Don’t put profit before safety by allowing foreign tourists to return to Thailand too soon, warns doctor

rooster59

2 hours ago, ExpatOne said:

Social distancing is already forgotten. At the mall groups of people hanging out. People pulling tables together that are meant to be separated. People waiting in line as usual.

Then we have the people making good not wearing masks and not washing their hands after exchanging money. It’s a mess. I hope they don’t open up to tourists anytime soon because all it takes is a few people to slip by and this place will look like America or Brazil.

But that is exactly what the Thais are like.They have never socially distanced.

Thailand dodged a bullet for reasons that science will discover in the future. It certainly has not been through skilled management of the virus.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

Sssssssure, a Thai doctor working in a Hospital is just dumb and ignorant and "too rich" to realise the problems about his fellow Thai citizens. You on the other hand, are the current expert and finely tuned in with the citizens of your beloved new home country.

Nice touch to suggest "these people" (doctors who are battling corona?) should be stripped of their money. classy!

Can't make this sheet up. 

well, I have not seen many "unemployed" workers advocate for a continued closing of business in the USA.  It is only the journalists, medical experts and some politicians who continue to draw their same salaries (and mostly work from home).

I give you 10:1 odds that this is the same in Thailand, Europe etc...

I got a haircut yesterday and the lady washing my hair was terrified of the possibility that barbers etc would have to close again as she had been without income for more than 2 months - and we are talking about workers barely above minimum wage who do not have millions in the bank.  Talk to these affected workers and you will understand what happens in the general population (not the crowd you see on TV)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

So back to a question I asked earlier, how are the people out of work, with no food, and soon to be homeless going to be able to survive?  Something's got to give and it's not the TH gov't sitting on a pile of foreign reserves.

I'd love to hear all the great answers from those saying keep the economy closed.

Spot on - the same issue in every country... 

And there is never an answer as the advocates for continued closures are people who are rich or continue to draw their salary (politicians, doctors, journalists) or retired people who still get a pension (forgetting that the government will not be able to pay indefinitely without revenue either).

Below an interview with Merkel - while the US President doesn't have much credibility, the German Chancellor should be listened to.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/26/for-europe-survive-economy-needs-survive-angela-merkel-interview-in-full

On 6/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, tomacht8 said:

Another fearful harp player who plays the apocalypse. The virus is there, but far from the end of the world. Instead of destructive hysteria, it is better to think about solutions. 

And the hysterics are mostly those who don't suffer economically, like this doctor.

The solution of the Philippines for the revival of tourism, I find a good solution. Not unnecessarily long quarantine times.

And if the countries or the airlines could still agree on a quick test before departure, as is currently practiced in Austria, it would be even better.

The task is to find a good balance between security and economy.

Screenshot_2020-06-27_185313.jpg

I like your Philippines reference chart. I have been trying to fly to Manila internationally on Japan Airlines and Cathay Pacific airlines but the Philippines government is not allowing foreigners fly into Manila unless you are married to a Filipino. Thus your Philippines Airlines chart confuses me. Do you know any nonmarried expats that have been allowed to fly to Manila?  If yes please pm me as I need to get back to Manila ASAP. 

As for the old men who are for the lockdown, there are many people unemployed and hungry and cannot pay their bills. Personally I would unlock the world and let the virus take its course. Just like we allow people to drive and buy alcohol and smoke and make their own decisions about their health. The virus is not that deadly unless you are old and weak. The rest of us should be free to take the chance of the virus and go back to work. 

Edited by Wake Up
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Finally someone who is mentioning the "protests" - I was wondering whether I was the only one in the country seeing an increase in cases happening in mid-June after watching the protests without masks, distancing etc in the USA, Europe, Australia at the beginning of the month (Houston - big spike, and also a funeral with singing, no masks, crowded church etc etc)

In Miami, the mayor closed the beaches for July 4th weekend - but demonstrations are allowed.  Nobody can explain why it is more dangerous being outside on the beach with much more distance than being outside in a protest without distancing and no masks being required (or enforced - technically, in Miami you have to wear a mask, if closer than 6 feet to someone else)

Flattening the curve was supposed to protect hospital capacity, which it has done in the USA - it never was supposed to prevent every single infection (but that seems to have become the goal)

It seems the purpose is to destroy the economy - not actually "save" anyone from this virus.  The protests help destroy the economy - so are permitted?  Either the protesters "want to kill grandma," or the shutdown was pointless.  It can only be one or the other.

12 hours ago, BestB said:

Would it be too hard to have the new normal of covid test prior to arrival or on arrival ? Add extra $200 to the ticket price. People get tested on either side, airlines back in business, countries back in business, pharma companies making billions and labs making a nice profit .

Why do you think people agree to undergo all these tests to come to Thailand for tourism putposes?

44 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

But that is exactly what the Thais are like.They have never socially distanced.

Yes, but the people at those tables may be families together anyway.  It is silly when my wife and I have to sit meters apart when we go somewhere - eat at different tables, etc.  If those people will be close elsewhere, "socially distancing" in public changes nothing.  Keeping strangers apart is the only logical reason for it.

44 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Thailand dodged a bullet for reasons that science will discover in the future. It certainly has not been through skilled management of the virus.

My working-theory, is they called the deaths "pnumonia" when the virus was initially-spreading from the Chinese New Year visitors, when there was no testing.   Most who die from this virus are very sick or very old (average-age of covid-mortality is above the average age of death), so would not seem like "unusual deaths".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Why do you think people agree to undergo all these tests to come to Thailand for tourism putposes?

A nose-swab twice?  Sure.  We take off our shoes, get felt-up by strangers, and get naked-x-rayed, in some countries.  I'll take a nose-swab over that any day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

The U.K. does not have a reciprocal agreement with Thailand if they did my OAP would be increased each year you have also failed to mention the   $100,000 insurance policy stating you are covered for Covid 19 plus the medical certificate requirement no older than 72 hours before you depart stating you are Covid 19 free of the infection . BA cancelled my wife’s July flight back to Thailand so it seems a no go for at least a month or two.

If you had a registered address in the UK you would get your OAP increase, travel insurance covers covid once the UK Gov lifts the travel ban, but not for flight cancellations only for medical, the reciprocal agreement is for quarantine free travel only other requirements may have to be followed, the full details have not yet been ironed out. My comments were supposed to help and not give false information. "Don't shoot the messenger"

Public health? How about the thousands of people who cant feed their families now? We dont care about them so much do we? 

Coronavirus only kill old people, I dont think it's to bad to get some of the old farangs out or in lockdown. To many angry old men in Thailand. If you have bad immune health, stay inside and let the rest of us enjoy!

• Like 1

I am happy to see countries stay cautious about covid 19.  If I lived in Thailand

the last thing I would want to see is a newly arrived tourist who is an unknown

as far as a carrier of covid, sit down close to me with no mask or no feeling that

they should social distance.     The Philippines is being cautious, and Thailand should

be the same.   Canada is being cautious and is luckily telling the Americans to stay

home. Essential travel only.    The restaurants that are open are still doing social 

distancing and the staff wear masks and gloves.    We still have car and truck accidents

in Canada and the USA, but that is a different story and I am glad that I do not work

as an ambulance worker or hospital worker who has to deal with the victims who

show up at the hospitals.   Stay safe, stay healthy and stay cautious, let the idiots who

think the covid is just another flu, catch it,  and then tell you how it was to recover

from this disease.

Geezer

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I am happy to see countries stay cautious about covid 19.  If I lived in Thailand

as far as a carrier of covid, sit down close to me with no mask or no feeling that

they should social distance.     The Philippines is being cautious, and Thailand should

be the same.   Canada is being cautious and is luckily telling the Americans to stay

home. Essential travel only.    The restaurants that are open are still doing social 

distancing and the staff wear masks and gloves.    We still have car and truck accidents

in Canada and the USA, but that is a different story and I am glad that I do not work

as an ambulance worker or hospital worker who has to deal with the victims who

show up at the hospitals.   Stay safe, stay healthy and stay cautious, let the idiots who

think the covid is just another flu, catch it,  and then tell you how it was to recover

from this disease.

Geezer

I would guess you have a steady stream of income every month - either working, retirement or investments...  What about the millions of unemployed who will soon have issues feeding their families, paying rent (once the Federal $600/ week expires at the end of July)?  Killing the economy will eventually cause more destruction and deaths than COVID-19

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

How come this Thai senior doctor with a very negative fearful opinion is listened to and a senior Consultant in the UK' NHS' system' voice is stifled when he said that COVID is not a virus and is not what it is said to be? He said that it is not as contageous nor serious as the flu. So why is his word stopped from being published or seen on You Tube? It does not fit the narrative. What is truly going on? In a country where no more than 60 people in total, all with underlying conditions were labelled as dying from COVID and no cases at all for over a month do they deprive a nation of its living? Just in case you havn' t surmised it by now, this is tyranny bought with your own unrealistc fears in order to control you. Any professional with a decenting voice is silenced when they stray from the narrative. Only a country of sheeple would shackle themselves in this way. "Question everything, especially those who would rule over you". History bears out the fact that unquestioned power leads to totalatarian rule and suffering. When yoi cannot question a narritive not produce evidence to the contrary without it being sensored, then you have to question the sensors!

As you said - it doesn't fit the narrative.. 

7 hours ago, Winky Wilson said:

The next wave showing up is BLM movement. Spain and Thailand are on the radar. US and UK are organizing plans for organizing outside the country when flights resume. I don't think Thailand is in a position for flights from Europe, Australia, or America. Alot more than the virus now. Distraught groups creating destruction of person and property who could care less about the consequences. Saying something unintentionally can create total public destruction beyond anyones control.

While I agree that the protests are causing a large portion of the surge in US cases, I do not believe that the Thai government will allow any BLM protests in the country.  Also not sure whether the average Thai worker or student really cares about this issue.  BLM is a topic in Europe, USA due to the ties to slavery and colonialism; in Australia due to issues with their indigenous population.  I have not heard about any large scale protests in China, Japan, Korea or other Asian countries either (or South America for that matter)  - maybe they happened, but definitely not reported in the media in the USA or Europe

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

they should social distance.     ...

Stay safe, stay healthy and stay cautious, let the idiots who

from this disease.

Geezer

If you are in a risk-category, you are wise to not be where some stranger could expose you.  If not, you'd likely never knew you had it, if you caught it, and have mild-symptoms at worst. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:49 AM, warcy said:

This doctor is probably too rich to realise that many people in Thailand are poor.

You're saying a Worldwide pandemic hurts poor people more than rich people?

Yes.  Yes, like everything else, poor people are more effected economically than the rich.

Yup. ????

11 hours ago, Russel said:

Yes of course let's waiting to meet our wives, fiancees, sons etc.. until the end of 2021 or better still in 2050.

You can also die of too much security and fear, and that's what's happening to you.

Um, if it's someone's family and it really means that much to them then why aren't they with them? Why did they leave them during a deadly worldwide virus situation? Only a dumb as fukkk person would do that. Oh, and btw this thread is about "foreign tourists", not people on marriage visas, etc..

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Still bizarre that doctors like him are happy to accept 40,000 road deaths a year but cry warnings over 58 Covid deaths.

The usual illogic, off topic whataboutism, and not bizarre at all. Where did the doc, or others like him, say he's "happy to accept" 40,000 road deaths a year?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Um, if it's someone's family and it really means that much to them then why aren't they with them? Why did they leave them during a deadly worldwide virus situation? Only a dumb as fukkk person would do that. Oh, and btw this thread is about "foreign tourists", not people on marriage visas, etc..

Why not FLM here in Thailand.

We could start it up bbi1. I'd be in the first group. I matter; I think.

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Why not FLM here in Thailand.

We could start it up bbi1. I'd be in the first group. I matter; I think.

Unfortunately FLM won't work in Thailand as foreigner lives don't matter here, only our cash. We can see that over the past few weeks with the number of racist businesses/bus companies/temples banning foreigners from entering. Racism is high in Thailand against non-Thais. We don't see Thais taking to the street to march for foreigners rights or against racism (even the wives/gfs of foreigners don't do this), or even post about these type of stuff on their social media. They all don't give a shtttt about us.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Unfortunately FLM won't work in Thailand as foreigner lives don't matter here, only our cash. We can see that over the past few weeks with the number of racist businesses/bus companies/temples banning foreigners from entering. Racism is high in Thailand against non-Thais. We don't see Thais taking to the street to march for foreigners rights or against racism, or even post about it on their social media. They all don't give a shtttt about us.

Bang on the money there bbi1.

They don't care; as you say. And anyway a march to support Farang Lives Matter would be met with tear gas and bullets.

We just have to accept or fate.

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

The usual illogic, off topic whataboutism, and not bizarre at all. Where did the doc, or others like him, say he's "happy to accept" 40,000 road deaths a year?

Of course he and the Government are happy to accept the road deaths. Have they instituted anything like the Covid measures to reduce road deaths.  Proper road training and proper driving tests. Compulsory and enforced helmet wearing. Stopping under age driving etc etc. They could easily save 20,000 road deaths a year if they really wanted, without any impact on the Thai economy. But they are happy to bankrupt the country to save 58 people.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2020 at 7:12 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Why do people compare Thailand, with no "alleged" internal cases for 33 days, with a country pretty well ravaged by Covid-19 ? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Thailand is not doing virus tests like the rest of the world. Thailand only does limiting tests. Think about it-really, Thailand does not want to be seen as a high risk. Think about how they record deaths from accidents. If you still have a pulse and get loaded on transport from the accident, hopefully to hospital and them die on the way. You did not die from an accident is the way the pad their stats to minimise deaths. Same for the virus, if you die at home, or where ever, it is not recorded as a death by virus. Thailand is padding their stats all the time to make deaths other than what they are. Really think about that, before you go out without a mask, or say there are no deaths from the virus in Thailand in a month. It is because of what they want you to think. Be safe, protect yourself,, it is real and it is in Thailand too. The government does not want panic

On 6/28/2020 at 11:39 AM, Scouse123 said:

No road accidents are not infectious, well done on that observation . 

But if studies are to be believed the overwhelming majority of people survive infection of Coronavirus.

The main groups, not talking about exceptions to the norm, are elderly. Infirm, those with underlying health conditions, etc

The whole world has been brought to a halt and economies trashed for a virus that has not even totalled the amount of deaths caused from annual flu globally.

A giant knee jerk over reaction for which the poorest in countries will suffer for years and years, made worse by governments that misunderstand the ramifications of what they are doing, and scientists and professionals in medicine sending out confusing and opposite messages to the media.

It doesn't help when heads of government deny the virus is a problem as in USA and Brazil, then we have Sweden letting it run its course and doing nothing, Europe opening back up come what may and Thailand and others extend lockdown if somebody sneezes.

So you are critical of governments that do not see covid as a problem and you are equally critical of those that do. 

Can you clarify please.