Well Thank You, Thank You Uncle Sam

Alf Witt

"International Herald Tribune Published: April 19, 2007

BANGKOK, Thailand: Thailand's powerful army chief has rejected an American offer to help quell an Islamic insurgency in the country's south."

Iraq mourns after bloodiest day in months

Grieving relatives retrieved bodies from hospital morgues Thursday, and passers-by gawked at the giant crater left by a market bomb in one of four attacks that killed 183 people on the bloodiest day since the U.S. troop increase began nine weeks ago."

Apologies if this should have been posted in the jokes forum.

Congratulations to Thailand's Army Chief. Who says the Military cannot be diplomatic? Personally I would have told Uncle Sam to stick his offer where his brain resides.

Is there anyone and I mean ANYONE on this forum who is going to criticise the Thai Government's decision on this one?

Oh come on, these guys are EXPERTS at counter-insurgency....lol

We (America) really stuck our hand into the garbage disposal (while it was running), on this one.

What a freaking senseless waste of lives. And Iran is in the catbird seat right now, licking their smarmy little lips....

Edited by mcgriffith

From the Nation

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has asked officials to explore the possibility of granting an amnesty to militants in the Malay-speaking South as part of a government strategy to restore peace in the Muslim-majority region, which has been plagued by more than three years of almost daily killings and violence.

An amnesty would guarantee that the surrendered insurgents would not face further legal charges for their

participation in the insurgency, which has claimed more than 2,000 lives since January 2004.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/04/21...es_30032344.php

Thailand refused the American offer because America was mistaken by assuming Thailand wanted the killers of all those innocent women and children to face some sort of penalty.

They did not know that Thailand wants to just kiss and make up.

Welcome to the future Islamic republic of Thailandistan

From the Nation

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has asked officials to explore the possibility of granting an amnesty to militants in the Malay-speaking South as part of a government strategy to restore peace in the Muslim-majority region, which has been plagued by more than three years of almost daily killings and violence.

An amnesty would guarantee that the surrendered insurgents would not face further legal charges for their

participation in the insurgency, which has claimed more than 2,000 lives since January 2004.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/04/21...es_30032344.php

Thailand refused the American offer because America was mistaken by assuming Thailand wanted the killers of all those innocent women and children to face some sort of penalty.

They did not know that Thailand wants to just kiss and make up.

:o

We have no business in Iraq we never did (except when they invaded Kuwait). As far as Thailand goes they are allies of the USA and the USA supplies a large quantity of their military equipment, we should have been here helping them a long time ago but they have no oil. I guess the thing to do now is offer assistance to Thailand since the circle-jerk in Iraq is lost that way the USA saves a little face and can move the troops for a "good reason" or it gives Bush a reason to send more troops in the general direction of Iraq without having to request them for Iraq. Who knows what mad George could be up to now?

There's much more to the U.S. military than Iraq. The U.S. military helps many countries around the world in many ways. But I'm glad the OP overreacted and the Iraq War bash could begin on yet another thread.

We have no business in Iraq we never did (except when they invaded Kuwait). As far as Thailand goes they are allies of the USA and the USA supplies a large quantity of their military equipment, we should have been here helping them a long time ago but they have no oil. I guess the thing to do now is offer assistance to Thailand since the circle-jerk in Iraq is lost that way the USA saves a little face and can move the troops for a "good reason" or it gives Bush a reason to send more troops in the general direction of Iraq without having to request them for Iraq. Who knows what mad George could be up to now?

I believe that what most people fail to realize is that the problem is south has more to do with their ethnic relations that to Islam. Yes it is true but sad that they take the name of religion but it is also true that if you goto south you will find the javi (malay) script written and malay is spoken widely.

Even in south common man, including Muslims, are suffering from the acts of few people.

Another reason is economic as well, people in south do not have many opportunities to work, as most of them are not well educated and do not speak proper English/Thai as compare to people in Bangkok or any other place, therefore they have less chances to get jobs and that creates frustration among them.

I agree that this is not someone else's fault from them being uneducated, however, I also believe that government should take some actions and start such business that require manual workers, such as shoes, clothes manufacturing etc. In this way when these people have job they will not think of killing other people. Since they have nothing to loose, no job, no money etc. therefore they do not want to see anyone else happy. Sad but true, this has to be changed so that innocent lives could be saved, whether being Muslims, Buddhist or any other religion.

For me humanity comes first than any religion. We should respect humanity, the appreciation of religion would be developed by itself. :o

What insurgencies?

Also, if you read the article, you'll notice no soldiers or manpower were offered, just advice and training. U.S. soldiers train with Thai soldiers here once a year in the Cobra exercises so it was probably just something along the same line. It's nothing sinister and nothing to do with Iraq. Give it a rest ya'll.

Edited by Jimjim

BANGKOK, Thailand: Thailand's powerful army chief has rejected an American offer to help quell an Islamic insurgency in the country's south."

Iraq mourns after bloodiest day in months

Grieving relatives retrieved bodies from hospital morgues Thursday, and passers-by gawked at the giant crater left by a market bomb in one of four attacks that killed 183 people on the bloodiest day since the U.S. troop increase began nine weeks ago."

Apologies if this should have been posted in the jokes forum.

Congratulations to Thailand's Army Chief. Who says the Military cannot be diplomatic? Personally I would have told Uncle Sam to stick his offer where his brain resides.

Is there anyone and I mean ANYONE on this forum who is going to criticise the Thai Government's decision on this one?

I'm not a fan of the current powers-that-be (=the military) in BKK. But having said that, I agree with the Army Chief on this one issue.

The involvement of any outside Military forces, in whatever capacity (even an advisory or training role) would potentially escalate things.

IMHO, the correct decision has been made.

If consideration were to be given to bringing in outside advisors, would it not be best to look at their qualifications, and the outcomes of other similar conflicts that they are involved in.

In that case the CV of the US Military, may not be get them the job, IMHO....

What a joke. I'm a retired from the army in 2003. I did 20 years in the U.S. Army and I think this offer is a joke.

It's like asking THAKSIN Chinnawat to help write the Thai constitution because he is an honest person and great politician. Or getting Bill Clinton to give a lecture on faithfullness in a marriage.

The U.S. can't finish the job they started in Iraq and they are trying to offer themselves to another country as a resident expert? Unbelievable !!!

If you ask me, the U.S. wouldn't offer to do this unless there was some kind of strategic interest in the region that they were concerned about. Maybe they want to keep a closer watch on China or Myanmar.

There is nothing honest about this offer. One hand is offering assistance while the other is behind the back hiding something.

Edited by richard10365

The US administration is just looking for some good news headlines to detract from the fiasco they have created by going after non-existent enemies in a place totally unrelated to 9/11.

The best solution here would be to rescind all US passports, stop issuing new ones and let them all blast away at each other within their own borders.

/No, sorry, I will not serve ketchup as standard with fried rice in Thailand, despite what the 'real' Thai restaurant back home in the good ol' USofA does

//Actual request from a family of Mormon imbeciles.

///Words fail me

The US administration is just looking for some good news headlines to detract from the fiasco they have created by going after non-existent enemies in a place totally unrelated to 9/11.

The best solution here would be to rescind all US passports, stop issuing new ones and let them all blast away at each other within their own borders.

/No, sorry, I will not serve ketchup as standard with fried rice in Thailand, despite what the 'real' Thai restaurant back home in the good ol' USofA does

///Words fail me

Would that that were true!

What a joke. I'm a retired from the army in 2003. I did 20 years in the U.S. Army and I think this offer is a joke.

It's like asking THAKSIN Chinnawat to help write the Thai constitution because he is an honest person and great politician. Or getting Bill Clinton to give a lecture on faithfullness in a marriage.

The U.S. can't finish the job they started in Iraq and they are trying to offer themselves to another country as a resident expert? Unbelievable !!!

If you ask me, the U.S. wouldn't offer to do this unless there was some kind of strategic interest in the region that they were concerned about. Maybe they want to keep a closer watch on China or Myanmar.

There is nothing honest about this offer. One hand is offering assistance while the other is behind the back hiding something.

Good post and a fresh breath coming from a ex USArmy.

Does anybody remember late 2001, early 2002,

The whole "with us or against us" thing?

I was living on Koh Chang at the time.

Thailand had (has still?) a WTO agreed monopoly on a certain strain of jasmine rice.

When Thailand initially said, "no thanks, neither with nor against, we'll stay out of this one",

america(n gov't) then threatened to allow their farmers to mass produce this strain, (essentially saying F.You to the WTO and thailand) which of course would have devastating effects on thailand's economy.

So Thailand had to relent and provide support (which I believe was bases, ground support) /

Thereafter, we had fighter jets breaking the sound barrier above our peaceful and idyllic existance on Koh chang!!

As mr. richard ex army man said, One hand offers help while the other...

Edit: spelling

Edited by kayo

///Words fail me

Aww.... still defending Chimpy McFlightsuit and the rest of his absurd foreign policy? It has to be tough being you right now and realising that almost everything the shrub admin told you was complete BS. Stay home and enroll in VA tech, I suggest a course in foreign affairs :o

/It was true about the morons insisting on ketchup with Thai food as standard, do you want to defend those <deleted> too?

///Words fail me

Aww.... still defending Chimpy McFlightsuit and the rest of his absurd foreign policy? It has to be tough being you right now and realising that almost everything the shrub admin told you was complete BS. Stay home and enroll in VA tech, I suggest a course in foreign affairs :D

/It was true about the morons insisting on ketchup with Thai food as standard, do you want to defend those <deleted> too?

Blah, blah blah! :o

I wanted to respond to this Ketchup thing. When my wife first came to the US from Thailand.

I had prepared a very nice Cappellini Pomadoro (angel hair pasta) instead of using the fresh tomato sauce I made from scratch, she wanted to put ketchup and sugar on it.

I didn't have either in the house so I went to get some. It became one of her favorite "Italian" dishes.

Needless to say I have been in counseling ever since.

Ketchup on spagetti?! Tell me none of your girlfriends/wives have done this... :D

This is a Thai thing, you can't blame the US for this too :o