Here Is Proof The Bangkok Condo Market Is Still Booming

If STABILITY is what we're discussing then Vietnam is more stable than Thailand in almost any legitimate way you want to measure it.

And if we're thinking about investment I would add that the work ethic is more prevelant there too.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - Vietnam - Once a part of the French empire I believe? Then an attempt was made on the part of the US/Spanish empire true or false?

Thailand did not circum (I think that is the correct term) to colonial rule and then withstood the direct impact of the Second World War; they are doing better than most.

Are you saying that los is as stable as the uk or germany, or are you just trying to confuse the issue with talk of the 2nd world war :o .

If you tell us why you think los is such a good investment opportunity we may all be swayed to your side of the arguement and invest our baht.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

aloha ... i am an owner of the infinity.... when i bought (over two years ago) it was one of 5 apartments left...... while the ownership allows for an high expat ownership, over 70% of the buyer are thai citizens............i am intrested in renting my 2 bedroom unit.... i , may??, even consider selling... i am not 100% sure about the general market.

arnawood

i have never posted here before and not sure of the rules of contact

aloha ... i am an owner of the infinity.... when i bought (over two years ago) it was one of 5 apartments left...... while the ownership allows for an high expat ownership, over 70% of the buyer are thai citizens............i am intrested in renting my 2 bedroom unit.... i , may??, even consider selling... i am not 100% sure about the general market.

arnawood

i have never posted here before and not sure of the rules of contact

Congratulations on an outstanding investment.

I think you will do very well buying into Infinity.

I don't know what your financial situation is but if I had managed to buy in, there would be no way I would consider selling in the near future.

I would sit on this investment...collect the high rent and reap in the capital gains later.

Well done

one more time for those of you who missed class........when supply is greater than demand, prices fall

enjoy........get some sleep prkv.......

Number of New Units of New Housing in Bangkok

<a href="http://thaicrisis.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bothousing.jpg" target="_blank">http://thaicrisis.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bothousing.jpg</a>

I have looked at the link you provided Bingo, and it does not relate to high end condo sales in prime locations in Bangkok.

Your post is totally irrelavant to this threat. Why do you keep refering to low to middle end condo sales?

one more time for those of you who missed class........when supply is greater than demand, prices fall

<a href="http://thaicrisis.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bothousing.jpg" target="_blank">http://thaicrisis.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bothousing.jpg</a>

You made that chart up your self didn't you? :o

Looks like someone has discovered MS Excel and been experimenting with graphs! :D

Looks like someone has discovered MS Excel and been experimenting with graphs! :D

He posted that graph in another thread too, and I offered my views on it then. I repeat, that it is actually encouraging to compare the huge difference between supply levels of 1997 and today.

There will always be first time buyers, and in a market such as this, which has poor resales market total supply will see continued growth.

Edited by quiksilva

"Why do you keep refering to low to middle end condo sales?"

Because, bingobongo and his boyfriend aren't looking for nice housing, they are looking for the absolutely cheapest housing available.

I looked at a 36 sqm, one-bedroom unit. The WC was so small, it should have been installed in a doll's house. Wedgedbetween the sink and shower, a normal-sized farang would need a block-and-tackle arrangement to get on or off. The flooring was the cheapest plastic laminated product available. The furniture, rather than wood, was pressed fiberboard, covered with thin wood-grained plastic. According to bingobongo, that is still too lavish for him.

Because, bingobongo and his boyfriend aren't looking for nice housing, they are looking for the absolutely cheapest housing available.

I looked at a 36 sqm, one-bedroom unit. The WC was so small, it should have been installed in a doll's house. Wedgedbetween the sink and shower, a normal-sized farang would need a block-and-tackle arrangement to get on or off. The flooring was the cheapest plastic laminated product available. The furniture, rather than wood, was pressed fiberboard, covered with thin wood-grained plastic. According to bingobongo, that is still too lavish for him.

Well then since it's two guys - maybe they just need a urinal - and maybe they can pop round to your place to take a sh+t?

Anyway, Backflip you're running counter to your own argument there old fella....Bangkok (especially) is now flooded with new condos online, coming online and in the pipeline (off-plan)...Even an 'optimist' like you would question that wouldn't you?

Hey buddy, LOOK the market is deciding! You're a fan of markets setting the pace right?

Well then since it's two guys - maybe they just need a urinal - and maybe they can pop round to your place to take a sh+t?

Anyway, Backflip you're running counter to your own argument there old fella....Bangkok (especially) is now flooded with new condos online, coming online and in the pipeline (off-plan)...Even an 'optimist' like you would question that wouldn't you?

Hey buddy, LOOK the market is deciding! You're a fan of markets setting the pace right?

If what you say is the case Thaigene then please explain to me why high end projects are selling faster than hotcakes?

And can you please explain to me why I have had firm offers to buy my condo even before it is complete?

Can you please tell me why other investors are being turned away at the door because developments are being sold out way before completion?

If there is such a glut of new high end condo's on the market then can you also please explain why "Infinity" (please see photo's on the OP) would put up a huge banner with "100% sold out"

"LOOK the market is deciding" is correct....and it has decided the high end market is still booming.

I rest my case :o

If what you say is the case Thaigene then please explain to me why high end projects are selling faster than hotcakes?

And can you please explain to me why I have had firm offers to buy my condo even before it is complete?

Can you please tell me why other investors are being turned away at the door because developments are being sold out way before completion?

If there is such a glut of new high end condo's on the market then can you also please explain why "Infinity" (please see photo's on the OP) would put up a huge banner with "100% sold out"

"LOOK the market is deciding" is correct....and it has decided the high end market is still booming.

I rest my case :o

and a very good case it is... :D

offcourse the market is booming not only in high end but in middle and low end too.

there is a huge market of people looking to buy a condo in bangkok as a second home or as resort home.. why???

becuase its cheaper then any other city.

many of the buyers dont think of this as as investment but more of a life style purchase.

Bangkok offers cheap food, cheap entertainment, and low living costs.

many of those condos are not even put up for rent the owners dont bother with that and just keep it.

As long As bangkok offers a low living costs it will be booming.

and a very good case it is... :o

offcourse the market is booming not only in high end but in middle and low end too.

there is a huge market of people looking to buy a condo in bangkok as a second home or as resort home.. why???

becuase its cheaper then any other city.

many of the buyers dont think of this as as investment but more of a life style purchase.

Bangkok offers cheap food, cheap entertainment, and low living costs.

many of those condos are not even put up for rent the owners dont bother with that and just keep it.

As long As bangkok offers a low living costs it will be booming.

US citizans will disagree due to the collapse in the USD against all major currencies and perhaps the collapse of the US property market. Being from the UK GBPTHB= is strengthening and Thai property looks cheap to me and indeed in some instances of very much superior quality.

• 1 year later...
Well the Infinity is now complete and tenants are moving in.

To all the posters that predicted that only speculators were buying Infinity condo's off the plan...WRONG.

There is not one resale on the market!!

Further proof the high end condo market is STILL booming in Bangkok :o

Infinity was sold out a few years ago, i have seen ads for resale ,but do not know if anyone is buying ,where is the proof the high end Bangkok market is booming ?

• 2 months later...
Just nudging it up...to show how ridiculous this thread was when it emerged.

True, put up by an amateur but then...

Hmm.. Still smarting TTM? I bet you wish you never bought in Bum Na huh? Oops, sorry Bang Na :o

Of course you lost money buying out there in the boonies but you really should try to get over it.

The rest of us that bought in the right locations are now reeping in the rewards.

I myself have made 40% on my investment on the currency spread alone! not including the capital gains over the past few years. Oh and the rents I recieve on top of that.

No my dear Think-Not-Enough, The post was and is true. Condo's along the Suk soi's 22-26 are selling like hot cakes and new developments are starting all the time, supply cannot keep up with demand.

Don't believe me? just go for a walk down those areas and look at all the sold out signs. Same goes for Thong Lo areas too.

You really should try to work through your resentments, it's bad for your health you know. :D

, The post was and is true. Condo's along the Suk soi's 22-26 are selling like hot cakes and new developments are starting all the time, supply cannot keep up with demand.

That is the most funny post i read in a long time, it really should be moved to the Jokes thread ,good one :o

50-60% equates to sold out for you?

yes, some projects are doing well, in particular - ideo - but most of the best selling projects are in the 2-4 million range. i have been pounding the pavement for the past two weeks and will be signing on a new place next week.

edited to address the first part of this to livinginexile

Edited by shochu

Hmm.. Still smarting TTM? I bet you wish you never bought in Bum Na huh? Oops, sorry Bang Na :o

Of course you lost money buying out there in the boonies but you really should try to get over it.

The rest of us that bought in the right locations are now reeping in the rewards.

Hahaha...I am glad to be far from sexpat and social rejects areas.

I myself have made 40% on my investment on the currency spread alone! not including the capital gains over the past few years. Oh and the rents I recieve on top of that.

Having wet dreams?

You can't sell it for 40% of what you paid.

I can imagine a movie scene: a guy comes for an interview and there is a panel of people.

Someone asks "Where do you live?" and the guy says "Trendy, Sukhumvit".

Then...silence...camera goes over the grimasses people put on, jaws drop, spectacles falling off their noses, one guy who was sipping water starts choking....Did he get a job? Why not?

That's where "the right location" can land you.

No my dear Think-Not-Enough, The post was and is true. Condo's along the Suk soi's 22-26 are selling like hot cakes and new developments are starting all the time, supply cannot keep up with demand.

Don't believe me? just go for a walk down those areas and look at all the sold out signs. Same goes for Thong Lo areas too.

You really should try to work through your resentments, it's bad for your health you know. :D

Thanks for repeating it - that's exactly why I dug out this thread - to show how .....

I read in the news there are about 20,000 condo units remaining in the market and it should take 3 years to clear the stock. I think Thai people never had reasons to buy condos until petrol price went up like crazy, the traffic also got much worse and small houses in the middle of nowhere now costs at least 6 million!! All these together with the modern lifestyle and BTS lines forced high demand in inner-city living although I'd say it's more like a punishment to live in city areas of Bangkok which can only be described as smelly and ugly.

The infinity building looks almost complete today so we will soon find out how many units will be transferred. Anyway You'll be surprised to learn how much some som-tum and noodle sellers make in one day..Many people who sell something and not work in an office in Thailand can make up to 100,000 a day so 100,000 per sqm is not a big deal for them and many high-end projects have the majority of thai buyers so the 49% ownership share is not really a problem except in Pattaya, Phuket and Samui but the rest of the units can be sold as leasehold.

I think the property price in Thailand reflects the big gap between the rich and the poor. Compare to the average wage Thailand must be with the most expensive properties in world? The rent starts at 6,000 a month for a tiny tiny studio in a reasonably clean looking building when most people make 10,000 a month. You dare not dream of renting 1-2 Bedroom apartments if ur Thai. 3-star Hotel now start from 3,000 a night and I see lots of hotels I wouldn't even give 1 star for the same price in famous locations. Something's really really wrong here!!

"The infinity building looks almost complete today so we will soon find out how many units will be transferred."

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to know how many of the units will be transferred. I spend nearly every day of my retirement concerned about the sell-through of the Infinity. When you write "soon", how soon is that? No matter, it's not soon enough.

According to a couple real estate brokers I contacted, the building is "sold out", and resale units are available.

"I think the property price in Thailand reflects the big gap between the rich and the poor."

As it does in every other country on the face of the earth.

I read in the news there are about 20,000 condo units remaining in the market and it should take 3 years to clear the stock. I think Thai people never had reasons to buy condos until petrol price went up like crazy, the traffic also got much worse and small houses in the middle of nowhere now costs at least 6 million!! All these together with the modern lifestyle and BTS lines forced high demand in inner-city living although I'd say it's more like a punishment to live in city areas of Bangkok which can only be described as smelly and ugly.

The infinity building looks almost complete today so we will soon find out how many units will be transferred. Anyway You'll be surprised to learn how much some som-tum and noodle sellers make in one day..Many people who sell something and not work in an office in Thailand can make up to 100,000 a day so 100,000 per sqm is not a big deal for them and many high-end projects have the majority of thai buyers so the 49% ownership share is not really a problem except in Pattaya, Phuket and Samui but the rest of the units can be sold as leasehold.

I think the property price in Thailand reflects the big gap between the rich and the poor. Compare to the average wage Thailand must be with the most expensive properties in world? The rent starts at 6,000 a month for a tiny tiny studio in a reasonably clean looking building when most people make 10,000 a month. You dare not dream of renting 1-2 Bedroom apartments if ur Thai. 3-star Hotel now start from 3,000 a night and I see lots of hotels I wouldn't even give 1 star for the same price in famous locations. Something's really really wrong here!!

You can take out a lot of " would be " farang buyers out of the picture now because

their retirement funs are shot to pieces. How many Thais can afford to absorb 20,000 condos ? :D

And i just cant believe there are many Thai som-tum and noodle sellers making 100,000 baht a day -?

Yes there is something totally out of synch with what you are saying :o

Hahaha...I am glad to be far from sexpat and social rejects areas.

Having wet dreams?

You can't sell it for 40% of what you paid.

I can imagine a movie scene: a guy comes for an interview and there is a panel of people.

Someone asks "Where do you live?" and the guy says "Trendy, Sukhumvit".

Then...silence...camera goes over the grimasses people put on, jaws drop, spectacles falling off their noses, one guy who was sipping water starts choking....Did he get a job? Why not?

That's where "the right location" can land you.

Thanks for repeating it - that's exactly why I dug out this thread - to show how .....

Think-Not-Enough...I will talk slowly and try to explain to you some basic economics...please stop me if I go too fast :D

I bought when the AUS$ was at 30bht.

Now it is at 23bht

If I sold for the same price I bought (in Thai bht), and then convert back to AUS$ I would make nearly 40% on my original investment.

Plus I can sell for at LEAST another 20% on the capital gains I've made.

Plus the rent I have allready recieved.

Are you following this?...Good.

Now...that equates to a very good investment. Far better than the returns I would have made investing in say, Sydney.

Think-Not-Enough, can you understand this?

Just because your investment out in the boonies is dropping like a stone it doesn't meen everyone else who bought smart is suffering the same fate as you.

You'll get over it mate :D

"one more time for those of you who missed class........when supply is greater than demand, prices fall"

If the chart you provided was correct, there were 600,000 housing units built is BKK during the past decade. The chart did not indicate the cumulative demand. How can you use that chart to prove your point that there is an oversupply?