a Mazda BT-50 which has chassis, engine, and technology from Ford?

Personally I own a Ford Wildtrak from 2017 which has been flawless, with almost 60,000 km.
Before I bought it, I tested Toyotas and Mitsubishis, (I don't like Isuzu or Mazda), and the ride was very bumpy and stiff, if you are looking for a workhorse, these fit perfectly if you want an everyday car, go for a Ford.

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, rumak said:

At first thought only of Toyota or Izuzu,

I would go for Toyota Smart cab if no need a family truck. I owned a D-cab in the US for 11 years. I replaced only one upper oxygen sensor at 90,000 miles. Easy to maintain (I did all by myself even tranny fluid every 40,000 miles). They simply “die hard“ and the chance that you get a bad apple is lower than others. If you buy a used one just don’t forget to replace transmission fluid and differential oil soon.   

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

I just booked a 2020 Toyota Rocco, I want to be able to sell it in a few years , and I know , Toyo and Honda get good resale value

2.4 or 2.8 engine 2 or 4 wheel drive ? 2.8  turbo charged with 204bhp is my favourite pickup and is on my to get list . Friend had one and I was very impressed with the power especially in turbo mode , also a good ride , good to look at without being ostentatious .Do you know what the service intervals are ?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, rumak said:

A more modern truck with automatic transmission.     In my interest are now    isuzu,  mitsu  .........  hoping they have a smoother ride than

the toyota i tried.       It is very difficult to find a good used auto spacecab (2 door) 

"It is very difficult to find a good used auto spacecab (2 door)"

There's 83 auto Spacecabs listed here for starters...https://www.one2car.com/en/used-cars-for-sale/isuzu/d-max/space cab (ปี 11-17)?transmission=automatic

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Got a 2012 Vigo 4 door from new. First road tax was Bht 7000, now it is Bht 6500. How much do you want to save by having, what I consider, an unsafe vehicle in the event of a smash. How do you get out of the back?

Passengers are not supposed to be carried in the back of an extended cab (2-door) pickup, why would you be there?

Edited by Bob A Kneale

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Why would you be in the back of an extended cab pickup (2-door), passengers are not supposed to be carried there.

I know and you know that passengers are not supposed to be carried there, but there is a bench seat in most of them and T I T.

My recommendation is to have whatever one you decide to buy gone over completely by that brands dealership. Thai people on average have no concept of preventative maintenance. So there is a good chance if it is only a couple of years old that it has never had the oil changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:
5 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Why would you be in the back of an extended cab pickup (2-door), passengers are not supposed to be carried there.

I know and you know that passengers are not supposed to be carried there, but there is a bench seat in most of them and T I T.

I know that, I know that you know that and I know that this is Thailand but the OP is not Thai so why would you think that he would need to get out of the back?!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

I know that, I know that you know that and I know that this is Thailand but the OP is not Thai so why would you think that he would need to get out of the back?!

Sorry Bob, my misuse of English. I should have said 'How do passengers, (meaning the person or persons, which could be up to 5 in there) get out of the back.''

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"It is very difficult to find a good used auto spacecab (2 door)"

There's 83 auto Spacecabs listed here for starters...https://www.one2car.com/en/used-cars-for-sale/isuzu/d-max/space cab (ปี 11-17)?transmission=automatic

https://www.one2car.com/en/used-cars-for-sale/mitsubishi/triton/mega cab (ปี 14-19)/thailand_northern-region?transmission=automatic&body_type=Pickup  

Try that one  .........

On 6/27/2020 at 3:07 PM, superal said:

2.4 or 2.8 engine 2 or 4 wheel drive ? 2.8  turbo charged with 204bhp is my favourite pickup and is on my to get list . Friend had one and I was very impressed with the power especially in turbo mode , also a good ride , good to look at without being ostentatious .Do you know what the service intervals are ?

turbo Mode ?

I don't think the turbo has a switch to turn it off or on !!

4 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

I am,  but in my region.    also one2car is basically vehicles from dealers...... I would not trust them

I would only buy from an individual,  preferably one owner farang.    i did find the site bahtsold which has a lot of trucks from farangs .......... but once again almost all are far away from CM , mostly pattaya or phuket and trang.

thanks for you input

On 6/27/2020 at 2:37 AM, HauptmannUK said:

The 2020 Mazda BT50 is basically a re-worked Isuzu. However all Mazda BT50 up to 2020 are basically a Ford Ranger in drag. So maybe discount the Mazda on the basis of your aversion to Ford.

The Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Toyota all use a very similar Aisin 6-speed auto box. Obviously engines are on't think the OP is looking to wait untildifferent. The Isuzu is just 1.9 litres - feels like it struggles a little at times. The Isuzu interior also has a somewhat spartan feel.  The Mitsubishi has the best handling, in my opinion.  Wife's younger brother has a 5 year old Hilux, about 100k km, and it feels remarkable tight. Its been trouble-free. I'd be choosing between Mitsi and Toyota.

Your post gives me the impression that you maybe haven't owned a pickup before, so I'm not sure what your expectations might be. They are popular in Thailand because they are classed as a working vehicle and therefore sales tax is lower than for a passenger car. Buyers therefore get a lot more metal for their money. 

The snag is that they all use archaic cart-sprung rear suspension and you're dragging that big load bed around all the time - mostly empty. With the load bed empty the ride can be a bit rough and bouncy. Handling is also a bit wayward and unsophisticated.  The size also makes driving in confined areas a PITA.  On the plus side they stand up well to Thailand's rough road surfaces and less liable to get in to trouble during a flood.

Don't think the OP is looking to wait until 2026 to make his purchase.

Sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

On 6/27/2020 at 5:53 AM, Don Mega said:

Ranger Single cab SWB has coil spring rear end.

AFAIK only some of the newer models (2019 I think) with the new 2L engines have coil spring rear end. 

As for the auto transmission, at least with Toyota and Ford - only the higher end 4 doors are available with auto transmission.

I own a 2013 ranger 4 doors auto. Nice and pretty comfortable ride, long distance as well. Holds nice and stable on the roads. However parts are expensive and services is pretty sh*t

4 hours ago, superal said:

oh yes it has, close to the auto gear change handle to the right 

Sports mode for the Gearbox I would imagine, you don't turn turbo on off. Or maybe its been chipped and has a Turbo boost mode??

7 hours ago, Don Mega said:

The 2 SWB models are 100% coil sprung rear suspension.

I think I've only seen 1 or 2 of those on the road. Regualr models should get a coil spring option as a lot of people rarely load them up to any degree. 

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

I think I've only seen 1 or 2 of those on the road. Regualr models should get a coil spring option as a lot of people rarely load them up to any degree. 

They are a good thing and I see them occasionally on the road, unfortunately they are not available on the "supplier discount" list I'am eligible for  otherwise I'd already have one, spoke to my mate at Ford to see if I could get one through the "family and friends" discount that Ford employees can get.... no dice there either... allegedly there is not a lot of fat in the price hence no discounts.