Where is your favorite place for a quick getaway in Thailand?

WineOh

For me its Hua Hin at the moment.

close to where im at and nice beach to boot.

i love a morning walk in the sun, followed by brunch with the sound of the waves crashing beside me ????

i also have a secret spot on Phuket where i go when i really want to get away from it all and switch off..

how about you lot?

where do you’s like to go for a bit of a getaway? 

Edited by Liverpoolfan

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've given up on Thailand.

Up in Chiang Mai, Saigon/Da Nang/Phnom Penh, even Siem Reap are easier (quicker and cheaper) to get to than Hua Hin.

COVID allowing.

I used to visit Hua Hin, but the 12hr bus journey each way was a bit of a chore.

Wasn't someone starting (pre covid) to do flights from Chiang Mai to HH.

When live in Hua Hin, a quick getaway is Chumpon to Pirate Terrace with fantastic pizza and burgers, and also thai food, and once and awhile affordable fresh in flewn king crab. Also a great music bar inside Chumpon city called Old Time Cafe I think. Good beer to. Beautiful beach roads all to way down almost. At leas nice scenic roads if you just stay off the highways. 

http://piratesterrace.com

2. Is Kanchcanaburi with ever option for National parks and mountains. 

When living in Chaiyaphum area, it is Petchabun road 12 over to Phitsanoluk and also to Uttaradit. Not to forget Phu Thap Bueak. Just to get on to the mountain roads feels good, with fresh chilled air in the evening and morning. 

3. Chiang Khan Loi. 

• Like 1

I am far from just about everywhere so 'quick getaway' for me is 5 hours minimum in minivans so that means Hua Hin for me too.

Hua Hin has everything I want in a break - very nice, great value hotels, good western and indian food, seafood, small bar streets and of course the beach. Been many times at different seasons and never been too crowded, though I hear it's packed now at weekends. It has for me a much friendlier vibe than Pattaya.

Wife and I agreed when we settled here on her land, it would only be on condition we went away somewhere once a month. It's been 4 months now and a break is very much on the cards soon.

I can't travel on a boat or the islands would be an option.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Absolutely worth it. Especially now. 

I heard its like samui back in the 70s/80s.

undeveloped, rustic and green..

right up my alley if that is the case.

I went to Koh Phangan last year for 3 nights after the full moon party had finsihed,

stayed in Ban thai.

i had a really good time there back in the early 00s but wasnt impressed with it this time.

the hotel i stayed at was dodgy as hell with a rude owner.

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

... travel was much more fun in the young days before the tourist explosions.. 

Couldn't agree more. I am planning on taking full advantage while tourist numbers are and, probably for a while, will stay very low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

What do they have there?

and why do you live in hat yai?

Songkhla is just a very pleasant seaside town, the food is good, there's a long beach for walks, beyond that not much else, but it makes for a change.

Why Hat Yai? We liked the city when we first visited, it's big but not too big, so has everything you really need in terms of shops, restaurants, nightlife, schools, hospitals and transport links. The wife also has family down here which helps. We've lived here fifteen years now, no intentions of leaving.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Songkhla is just a very pleasant seaside town, the food is good, there's a long beach for walks, beyond that not much else, but it makes for a change.

Why Hat Yai? We liked the city when we first visited, it's big but not too big, so has everything you really need in terms of shops, restaurants, nightlife, schools, hospitals and transport links. The wife also has family down here which helps. We've lived here fifteen years now, no intentions of leaving.

Sounds like you have found your place in the world. 

fair play to you.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've given up on Thailand.

Up in Chiang Mai, Saigon/Da Nang/Phnom Penh, even Siem Reap are easier (quicker and cheaper) to get to than Hua Hin.

COVID allowing.

I used to visit Hua Hin, but the 12hr bus journey each way was a bit of a chore.

Glad that you can afford the $3,000 deposit (Cambodia) that you might get back.

14 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I went to Koh Phangan last year for 3 nights after the full moon party had finsihed,

stayed in Ban thai.

i had a really good time there back in the early 00s but wasnt impressed with it this time.

the hotel i stayed at was dodgy as hell with a rude owner.

Next time on KPN try the NW coast. Koh Maa. Great little spot. Nice and quiet. Great sunsets, seafood and beer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That wont last long mate.

as soon as that ridiculous requirement is removed i will be the first one through the doors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Mae hong son on your doorstep..

have you been to Nan, Pai etc?

Pai just seems to be one big backpackers "resort" , everything seems to be geared up for tourists and nothing local .

Many backpackers and Thais working in the tourist trade .

27 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I did specify 'COVID allowing'.

I won't be going anywhere while there are any travel restrictions beyond taking my temperature and signing a form.

While all this silliness is happening, home is as good as anywhere.

40bht to use the swimming pool in the next soi, will be happy when the restaurant above it is back in action.

IMG_20200620_160719.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I did specify 'COVID allowing'.

I won't be going anywhere while there are any travel restrictions beyond taking my temperature and signing a form.

While all this silliness is happening, home is as good as anywhere.

40bht to use the swimming pool in the next soi, will be happy when the restaurant above it is back in action.

IMG_20200620_160719.jpg

Nice.

where is it mate?

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Mae hong son on your doorstep..

have you been to Nan, Pai etc?

Chiang Rai is actually my favorite city in Thailand, and if living up there you got nice scenic areas close by. Pai is ok, but crowded of hiptsters and other cool dudes and girls, but still nice for a drive truough with a night or two. On the  Other side you got Nan And Phayao. Have been around Thailand more than twice on a motorbike, and starting travelling again now to find new scenic small roads to experience. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

SanSai behind MaeJo new post office.

The restaurant above has young serving ladies (from MaeJo university) in beer dresses.

Right up your street then, eh la ????

Kanchanaburi and Prachuap are my get away places.I kind of live in between the two and i like both places.

Have been doing this for years so i know a few people there.

Like to drive around both places and do some shopping.

I was in Prachuap last month,beer in cups with your meal and very relaxed.

• Like 1