How to legally marry in thailand

phka

On 7/13/2020 at 12:22 AM, CLS said:
On 7/13/2020 at 12:16 AM, torturedsole said:

Yes, Thai version and translated certified version chopped by MFA.   

Ok, and how is inheritance and pension handled in the UK if not registered?

By a marriage certificate!

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The marriage is still not acknowledged "automatically" in the UK. 

It doesn't have to be "acknowledged in the UK," if someone gets married legally, anywhere, then they are legally married.  The UK does not have to approve or acknowledge it!

• Like 1

You need a CNI,.. (Certificate of Non-Impediment to marry Contact the UK Embassy) A translation of the CNI Letter and then you attend a registry at your local ampfor.  Is your daughter registered as a UK Citizen? Where in Thailand are you based?  Any lawyer firm can guide you.  If you want you can notify your embassy of the marriage. You might like to also consider writing a will

Edited by OffshoreMig
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

well,  that is certainly a lot "clearer than mud" ..... as the OP has so put others comments.

I don't see a thank you from him......  

Thanks for your observation.... I'm not in it for the 'brownie points', but its nice to know that the information given is appreciated.... so as the Thais say.... Mia Pen Rai (No Problem).

• Like 1

Hi

My wife and I were married legally in Thailand 22 years ago.

For recognition by various agencies in UK she only needed her Thai passport in the married name.

She has the beautiful Thai marriage certificate with a certified translation which she has never had to show.

I have to use it to obtain a Thai visa.

She obtained a UK citizenship and qualifies for 50% pension upon my demise and all the benefits that citizenship allows, but she is now in a position to support herself and not have to work.

All UK government agencies recognise the marriage in Thailand.

Those who disagree have obviously not been living in the UK with their wife.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

You need a CNI,.. (Certificate of Non-Impediment to marry Contact the UK Embassy) A translation of the CNI Letter and then you attend a registry at your local ampfor.  Is your daughter registered as a UK Citizen? Where in Thailand are you based?  Any lawyer firm can guide you.  If you want you can notify your embassy of the marriage. You might like to also consider writing a will

The Document is the 'Affirmation of Freedom to Marry’ which then needs to be translated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Firstly you’ve misquoted torturedsole by clipping his post. 

you are right, of course.  this is an internet forum where humor sometimes takes liberties

with quotes and many other things.   sorry if it offended you,  many saw it for what it was..

just a joke.   Of course the many "comedians" , including late night television shows, all use

this offensive type of humor.  apologies from us all

If i wanted to be "serious" .... i would write a much longer and detailed explanation of my thoughts

on the pros and cons of "marriage".  I would probably start by quoting the definition " Marriage is a legally sanctioned contract between a man and a woman. Entering into a marriage contract changes the legal status of both parties ...." etc etc      

I don't really care to spend my time doing that..... so i stand by my misquote.

Thank you for sharing the pros with us.    There are some, i do not deny it.

9 hours ago, 007 RED said:

OP.... Firstly congratulations on eventually deciding to take the plunge and marry your long term partner.

As someone has already mentioned, and I would fully endorse, you should visit the amphur where you propose to marry and enquire what documents that they require.  This is because undoubtedly each amphur will have its own list of requirements and you want to be sure that when you arrive there to get married you have all the correct documents and don't have your day ruined because you missed something which they require.

What you will need (in all cases) is an Affirmation of Marital Status certified by the British Embassy.  If you go to the Embassy link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand you will find all the details of what you need to obtain the affirmation.  You may also need a certified copy of your passport which can be done at the same time - some Amphurs require this, some don't.

Once you have obtained the certified Affirmation of Marital Status (and certified copy of passport if required) from the British Embassy you will need to get the affirmation translated into Thai and have then have the Thai translation certified by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok.  FYI -  some translation services can arrange (at an additional cost) to have their translation certified by the MFA.

As for having your marriage registered in the UK, if you read Q14 in the Guidance Notes & Q&A provided in the link I which I have provided above you will see that there is no requirement or facility to do this in the UK. You will need to keep a copy of your local Thai marriage certificate as evidence of your marriage.  FYI - You used to be able to register your marriage by presenting a copy of your marriage certificate and MFA certified English translation of the marriage certificate to the British Embassy who would then forward it to the UK Registrar General Office, but this is no longer required as your Thai marriage certificate is accepted in the UK (I suggest that you still get it translated into English and certified by MFA as most Brits back in the UK will have no idea what the certificate says).

Best of luck.

Thanks 007 red very helpful

9 hours ago, 007 RED said:

OP.... Firstly congratulations on eventually deciding to take the plunge and marry your long term partner.

As someone has already mentioned, and I would fully endorse, you should visit the amphur where you propose to marry and enquire what documents that they require.  This is because undoubtedly each amphur will have its own list of requirements and you want to be sure that when you arrive there to get married you have all the correct documents and don't have your day ruined because you missed something which they require.

What you will need (in all cases) is an Affirmation of Marital Status certified by the British Embassy.  If you go to the Embassy link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand you will find all the details of what you need to obtain the affirmation.  You may also need a certified copy of your passport which can be done at the same time - some Amphurs require this, some don't.

Once you have obtained the certified Affirmation of Marital Status (and certified copy of passport if required) from the British Embassy you will need to get the affirmation translated into Thai and have then have the Thai translation certified by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok.  FYI -  some translation services can arrange (at an additional cost) to have their translation certified by the MFA.

As for having your marriage registered in the UK, if you read Q14 in the Guidance Notes & Q&A provided in the link I which I have provided above you will see that there is no requirement or facility to do this in the UK. You will need to keep a copy of your local Thai marriage certificate as evidence of your marriage.  FYI - You used to be able to register your marriage by presenting a copy of your marriage certificate and MFA certified English translation of the marriage certificate to the British Embassy who would then forward it to the UK Registrar General Office, but this is no longer required as your Thai marriage certificate is accepted in the UK (I suggest that you still get it translated into English and certified by MFA as most Brits back in the UK will have no idea what the certificate says).

Best of luck.

Any idea how much an affidavit from the British embassy costs

On 7/15/2020 at 10:11 AM, Max69xl said:

The marriage is still not acknowledged "automatically" in the UK. 

What 'acknowledgement' do you think is necessary ?

If you actually mean 'recognised' then you are incorrect. A legal marriage in Thailand is recognised worldwide and I have personal knowledge of the Thai marriage certificate (translated) being accepted by UK banks, lawyers, the UK government and pension/insurance companies.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:30 PM, windas said:

Hi

My wife and I were married legally in Thailand 22 years ago.

For recognition by various agencies in UK she only needed her Thai passport in the married name.

She has the beautiful Thai marriage certificate with a certified translation which she has never had to show.

I have to use it to obtain a Thai visa.

She obtained a UK citizenship and qualifies for 50% pension upon my demise and all the benefits that citizenship allows, but she is now in a position to support herself and not have to work.

All UK government agencies recognise the marriage in Thailand.

Those who disagree have obviously not been living in the UK with their wife.

Just a couple of points... to be clear about the 50% of pension - that does not apply to the State Pension. That will be a private pension and the 50% will depend on scheme rules..... bear in mind that most pension schemes make a deduction for age difference. In my case my partner is 19 years younger so will get 45% rather than 50%. Note also that it nothing to do with marriage, it is about the scheme trustees accepting your nominated wife/partner..... we have been together 14 years and my scheme trustees accepted my nomination of her 10 years ago.

One important to thing to remember is that marriage invalidates a Will. The bulk of my UK estate will go to my daughters, should I choose to marry at any point I will need to write a new Will. Otherwise, in the event of my death, my wife will inherit everything under the rules of intestacy.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 1:05 PM, hotandsticky said:

Just a couple of points... to be clear about the 50% of pension - that does not apply to the State Pension. That will be a private pension and the 50% will depend on scheme rules..... bear in mind that most pension schemes make a deduction for age difference. In my case my partner is 19 years younger so will get 45% rather than 50%. Note also that it nothing to do with marriage, it is about the scheme trustees accepting your nominated wife/partner..... we have been together 14 years and my scheme trustees accepted my nomination of her 10 years ago.

One important to thing to remember is that marriage invalidates a Will. The bulk of my UK estate will go to my daughters, should I choose to marry at any point I will need to write a new Will. Otherwise, in the event of my death, my wife will inherit everything under the rules of intestacy.

If you did marry then correct everything would go to your wife if you didn't make a will, if she is not a uk citezen then only £300,000 will go to her free of inheritance tax the remainder will be taxed at 40%

I got married in Thailand and back in Europe I'm still single (I didn't report anything). I got new passport and new ID still as a single guy. I'm still paying taxes as a single guy. If you personally don't report your country knows nothing about this marriage.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 7:32 PM, phka said:

Thanks 007 red very helpful

Just been reading up on what to do 

Do I have to type out my own aff

On 7/15/2020 at 7:52 PM, phka said:

Any idea how much an affidavit from the British embassy costs

Just been reading up on what I have to do not sure of one thing, do I have to type out my own Affirmation form to  take with me when I go.